Warhammer 40K Forum

New Battle Idea
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jul 2006, 17:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default New Battle Idea

<Still trying to think of a cool title, so Iím open to suggestions>

Iím always looking for new ways to play 40k, because the ways that they out for you are a bit limited and I prefer to do things my own way.

The biggest thing that has always bothered me is that I love small battles, but I hate the fact that we have to follow the 1HQ+2 Troops mandatory selections or play combat patrol which is just as limiting.

So thatís where this idea stemmed from. I was working on some tournament ideas and I saw an idea to have multiple battles all being part of a bigger battle. I've played it before at 1500 points per battle, but it is still very long, and I'm looking for a fun afternoon, not a long day.

Then I had the idea to break that down into the entire battle being 1500 points, and 3 smaller engagements at 500 points each. Iíve been working on it off and on all day, and this is about where Iíve gotten in my best attempts:

Army Rules:
1500 Point list
-Standard Force Organization Chart
-Standard Codex Rules

Separate the 1500 Point list into 3 500 point companies following these standards:
Each company must be between 475 and 525 points
Each company must have 200 points worth of troop selections (transports do not count towards the 200 point minimum)
Each company may have:
0-1 Headquarters
0-1 Elite
0-3 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack
0-1 Heavy Support

Again: This does not allow your army 3 HQ choices and 9 Troop choices. It merely is maximums for each individual company. Your 1500 point list must still be legal.

Further stipulations:
--Only vehicles that can transport 10 or more models and have a maximum armor value of 12 are allowed.
--Each company may have 0-1 Monstrous Creature (Daemon Prince, Greater Daemons, TMCs, Avatar, Wraithlords, CĎtan, etc.)
--No Monstrous Creatures with modified movement (Winged Hive Tyrants, Daemon Princes with Daemonic Speed/Steed/Flight, etc.)
--No model will cost more than 150 points.
--No unit will cost more than 250 points. (250 points does not include their transport)
--No unit of models is allowed to have a majority 2+ save (Terminators, upgraded Chosen.) (Models that deploy as a single model may have a 2+ save.)
--Models that do not normally deploy together may be split among different companies (Assasins, Lictors, etc.) (the company that fields the model will pay for it. So company 1 and company 2 would each pay 80pts for their Lictor, not 160 from 1 company although it takes up the elite slot from each company)
--No section of the Force Organization chart (except troops) shall comprise more than 25% of your total army. (25% of 1500 is 375 points) (Section refers to Headquarters, Elites, Troops, Fast Attack, Heavy Support)
--No two companies may be identical

Once you have your list written and your companies made, then you need to choose each company to equal a number on a dice. One company should correspond to 1-2 on a dice, one to 3-4, and the final one to 5-6. Each player rolls a dice, and plays the first game with the corresponding company. These are played any way you want them to, although a cleanse mission is probably the best choice, as game 4 decides the winner.

After each battle both players should mark down specifically what models are left in his force. You should include weapons, what units they came from, how many there are, and point values.
Examples:

Bad:
13 Marines

Good:
Tactical squad:
4 Marines
1 Marine with Plasma Gun
Vet. Sergeant with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol
Devastator squad:
3 Marines with Heavy Bolters
2 Marines with Bolters
Sergeant with Bolter

At the end of the three battles, add up the point values of the remaining forces from each battle. Once you have a total, compare it with your opponent to determine the point difference. During the fourth battle, the player with more points remaining will use the exact troops he has remaining. The player with fewer points will use his the exact troops he has remaining in addition to half of the point difference between the two forces.

Example:

After three battles, 720 points worth of the Marine playerís forces have survived, but only 480 points of the Eldar playerís have survived. The Marine player will use 720 points in the fourth battle, but the Eldar player will use 600. (720-480 = 240; 240/2 = 120; 480+120=600)In theory, it should be balanced because the player purchasing new units will know exactly what he needs to buy to win.

These additional points may be spent however the player feels, and do not necessarily need to be spent on current squads. They may be used to purchase entirely new squads.

The fourth battle will be played until one side has no models left, or until one side concedes (May happen if one side is haplessly outnumbered in points, say 1000 vs. 500. In cases as such, you may choose to allow the player more points, say 75% of the difference.

So thatís my idea guysÖ Sorry there are so many stipulations for lists, but Iím trying my best to make sure that there are actually fair fights. If you read this and scream that you canít have you favorite unit, guess what? Thereís a reason for that. Theyíre too good in 500 point battles.

Iím looking for any critiques of rules to change, or units that I forgot to outlaw.

I'd also love to see some battle reports of anyone who plays this. Hopefully I'll get one this weekend to post, and I'm going to try to post the list I'm going to use soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: New Battle Idea

this sounds very interesting, i need to play this sometime with my friends...

anyways, i will get a batrep for everything when i get a chance to play it, sounds like a lot of fun ;D

Old 06 Jul 2006, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I submitted the idea to Black Gobbo and White Dwarf, seeing as everybody I talked to had nothing but good things to say about it.

Please post if you don't understand something so I can clarify it. I would love to see this spread around a fair bit so we can have a new way to play.
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 20:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Workshop

Bo,

I think your idea is fantastic and definitely looks like a fun way to play the game. Well done. I too am a fan of smaller battles - particularly in Warhammer - and have written a lot of rules and guidelines for gaming in the 500-point range. As I'm just starting a Necron army, I'll be looking for ways to play some smaller games in the near future. Unfortunately, and as your post expects, we cannot accept scenarios or game rules/guidelines from outside sources. I'm afraid this edict comes down from on high, and there's no way to get around it so that we can publish your idea.

Thanks for your proposal though. If you have any more hobby or painting oriented articles or ideas in mind, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

Yours,

Eric

Eric Sarlin
Editor, U.S. White Dwarf
Games Workshop America
erics@games-workshop.com
> ----------
> From: Steve Fuller
> Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2006 3:23 PM
> To: Eric Sarlin; John Shaffer
> Subject: FW: New Battle Configuration
>
> manufututriciuti@gmail.com
>
> "Dirty Steve" Fuller
> Games Workshop
> U.S. White Dwarf Photojournalist
>
> There's a kind of freedom in being completely screwed... because you know things can't get any worse.
>
> ----------
> From: Bo Tucker
> Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2006 2:46 PM
> To: US White Dwarf
> Subject: New Battle Configuration

<my email is posted up there, so no need to repost>
...I hate GW sometimes.
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 20:28   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the only reason there rejecting it is becuase there jealouse that a great person came up with the idea and those fools didnt
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Workshop
Unfortunately, and as your post expects, we cannot accept scenarios or game rules/guidelines from outside sources.
Chapter Approved. Best thing in the White Dwarf for the entirity of 3rd edition. And no longer used to show the rules that other players have made. No wonder Andy C left.

What the Y'xauk has happened to GW? It's gone from a company to make games, to a company to make money.

Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm writing an email back to them... Eventually. i think it would just be me cursing until their ears bleed if I emailed them right now. Any ideas for the email are welcome.

As for this Eric Sarlin dude... He needs to do. Andy Chambers was so much cooler than him. Take that back, everybody is better than this guy. "This edict comes from on high" High on what? noob.

I think I should turn into the next Bill Roper and make my own company to mess GW up.
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

how about u try contacting another GW guy , he might like ur idea
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eric Sarlin is the editor for White Dwarf. Unless I can find the name of the Editor-in-Chief (assuming there is one and I didn't just get screwed by the head guy) I'm pretty much stuck. It got sent to another guy as well.

Not to mention the fact that the guy I was told to contact fowarded it straight to two other guys without a word... Gotta love GW. <curses unmercifully for another 5 minutes>
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 21:21   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

maybe if i tried talkin to white dwarf in uk , they might do something