Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cities of Death: Boxed Set and Battlemat Review [Picture Heavy!]
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2006, 09:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Cities of Death: Boxed Set and Battlemat Review [Picture Heavy!]

As posted in the Cities of Death board on our Fall of Medusa V Forums.

Today sees the start of Cities of Death releases, here in Australia. Knowing of the limited release amounts here down under, I managed to secure a Boxed Set and the very rare Battlemat (only two per store!).

So, onwards to the photos! The ones shown are just thumbnails (well, big ones at that) - click on them to go to the large pic (1024x768 - though I have the photos themselves in like.. 2272x1704 =P).

[size=12pt]Cities of Death Expansion Boxed Set[/size]
This is one big box :S It's surprisingly heavy (>2kg infact, according to my scales here) - and packed full of sprues. For those who don't know, the boxed set contains the Cities of Death Expansion book, one Large Basilica Administratum, one Regular Sanctum Imperialis, and two sets of 40k battlefield accessories (one of each set - the barricades and barrels set, and the ammo crates set).

Cracking open the box...

Yep, definitely packed full of sprues (12 in total infact):

Contents of the box

Top Left: Two sprues of Drums and Barricades - one of the 40k Battlefield Accessories set.
Middle Left: Two sprues of Ammo Crates - the second 40k Battlefield Accessories set.
Bottom Left: The Cities of Death Expansion booklet, and hidden behind it, the instructions booklet for assembling the buildings
Top Right: Three sprues, for the Basilica Administratum. Enough to make one Large Building
Middle Right: Three Floor/Generic/Extras sprues - this contains all the bits needed for floors, balconies, and extra details etc.
Bottom Right: Two sprues, for the Sanctum Imperialis, building one regular sized building.

Large Buildings and Regular Buildings? - Regular buildings are made from two sprues and one floors sprue. Two storeys high (Sanctum Imperialis and Manufactorum), or Three, in the case of the Basilica Administratum. Large Buildings adds another building sprue and floors sprue, allowing you to add an extra storey and a balcony etc. Obviously all this only applies to buildings included in 'bundles' such as this expansion set, and the Imperial Sector (3 Regular Buildings, and 1 Large) - as only regular buildings are sold individually. Game-wise - you can build as big or as small buildings as you like, combining multiple sprues etc.

Overall
One big boxed set, packed with plenty of shiny new stuff, and a whole lot of plastic. All for a relatively cheap price (60% of the total cost of purchasing it all separately, going by prices here in Australia). The buildings are 'heavy' and very detailed, and the book has plenty of images to keep me happy Packed full of gaming and hobby advice, it's an excellent book IMO. Now I haven't played under the old Cityfight rules, but these new ones seem to easily integrate into the existing 4th Edition ruleset. There's a fair bit of fluff at the end too, though I have yet to read through it all.

Now for the other item..

[size=12pt]Cities of Death Battlemat[/size]

Freshly unrolled (and photoshopped a little):

A full size gaming mat, 6'x4', and made from plastic (or at least, plastic coated/as a plastic sheet). It's fairly detailed too, which is a neat touch to it. Now, it was just unrolled for that pic, and I had to rest some CDs on the corners, and it appears that I've left some 20c coins on it that I had tried to use as weights initially.. but, you can see the rest of the mat nonetheless.

A neat detail - as alpha and gamma games are played on a 4'x4' board, the battlemat has the hazard stripe running down the left side (black and yellow) - which denotes where the 4'x4' board would be =D

[hr]

Hope you enjoyed this very brief coverage of these few Cities of Death Products, once I actually get around to reading the book cover to cover and back again.. I'll post my complete impressions on that. In the meantime, the reason I've been held back.. better get back to studying for that Maths Exam tomorrow
Old 07 Jun 2006, 16:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto
Default Re: Cities of Death: Boxed Set and Battlemat Review [Picture Heavy!]

Very cool, i'm looking forward to buying that set. good informative little review, wouldn't mind building instructions though.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 17:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

quick question, do you have to glue the building parts or can you just 'clip' them together? just wondering to see if you could assemble and disassemble buildings at your leisure

Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Lord Seto
Very cool, i'm looking forward to buying that set. good informative little review, wouldn't mind building instructions though.
Oh, it does actually come with a building instructions sheet, with the general construction steps, and extras etc. Forgot to mention that, and had it stacked behind the Cities of Death book :\

Edit: Oh, I did mention it, in the 'Bottom Left' description of the items

I had it shown in another pic I took (right at the back again):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
quick question, do you have to glue the building parts or can you just 'clip' them together? just wondering to see if you could assemble and disassemble buildings at your leisure
They glue together.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is the book hardcover?
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr
Is the book hardcover?
No, it's floppy like a codex

Just to clarify, does the battle mat come with the boxed set or did you have to buy it seperately?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks!
Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Just to clarify, does the battle mat come with the boxed set or did you have to buy it seperately?
Bought separately.

Cities of Death Boxed Set: AUS$110 - contents as listed above
Battlemat: AUS$30 - just on its own
The other items in that last photo, just the latest Australian White Dwarf magazine and the Novel Dawn of War that I've had on order for ages :S
Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Wow I didnt realize the battlemat was so rare, Ive got to hurry up and get one though I imagine my local store will already be out.

Do you know if the battlemat was sent to independant retailers or was it just GW stores?

Old 08 Jun 2006, 01:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Wow I didnt realize the battlemat was so rare, Ive got to hurry up and get one though I imagine my local store will already be out.

Do you know if the battlemat was sent to independant retailers or was it just GW stores?
It's rare here in Australia, I'm not sure about other countries though. As the main supplier of GW items is GW themselves here in Aus, I only know of GW stores getting them. Perhaps the main issue is storage and transport - as a 6'x4' mat, even rolled up, it has to be shipped in a big 4 foot cardboard tube (the tube at the top of that last pic ) - and sold in the same manner too. Not really space efficient or storable for GW stores etc.. that's why the stores here in Aus. only have a few each.