Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The following was sent to GW - Regarding White Dwarf
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The following was sent to GW - Regarding White Dwarf

I sent the following missive to White Dwarf regarding the changes to their magazine format. If you feel as I do, please tell them so.

Hello.

My name is Nate, and I’ve been a White Dwarf subscriber for a number of years now (since issue #272 in the U.S.).

I have always loved getting my White Dwarf in the mail. There has always been a special kind of excitement when I see it waiting for me on my porch. I’ve tried to figure out just why I like this magazine so much, and I believe I have hit upon the answer:

I’ve looked through quite a few of my wife’s magazines over the years. You crack ‘em open, crap falls out into your lap, and commercials assault your senses. Page numbers are not to be found anywhere, the better to ensnare you with the copious quantities of marketing. Even were I so inclined to read her mags, these factors would ensure that I did not.

White Dwarf always felt so different. I know that there were “commercials” in it, but they never seemed like commercials. They were presented in the same fashion as the articles, and blended so nicely with them visually, that I never felt I was being marketed at all. Hell, some of them were just as informative as the articles themselves.

Long and the short of it, I would get my WD, and I’d read it cover to cover (literally…every single word) in a day. Then I’d re-read it slowly while waiting for the next one.

This all changed for me when you made your format changes. I now see articles that look like commercials (or is it the other way around?). I see huge full page advertisements throughout the magazine, and these advertisements have no content…just big flashy pictures or boxes and cover art. I see fewer articles, and the ones I do see are shorter and far less informative.

The most recent issue devoted four pages to the assembly of Stealth Suits. Two of the pages seemed to be basic assembly instructions (something so self-explanatory that it is not even included with the models themselves), and a third page was, for all intents and purposes, a reprint of a codex that I already own. Only one of the pages in the article was of interest; an exceptional paint job. The same goes for the “article” on Eldar support weapons. Both articles were pure filler, a complete waste of pages.

I saw “articles” on paint brushes (as used by the Heavy Metal team! Available at your local retailer!). I saw “articles” on razor wire (even included a price tag on this one). I even saw an “article” on Beasts of Chaos so devoid of actual information that I was impressed by the author’s ability to stretch it out for six (or was it seven, hard to tell) pages. The editorial was a commercial. The first 15 pages of the magazine were commercials. Matter of fact, I counted 25 full page advertisements in the magazine, and another 20 or so that were advertisements dressed up as “articles”.

White Dwarf is turning into just another magazine. What a horrible shame.

Do you want to know what White Dwarf does for me, or dare I say for us? White Dwarf shows up once a month and turns me back into that 14-year old kid, full of wonder and anticipation. It reminds me, once a month, that there is something else in my life other than marriage, work, fatherhood, bills and all the rest. Most importantly for you my friends, it puts that fire in my gut, makes me get out my keys and go for a quick pick-up game. It entices me with new and wonderful things to buy, to paint and to play with.

The last issue of White Dwarf did none of these things. I leafed through it, read a couple of the articles and then put it away.

Please reconsider this path you are taking.

Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The following was sent to GW - Regarding White Dwarf

Very well written mate.
Though (obviously) I don't get the US WD, similar things are happening over here.
WD does the whole 14 year old kid thing to most of us, I think :P

May just have to email/write in myself...
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Amen brother, amen... That's the reason I STOPPED subscribing
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks guys. Definately write them and tell 'em so, please.

GW is suffering "quality creep" lately. I know their market numbers are down, but quality reduction is the absolute worst response to falling profits (just ask Motorola, Sun Microsystems, RCA, Panasonic, etc. etc.).
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Amen brother, amen... That's the reason I STOPPED subscribing
I'll always be a subscriber. Always.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've definitley noticed all the same things you've just pointed out. A prime example being the "Tau Desingers Notes"

Usually the Codex/Army Book desiner notes are really cool informative articles telling you about what's changed and why. The tau desingers notes were a 4 page spread of pictures...

I'm holding out hope that White Dwarf Canada will be good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
It will be like White Dwarf Oz. 90% UK/US Whitedwarf filler with some local articles (Oz does some nice reviews of local players armies, but you can find the exact same material on the net).
Old 21 Jun 2006, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRaptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
It will be like White Dwarf Oz. 90% UK/US Whitedwarf filler with some local articles (Oz does some nice reviews of local players armies, but you can find the exact same material on the net).
And more of it for free. In the last couple of years, I don't think I've read more than 3-4 articles that even remotely compare to a Mal tactica or a Wargamer rant...and that's being pretty generous. I expect more for something I paid money for beyond the ablative "if you don't like it, don't buy it" attitude GW, at best, puts forth. Filler ads and blurbs and instructions from other magazines is just laziness, pure and simple.

And as Raptor says, it's ironic that the only decent content has been reader-submitted discussions of their own armies...even though these, naturally, are filled with more flashy pictures than anything else.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 21 Jun 2006, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i dont mind advertisement(since it pays for some of the costs) but not at the cost of quality. i dont mind having a few pages of commercials fall unto my lap when i open it, since i can throw them away. but you are right, the advertisement has replaced the articles. and aslong as we keep getting commercial artilces i doubt i will ever buy another white dwarf. the only thing worth looking at in WD are the chapter aproved stuff, but you can borrow it off a friend and memorize it anyways.

Old 24 Jun 2006, 03:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not bothered by the advertisements. The tacticas I skim through, as they tend to be boring and not that informative. What I do enjoy are looking at the armies, and reading the bat-reps. (The good ones, anyway.)

What really bothers me is the new lay out. It used to be Fantasy/40k/LotR every issue, but now the whole thing's a big complicated mass that you have to sift through to find the articles you care about. It seriously goes from some ogre thing, to the fall of medusa, then some 'giant' thing, then something about the white council... yech!

In addition, I miss "a word in your ear" and the other thing they had sort of like it at the beggining of the mag, oh and also "Dirty Steve". Those are all now irregular, if they're there anymore. It really bumbs me out, because all of those were interesting to read.

Oh well... if we can't get good content through GW, we sure as heck can get it on TO!
Closed Thread