Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cover saves with Blast weapons?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jun 2006, 22:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Cover saves with Blast weapons?

My friends and I were wondering if blast and ordnance blast allow you to have a cover save with standard 40K rules.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 23:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Cover saves with Blast weapons?

They do as normal with regards to what direction the enemy fire is coming from. If it passes over the cover to hit your models, they make a save as normal.

The only exception to this is when the blast templates( or ordinance) are fired as a barrage weapon. In this instance, cover saves are made with regards to the center of the template. If it lands within your unit, odds are it is ignoring the cover they are in.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 14 Jun 2006, 23:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan
My friends and I were wondering if blast and ordnance blast allow you to have a cover save with standard 40K rules.
Yes, you are allowed cover saves.

The only thing that prevents cover saves are:

1 - Weapons which specifically state that they ignore cover saves.
2 - Having no cover from which to claim cover saves from (subject to direction of the attack, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiden
They do as normal with regards to what direction the enemy fire is coming from. If it passes over the cover to hit your models, they make a save as normal.

The only exception to this is when the blast templates( or ordinance) are fired as a barrage weapon. In this instance, cover saves are made with regards to the center of the template. If it lands within your unit, odds are it is ignoring the cover they are in.
More specifically, the center hole is used to determine which direction the shot counts as coming from in regards to cover saves. If the center hole is behind said unit, with no cover between them--then there would be no cover saves. But if the center hole is in front of them, and there is cover between them and the hole, there are cover saves.

Cheers!

Old 15 Jun 2006, 05:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

An old rule from 3rd Ed. had Ordinance Barrages ignore cover...

Not that it means anything.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ive often wondered about cover saves and woods/forests if the center of the hole is in the forest do u get saves as the is still somtimes trees between the hole and some models?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 15:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Woods and forests are considered area cover, so as long as you are in them, you'll get a cover save no matter which way the shots are coming from. The shooter can be in there with you, or drop a basilisk shell directly onto your forehead, and you'll still get a save from it.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok guys i play a tau force and the last two games i've had my 230pt hammerhead scragged on turn 1 by a arty strike once by defiler and once by leman russ.

this is what I equiped my Hammerhead tank with ( sensor spines , disruption pod , decoy launchers , target lock , multi-tracker , blacksun filter , flechette discharger , 2 seeker missiles , railgun , smart missile system .

can any of these systems help me during first turn ?
Old 19 Jun 2006, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper18
ok guys i play a tau force and the last two games i've had my 230pt hammerhead scragged on turn 1 by a arty strike once by defiler and once by leman russ.

this is what I equiped my Hammerhead tank with ( sensor spines , disruption pod , decoy launchers , target lock , multi-tracker , blacksun filter , flechette discharger , 2 seeker missiles , railgun , smart missile system .

can any of these systems help me during first turn ?
Zapper,

Quite a few things to clue you in on:

1 - Buying every single possible upgrade doesn't make your tank better. Read the descriptions of the gear. Look at the rules of shooting, and especially ordnance. How are more than half those upgrades going to do anything? To answer your question: yes some of them help you, but not every single upgrade in the book. Disruption Pods and Decoy Launchers are the only two that actually can help you (without other rules taking precedence) in that list of things you're buying.

2 - Ordnance should not be destroying your skimmer on first turn easily at all. It takes a lot of effort and luck for that to happen. Make sure you're following the sequences correctly and using the rules of ordnance correctly. (A) He has to roll scatter dice. If that template's center hole is not over the hull of your skimmer, then the strength of the attack is halved. This is going to be common that he doesn't roll a direct hit. It's going to be common that he scatters too far to keep that center hole over the hull of your tank. And if he shot your Skimmer via indirect fire (defiler, basilisk), it would be even more common to miss your skimmer or not have the appropriate strength to even cause damage.

3 - So long as you are deploying your vehicle in cover, you can count it to be obscured from shooting attacks (hide it behind something that is category size 3 and inhibits line of sight in some way). The glance chart will make it very very difficult for an ordnance attack to destroy your skimmer.

4 - Even if he does hit you, the attack is Str8. Odds are that he will only glance you (5+ to glance). Ordnance takes 2D6 on penetration, but may only choose the highest dice (not both!). That's about a 55% chance to glance you.

--- See how this should be very rare that his ordnance attack not only hits but also glances and even then rolls a destroy result on the chart ? It's extremely low.

So make sure and read your rules.
Make sure and read your codex and descriptions of all that gear you're buying.
More points does not equal better tank.

Cheers!