Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cover Saves for "Gets Hot" (over- please lock)
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Cover Saves for "Gets Hot" (over- please lock)

The other day, I was playing a game against someone who had a guy in 5+ cover, and who had a weapon that overheated. The normal save would be 6+, but the cover downgraded it into a 5+. He wanted to use the cover save instead of the 6+, but I said that would be un-fair because cover won't protect anyone from a powerful weapon exploding in their hand. In the rulebook, we looked up the "gets hot" rule and it didn't say anything about cover saving for it, so we rolled a d6, 4-6 I win, 1-3 he wins.
A 3, as it was. So we rolled for his cover save and... 5, of course. I was annoyed because it was a character using the weapon and the game wasn't going well for me anyway and this injustice seemed wrong.

Anyway... who was right?
Old 30 May 2006, 23:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Cover Saves for "Gets Hot"

I agree with you, as something you are holding can't be affected by your surroundings... and I believe cover saves are only for being shot at

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 30 May 2006, 23:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
The other day, I was playing a game against someone who had a guy in 5+ cover, and who had a weapon that overheated. The normal save would be 6+, but the cover downgraded it into a 5+.
Anyway... who was right?
That's totally cheesy and he's despicable for trying. I think you're right because 40k's rules are made to be as life-like as possible with dice, and no matter what you're hiding behind, an exploding plasma gun will kill you.

EDIT: accually, it's not worth fighting over unless he rolled a 5...but he'd have to say he's using a CS of 5+ before he rolled.
Old 30 May 2006, 23:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Oh thats rediculous. The rule specificly says you may take armor saves as normal. It does NOT say anything about cover saves. Which means no. The absense of something in the rules does not mean you can do it, the rules have to specificly say something is allowed. Because the rule does not say anything about cover saves you cannot use them. Not only does it not make sense its against the rules.

So he deffinetly cheated you.

Old 30 May 2006, 23:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

This is idiocy. If he had an ounce of common sence, then he wou realize hiding behind something helps naught if your own gun explodes in your face.

However, for fluff he cod hadve realized his gun way overheating, dropped it, and took cover.

Also, it was a character, so if it takes a bit of loopholes to save him, so be it.

Morale: Never put plasma on HQs

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 30 May 2006, 23:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak

Amen to that.
Old 31 May 2006, 00:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Indeed, the only exception is when its master crafted. Then its not bad but for the most part leave the fizzing to the grunties.

Old 31 May 2006, 00:22   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

i must say that i must rule in your opponents favor for htis one actually. simply because of this quote from the rulebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulebook
because of this, models in or behind cover get a cover save or a saving throw from their own armor
and therefore there is nothing saying that overheat ignores cover saves but allows you to take an armor save.

Quote:
This is idiocy. If he had an ounce of common sence, then he wou realize hiding behind something helps naught if your own gun explodes in your face.
agreed but what if you are blind firing? (aka shooting behind a corner without looking at the enemy) then when the gun gets hot you can drop it and hide most of your body (which is all that is needed for a cover save).

Old 31 May 2006, 01:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
i must say that i must rule in your opponents favor for htis one actually. simply because of this quote from the rulebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulebook
because of this, models in or behind cover get a cover save or a saving throw from their own armor
and therefore there is nothing saying that overheat ignores cover saves but allows you to take an armor save.

Could you maybe more specific on this quote? that fragment of a sentence could be from any page of the rulebook.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Quote:

Quote:
agreed but what if you are blind firing? (aka shooting behind a corner without looking at the enemy) then when the gun gets hot you can drop it and hide most of your body (which is all that is needed for a cover save).
Well, I have to say tht is your blindfiring, then

1. the shot will most likely not hit (no aiming or accuracy) and the shot shouldn't caunt for anything.

2 If you drop and get away from it far enough, it effectivly removes the gun from play, thus removing the model from usefulness, and the game. So while the fluff is different, the result is the same.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Closed Thread