Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the way you take saves??????
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jul 2006, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default the way you take saves??????

i have a qusetion about they way you take saves. I have read in the rule book (i don't think its out of date its the "IV" one) anyway it gave an example that if someone had an armour save of 3+ invulnerable save of 4+ and was in cover that gave a save of 3+ and said to use the best save to make his save witch would be 3+ but what about the invulnerable and the armour or cover save (because it said to use one of the 3+ save) in my mind it would go like this my hero gets hit with an Ap5 weapon first i use the cover save then if that didn't stop it then then then the invulnerable save (because if it was real the shot would hit the cover then the invulnerable save (lets say its a shield that give him the invulnerable save) then if that didn't stop the shot then i would use the armour save (because that the last thing its would hit before it got down to my hero skin. would this take to long in a game to do or something else ????
Old 06 Jul 2006, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: the way you take saves??????

i think it would just take way to long and be unfair to any army that is good in CC a chaos lord would be unstopable heading in two you line if he get 3 trys to save

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 06 Jul 2006, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

Also it is more fluffy the way it is. If you were actually fighting in the battle and you saw a unit of marines aiming at you, you would have about half a second to decide if you want to dive into cover, brace for impact, or use your shield/force field/thing that gives you an invulnerable save. After you choose, whatever you chose to keep you alive either worked or didn't work. If it did you're alive, if it didn't you're dead.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Old 06 Jul 2006, 17:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

Really it's for balance reasons in my mind. Sure, a hero may have cover, then his shield, then his body army to stop everything, but really... You want to let someone take a 4+ cover save, a 5+ invulnerable, and then a 2+ armor save? That's going to stop an insane percentage of shots and we can't have that.

In real life there are far fewer casualties thanthere are in a game of 40k, because in real life you get your benefits from cover and from your armor so you die far less often. But people playing a game like to see people die >
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 06 Jul 2006, 17:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

As Alc. said, it's for balance. A Terminator in this case, say he's shot by a pulse rifle in 4+ cover...
1/2 shots hit...
2/3 shots wound...
1/2 get through the cover...
2/3 get through his invulnerable save...
1/6 gets through his armor...
All told, a pulse rifle will kill a terminator about 1.8% of the time, so you need around 50 shots to take one down. Now figure in a 5-man squad...

Nothing would happen, really. The current save system allows the game to actually move.
Old 06 Jul 2006, 23:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Plus, think about it. If your armor failed, it means there was a whole punched in your armor somewhere and metal shards could be in your body. If your force field shortens out you'll probably get an electrical shock. And if your behind a wall and it colapses, you could get trapped or hit with falling rocks. Either way, your wounded .

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 07 Jul 2006, 00:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Your point does stand up in fantasy warhammer though, since you may take ward saves (their invulnerable saves) after taking regular armour saves (not sure about cover saves though, I aint that attune to the rules regarding cover in fantasy)

Old 07 Jul 2006, 06:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When me and a friend of mine starting playing mock battles to understand the game mechanics, he asked the same thing and argued it. I though I had read some where that you only ever got one save just like you only ever got one re-roll. I checked it and I was right. In the BGB it says that you only ever get one save and it is your best save.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 07 Jul 2006, 06:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Hehe.... I first played 40k like this. Terminators in cover were invincable. No onder we never finished a game back then....
Old 07 Jul 2006, 12:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide
i have a qusetion about they way you take saves. I have read in the rule book (i don't think its out of date its the "IV" one) anyway it gave an example that if someone had an armour save of 3+ invulnerable save of 4+ and was in cover that gave a save of 3+ and said to use the best save to make his save witch would be 3+ but what about the invulnerable and the armour or cover save (because it said to use one of the 3+ save) in my mind it would go like this my hero gets hit with an Ap5 weapon first i use the cover save then if that didn't stop it then then then the invulnerable save (because if it was real the shot would hit the cover then the invulnerable save (lets say its a shield that give him the invulnerable save) then if that didn't stop the shot then i would use the armour save (because that the last thing its would hit before it got down to my hero skin. would this take to long in a game to do or something else ????
when GW oroginally designed third edition, they planned on cover working this way. A unit would get a cover save, then its armour save. the problem was, with this system, marines were, literally, invincible. there was no way to stop them.

In any case, having a system like this would polarise armies to an extent unheard of even in 3rd ed. In 3rd ed you were either pure shooty, pure fighty or a mix of the two. with this, you'd see one shooty army with LOTS of troops sitting in cover pounding out a hail of fire, and all but im mune to anything coming at them.
you'd have one other army, the assaulty one that charges across the board to tear the shooty army to bits. And if shooty meets shooty, you roll lots of dice, and nothing will die. assaulty meets assaulty, and its the opposite, its a pure bloodbath.

40k works the way it does. its streamlined and its (fairly) balanced. Its a game. It should be viewed as a game, and not a real-life-war-simulator. you want that, then join the army, or the french foreign legion!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread