Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sweeping advances...how do they work?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jun 2006, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Sweeping advances...how do they work?

I've read through the close combat rules a few times now and I'm still at a loss! The rules say:

"Units that lose a close combat must take a Morale check to hold their ground. If they fail, they must abandon the fight and fall back."

"When a unit falls back from combat, the victors make a Sweeping Advance..."

"If the falling back unit no longer has any models in base contact with the victor...the victors do not get a chance to Sweeping Advance..."

If a unit has already made it's fall back move then it cannot possibly be in base contact with the victors. Does this mean you roll for Sweeping Advance before the enemy make their fall back move? Is this just a poor choice of words or am I doing it wrong?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 13:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Sweeping advances...how do they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I've read through the close combat rules a few times now and I'm still at a loss! The rules say:

"Units that lose a close combat must take a Morale check to hold their ground. If they fail, they must abandon the fight and fall back."

"When a unit falls back from combat, the victors make a Sweeping Advance..."

"If the falling back unit no longer has any models in base contact with the victor...the victors do not get a chance to Sweeping Advance..."

If a unit has already made it's fall back move then it cannot possibly be in base contact with the victors. Does this mean you roll for Sweeping Advance before the enemy make their fall back move? Is this just a poor choice of words or am I doing it wrong?
I think it means that at the end of the combat (before they fall back) they have no models in base contact they cannot persue.
Meaning that if when the combat starts 3 models get into base to base, and only 2 are killed, they get to persue. If all three are killed (no more models in base to base) then they cannot persue.
You're right, it isn't worded very well.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 14:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Sweeping advances...how do they work?

I see. So any smart player will remove units from the front and fall back. Thanks for clarifying.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread