Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Non-Independant Characters with Combat/Storm Shields
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Non-Independant Characters with Combat/Storm Shields

When an IC gets stuck into close combat, attacks have to be allocated against them seperately so there's no problem with them using combat shields. But what about the rank-and-file soldiers? For example, if an Assault Terminator squad has, say, four power weapon wounds allocated against them, how do you determine whether or not your Storm Shield wielding Termies can bear the brunt? Do you just declare you're using the Storm shields for X number of wounds and take off X Storm Shield Termies for every such failed save?

What about the Company champions in Command Squads? Same deal? Sacrifice a Marine to a power weapon or take a risk with the Company Champion?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Non-Independant Characters with Combat/Storm Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Do you just declare you're using the Storm shields for X number of wounds and take off X Storm Shield Termies for every such failed save?
I assume you mean that you take off 1 termie for each failed save, not X of them. In which case, yes, I think that's right. Since all the termies have the same basic armour save, you can allocate the wounds among them as you like. The only caveats are that if there are Y storm-shielded termies, you can only allocate Y of the wounds to them - unless there are more wounds than there are termies in the unit, in which case you can wrap around and start allocating wounds to them again.

Did that make sense?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanim
I assume you mean that you take off 1 termie for each failed save, not X of them.
Sorry, faulty logic.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanim
In which case, yes, I think that's right. Since all the termies have the same basic armour save, you can allocate the wounds among them as you like. The only caveats are that if there are Y storm-shielded termies, you can only allocate Y of the wounds to them - unless there are more wounds than there are termies in the unit, in which case you can wrap around and start allocating wounds to them again.

Did that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

The way I've always done it is "this dude is in base to base with this dude. Therefore he can't hit that dude over there".

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guv
The way I've always done it is "this dude is in base to base with this dude. Therefore he can't hit that dude over there".
Close combat is a 'swirling melee' with opposing soldiers shooting at point blank range and all sorts, so the model placement on the table don't accurately reflect their actual physical presence in relation to the enemy. That's why models up to two inches away from those actually in base to base contact are considered 'engaged' and can inflict/receive harm. So I think we need to be a little lenient here concerning who can hit who. I was just querying how you correctly assign wounds. The answer was obvious really and I shouldn't have needed to ask. But thanks.
Closed Thread