Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The little black book?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2006, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The little black book?

No not a book you use for those flings, let me try to explain..

My Dad use to love the game called Stratego, he absolutely loved it and of course he and I played it alot. He tole me how much eh loved the game and how he once had this little book filled with set-ups, ideas, and pretty much any little thing about the game he felt like adding.

Now, I was wondering, since I do love Warhammer 40k quite a bit, is this possible with 40k? I know it's going to be nearly impossible to make a little book for set-ups since the battle field can be completely diffrent each time.

But what do you guys think? And how do you propose you would go about this?
"Curses! Just when you've managed to bring the whole world under your evil influence some pathetic little Inquisitor goes whining off to the Adeptus Terra about rouge psykers and daemonic possession. I mean, do I look possessed? Well, do I? DO I???" -Personal log of Lord Varlak, 995.m41
Old 29 Jun 2006, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: The little black book?

Ahh Stratego... I used to play that too :P

Unfortunately, if you were to compare the strategy and setup plans in Stratego to 40k, your little black book would be full of notes on aggressive and counter-deployment, army list creation based on the order of deployment both in standard setups and in escalation and generally notes on potential tempos that you can build from the translation of the army list to deployment to your opponent and how it flows.

They're really apples & oranges in terms of a comparison though. You can see plain as day what's going on in 40k. There's strategy in deployment, but it's not about anticipation and prediction. It's about action and response. Stratego and 40k are just too different in that way.

Cheers!

Old 29 Jun 2006, 09:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Still, the little black book does have it's use, though not in the stratego sense;

Use it to keep a battle-diary.
Your armylist, opponents list, and how the battle went - your mistakes and whatnots to go back and re-read before your next encounter with that kind of army.

After a while, you will notice that large parts of the book is no longer useful, because it cover things you know by heart by now. This is good, and the entire point in keeping it in the first place.
Writing things down forces you to think coherently (unusual these days ) about What to write, and give you another way of learning the game.

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Old 29 Jun 2006, 13:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I did some thing simmular, but I played so few people that I did not need a "lil black book". One guy I faced loved lictors deployed right on my front lines (I played tau). I learned to deploy back and if I got the chance scan with everything. I usualy found them. Then lit them up. I also had my tactics for speed freek orks and.... (whats the eldar list with the buttload of wrathlords..ah... eldar dreadnaughts thingies) and wave surpents. The tactic was 9 broadsides with target locks and MT, and troops with marker lights, a devil fish w/ 4 seeker missles (old rules), and fusionblasters on every suit I could afford.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

I actually keep one, although it's actually just a reference sheet to every army, a copy of all of my usual opponent's lists, and mathhammer for pretty much every weapon I use against every model that I see on a regular basis. Plus all my lists and what-not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:30   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniyoh
No not a book you use for those flings, let me try to explain..

My Dad use to love the game called Stratego, he absolutely loved it and of course he and I played it alot. He tole me how much eh loved the game and how he once had this little book filled with set-ups, ideas, and pretty much any little thing about the game he felt like adding.

Now, I was wondering, since I do love Warhammer 40k quite a bit, is this possible with 40k? I know it's going to be nearly impossible to make a little book for set-ups since the battle field can be completely diffrent each time.

But what do you guys think? And how do you propose you would go about this?
this is a rather nice idea when you have a big selection of players at your hobby center and i used to have more (like 5-6 more, aka 14) so i kept one. i only used this for all of the opponents i used to have problems with, which was a very small percentage. all in all it got rather filled up with Batreps and things i screwed up on, i havent lost against one of them for a year still going now ;D

Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Seems like a good idea.... *goes to art centre to pick up little black lined paper notebook*
Old 30 Jun 2006, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not to mention the preparation phase, when you walk up to the table, drop BBB, model case and codex, then fish the little black 'un out of your pocket with a little smile, place it just so on the table and announce that you're ready to play...

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Closed Thread