Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do command squads rate as scoring units?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default How do command squads rate as scoring units?

I understand that when an IC joins a unit (or has a command squad/retinue) they are counted as one unit, whereas before they were two. If at the end of the game an IC is part of a another unit, are they only classed as a single scoring unit for the purposes of determining the victor or are they counted independantly? If they are counted as one unit, would an unharmed IC be disqualified as a scoring unit if the cumulative wounds of the squad he was leading (and that of the IC himself) were less than half the unit's starting strength?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: How do command squads rate as scoring units?

i think you would just treat the IC as a separate unit from the squad he joined. so work out the value and wounds inflicted ont he squad so check VP. then do the same for the IC. if not you could use IC to try and boost the amount of wounds in a squad to try and bring them over the 50% mark and vice versa.

Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

So you think players may choose to declare such squads as either one or two units depending on which would be most advantageous? Ok, thanks.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

no, i think they would have to be declared as two serparate units everytime. if not people would join squads to try and pull the wound count up and count them as scoring.

Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, ok. That seems more reasonable. Sorry, I misunderstood you there.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 05:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

All squads are counted as being over half-strength by the number of models they themselves have in the unit, irrespective of Independant Characters getting involved, one way or the other. The IC never counts as anything at all in this regard (even if he has a Retinue, thus making him a member of the squad and not an IC for these purposes), so the squads are able to secure objectives, take table quarters, rally and so forth only if they have at least half of their starting number.

The IC can never do this...and awards half victory points if he is wounded at all.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 24 Jun 2006, 10:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, I see, I misread the rules. Thanks.
Closed Thread