Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unpainted/Badly painted armies....
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:32   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Unpainted/Badly painted armies....

Hello

Yes this has driven me so insane that I'm posting on here!!! :P
No seriously, i have played 40k for about 3-4 years and of all of the battles i have played my opponents have used unpainted armies or painting which looks like it was a rush-rush slapped on job. I have always painted my models to a high standard and always brought a fully painted force but what lets the battle down is that the opponent i face puts no or little effort into their forces.

Everyone i know who plays 40k has either an un-painted or sloppy painted army so i potentially can't get an opponent whose models look good! This is not an attack people who don't paint their models but what i am saying is that after 3-4 years of 40k and not seeing or battling against a tabletop worthy army let alone one which has had an ounce of effort injected into it is beginning to piss me off! I think that if both opponents put effort in painting their models it can make a battle more fun. And unfortunately for me this will never happen unless if i go to another GW store.

Are you in the same position? My opponents love my models and i try to encourage them to get out their brushes and start putting in effort but it doesn't work! It is beginning to make me a bit annoyed that i feel like the only one out of my local GW store who gives a damn about how their models look.

This topic is open to all comments. (as long as they are appropriate!)

I apologize if i have offended/attacked people who don't paint their armies. :huh:

Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Unpainted/Badly painted armies....

my opponents models are rarely painted well, usually painted badly or just under coated. i can't really argue myself though, since my models look like they've been painted by a penguin on speed. but this isn't because i dont care, but because i have no painting skills what so ever. but i make sure that all my models are painted, if not always very well.

Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I just have a hell of a time getting myself motivated to paint stuff.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

same here. i find myself sitting their making 'battle noises', explosion sounds, gun shots and battle cries instead of painting.

Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I enjoy painting 'shiny' models, but find it hard to force myself to paint the backbone troops. I tend to rush 'em a bit, but they've come out ok.
I should get some pics up soon...
Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of All!!!
Are you in the same position? My opponents love my models and i try to encourage them to get out their brushes and start putting in effort but it doesn't work! It is beginning to make me a bit annoyed that i feel like the only one out of my local GW store who gives a damn about how their models look.
Right there with you, bud. It's just about self-discipline; I won't put anything on the table unless it's painted and properly based. Hell, I won't even use my first tactical squad anymore because they're poorly painted (they were my first models).

I'm the proud owner of a glorious Imperial Fists army which, being bright yellow, tends to impress people when I start unpacking. It's not that they're exceptionally good...I think it's just the fact that they're painted at all that impresses people! When my entire army is standing there on one side of the table in all their yellow splendour facing a drab, rag-tag army of dull silver and grey it just ruins the game for me before it even starts! People use excuse's like "I can't paint to save my life" as if that makes it ok! I don't get it, do people think they'll wake up one day inexplicably gifted with the ability to paint miniatures to a decent standard?

It takes practice...but people are too lazy to do that and won't unless you give them a good motivator. My brother used to be rubbish at painting (really, it was crime on a miniature scale) and didn't bother at all with most of his models, but I told him I wouldn't field anything that wasn't painted and neither I would play against anything that was unpainted. Those same rules apply today and now he owns an Eldar army painted to a decent standard. What's more, he's risen to such a level of competency in the last seven or eight months that just recently (in the space of only two or three weeks) he's assembled a well painted 2000 point Imperial Guard army and a handful of really beautiful Grey Knights! He didn't tell me about them until they suddenly appeared amongst my Rhinos (we like spring surprises like that on one another from time to time). The look of utter shock on my face...

Me, I hate painting...I really do. I do find myself enjoying the detail work on a nearly-finished character but that's about it. I paint my models both because I like the end result and, more importantly, because I feel I have an obligation to the other player. I don't ever want to impact another player's enjoyment of the hobby by way of my own laziness and unlike 'Lord of All', I am attacking people who don't paint their armies! There's no excuse; if you've got time to play the games, you've got time to paint your models! Stop being so damned idle and stop spoiling it for the rest of us! >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

I always have my armies fully painted and based.

I find that it becomes much easier if you paint one squad at a time. I make myself have everything that I currently own fully painted and based before I buy any more stuff, after which I refuse to buy anything more than a single box. After painting those, I let myself buy another thing, etc.

Much easier, and it makes sure you always have everything painted! ;D

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 02:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I find that I have too little models to paint. ALL of my models, from my Tau to my one Terminator, are all painted. The only ones not getting any love are the MaCragge survivors, but only because I never play those armies.

What I really want are tanks to build, scar, and paint up with battle damage. Sometime I should post my 'weathered' hammerhead.

On the other side, there is an annoying genestealer army that looks like it had all it's paint scratched off by human hands. Of course, said owner is colorblind, but it's still terribly, terribly annoying to be beaten by not just badly painted nids, but badly painted nids that were once white and tenticle pink.

Next time around, it's blast template time.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 05:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I only remain in the hobby because I enjoy painting these miniatures so much...and while there's other games that are cheaper and better supported I could do it for, I love the world and gaming in it as well.

At the end of the day, I love painting. I'm not of Greater Daemon or 'Eavy Metal standard...and I don't try to be. I just sit there for hours and hours and hours and paint...because it's extremely relaxing and calm and has no dangers to it. I love it and it's what kept me reasonably sane during very tense and extremely dangerous parts of my life...particularly when I was younger. When all else went bad, I'd sit there and paint...and more recently my painting got very good because of this effort and attention...not in terms of skill, but you can see and feel the heart that went into every single model and that each is a 'person' on the board...not some mindless drone.

This, of course, is not possible for other people. They have things to do besides painting (I was fortunate enough to paint during the long dull hours of nightwatch for a fair while), lack the motivation or passion (I don't mean that as a negative thing, as I hardly think my passion was at all a pleasant reason, but simply that there's other things they enjoy more) or just see it as a means to the end of gaming. All of these are fine examples and ones I accept without judgement or criticism, but simply saying "I don't do it because I suck" doesn't work. I sucked...I sucked big time. I still don't think I'm amazing, I just put effort in. As long as you do that, your models will look better to everyone else...and more importantly you will know they rock, since they mean something to you.

All in all, though, I do find it highly irritating to play against armies of people that are half-painted boring powergame forces...and hence I simply don't play them rather than enduring them and whinging. Simple. Everyone goes home happy and alive...for now

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 24 Jun 2006, 05:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't have that much of a problem with unpainted models or poorly painted ones, since some people have good reasons to why they are in that state. Some gamers might not have developed their painting skills just yet, may have just recently aquired them and are eager to test them out, or life has gotten in the way. I'm a victim of the last one, since I've barely touched my Tyranids ever since I got them (months ago...) with school, chores, girlfriend, and other slightly more important activities. And when I do find the time, it's really hard to get motivated as I'd rather be doing something else.

It's not that I enjoy playing with my unpainted 'Nids, I'd love to play my friends with a fully painted swarm, it's just that I can't find the time.

P.S. Dang, Bash beat me to it. And now that I've read his post I'd have to agree that using the "I suck" excuse is no reason, it just matters about effort.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Closed Thread