Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Order of deployment
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2006, 13:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Order of deployment

When deploying models, there are sometimes occasions when you have nothing to deploy from a particular force organisation section. That being the case, when it's your turn to deploy a unit do you just move on to the next force organisation choice in order? Or do you wait until all units of the current section have been deployed by both players before putting anything else down on the table?

For example my opponent has a Leman Russ, a Demolisher and a Basilisk to deploy; all Heavy Support choices. I have no Heavy Support, so do I wait until we move onto troops before I start placing my units?

The order of deployment is supposed to represent a lighter, faster army's ability to react quickly to the tactical situation, while an army more heavily dependant on big and slow moving units is unable to adjust such assets on a whim. It doesn't seem fair to me that without heavy support choices in my army, my troops have to be put on the table at the same time as the big guns, denying them the opportunity to deploy in such a fashion as to outmanoeuvre or otherwise keep well away from the heavy units. So am I deploying wrong or is this this actually how it's supposed to be done?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Order of deployment

while it may seem wrong fluff wise, that's the way that i've always assumed you do it.

and since when did fluff go along with the rules? :

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 14:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya Tom,

Unfortunately it's not explicitly worded well in the Rule Book, so it's subject to interpretation. However, I can tell you that many people play it both ways. Some people deploy it, unit by unit, starting with the heavies and going from there--as that's what it states. Some other people only deploy heavies for everyone, and people wait if they have nothing, and then move on, using the force organizational chart in steps--the rules do not say to do this at all. But people want to do it sometimes.

However, in general, the rules only say one thing. They say that you deploy your force, unit by unit, starting with the heavies and going from there. It doesn't state that you and your opponent deploy heavies and if you have no heavies you wait. That's not implied anywhere either.

As for the reasoning, think of it in terms of game balance. Someone who builds off nothing but heavy support will have all their units exposed right away. Heavy is heavy--you'd see it coming. If you don't have that, and you suffer because of it--then it shows the balance that you should be using a little bit of all of your force organizational chart, balance wise, because if you're not--you're not going to have a balanced deployment.

But hey; interpret and play it the way you like it best with your friends/opponents--that's the key

Cheers!
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Alright, thanks. I'm glad it's not just me.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread