Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How much does it really cost to make a 2000 point army?
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 17:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How much does it really cost to make a 2000 point army?

So, I keep seeing posts about how expensive it is, and how the prices keep going up and pricing people out, so I'm going to do an experiment.

First, I'll design a 2000 point list. I'm going to do this before checking any prices, but I'm going to make what I believe are price-effective choices, as well as being competative.

I'll then go and shop around a few websites, including eBay, and post a total cost for my experiment.

Heck, for fun, I'll do this three times, for three different armies.

If the mods will allow me to respond to my own initial post for this thread, I'll get the first one up soon.
Old 30 May 2006, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: How much does it really cost to make a 2000 point army?

I havnt really noticed the prices rising, however I have only bought tau recently.

Xtil
Old 30 May 2006, 17:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually if you look Firewarriors and Kroot boxes used to be $30 and have now been bumped up to 35 and thats just a couple of examples.

Old 30 May 2006, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First Army:

I'm picking Necrons, because there aren't a lot of models involved in a necron army, and so that should help keep the costs down.

I'm also going to try to avoid more of the metal models, which will limit my choices somewhat. But, there's another reason for that, and it's that you only get plastics in battleforces, and they're easily the most cost-effective way to make an army.

First, the list:

I'll need an HQ, but points/dollar, HQs are pretty efficient, so I'll go with 2.

HQ 1: Lord w/ Warscythe, Orb, and Veil. - That's 210 points already, in one model.
HQ 2: The Deceiver - Boom, another 300 points. Why Deceiver and not Nightbringer? They're both combat monsters, but I like the Deceiver special rules more.

Troops:
Need necron warriors - two squads of 20 each should do it, and makes a nice phalanx

Up to 1230 points now.

Fast Attack:
Two units of three destroyers each
One unit of 3 scarabs

Heavy Support:
Monolith

Total Points: 2001

Let's go shopping:

Keeping to plastic models has kept this somewhat easier. Two battleforces, one monolith, one deceiver, and one lord and I'm set. Base GW price: $80 + $80 + $55 + $35 + $10 = $260

If I go to one of the many online discounters, I can get 20% off, just like that, with free shipping. Now we're down to $208.

A quick check on eBay, however, shows that I can actually get a battleforce for about $52 + $6 shipping. That's even less than 20% off. But I can't get much else for less than the 20% off, because eBay auctions tend to make you pay for shipping. So $80 for the parts from the online discounter, and $116 for the two battleforces from eBay, and that's a total of $196, for my first 2000 point army.
Old 30 May 2006, 18:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Next up: Chaos (khorne flavoured, but not World Eaters)

Why did I choose Chaos? Cutting right to the chase, in the Chaos Megaforce, you get 12 marines, 8 berserkers, 3 bikers, one rhino, and one defiler, all for $140. Plus, you can really stack up the bonuses and make each model count for a lot...

Not a bad start to an army, let's see what I can do with it.

To be fluffy, I can add a bloodthirster as my HQ; To be cheesy, I can have a daemon prince too! (hehehe )

HQ 1:
Bloodthirsty

HQ 2:
Khorne Lord - Daemonic mutation, strength and resilience, berserker glaive, furious charge, terminator armour, personal icon, spiky bits, feel no pain and a collar of khorne (wow!) 220 points here.

Troops:
8 Bloodletters: 208 points
8 Bloodletters: 208 points

10 Chaos Marines (mark of Chaos Undivided): Heavy Bolter, plasma gun, aspiring champion w/ powerfist, bolt pistol, daemonic mutation - and an Icon, in a rhino (havok launcher, mutated hull, extra armour, smoke launcher - 331 points

5 Chaos Marines (Mark of Chaos Undivided): Lascannon, Icon (90 points)

Elites:
8 khorne berserkers w/ furious charge, 2 plasma pistols:
Aspiring Champion w/ power weapon, pistol, spiky bits, daemonic strength, feel no pain - 270 points

Khornate Bikers: 3 bikers - skilled riders, aspiring champion is daemonvessel, has daemonic chains (197 points)

Heavy Support:
Defiler: Indirect Fire, Mutated Hull, Parasitic Possession, Dedicated to Khorne (270 points)

What do I need to buy:

As stated above, the chaos megaforce comes with 12 chaos marines, including the power weapon for my berserker champion, the power fist, heavy bolter, and plasma gun for my rhino-marine squad, the bikers, rhino, and defiler.

That leaves:
1 Chaos Terminator - to be the Lord (in terminator armour)
2 Chaos Icons, 1 Chaos Havok w/ lascannon
16 Bloodletters
1 Bloodthirsty

At GW prices that comes to:
Megaforce: $140
Chaos Terminator: $10
Chaos Icon Bearers: $10 each
Chaos Havok w/ Lascannon: $10
Bloodthirster: $50
Bloodletters: $45 for 10 - so $90

Total, at GW store prices: $320

That's about $60 more than the Necron force, but the majority of the expense here comes from the metal models - the bloodletters and bloodthirster cost as much as the megaforce does.

Still, at the base 20% off, you could get this army for $256. (That's probably something like 150 pounds).

Can we find any better discounts on eBay?

Quick check: wow, I can get the megaforce for a buy-it-now of $99 - ah, but then I check shipping - $17. That's a little more than my 20% off w/ free shipping.

I found some old-style bloodletters for a fraction of the cost, but they're both old models, and the auction has a long way to go, so I can't count on that price. I'm sure if you were patient, you could get some bargains, but if you had to get started today, you could have this 2000 point army for around $250.
Old 30 May 2006, 18:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon

Redbear, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

You can replace the Bloodthirster model for a Be'Lakor model at half the price. (15pounds I think, instead of 30?)

Also, the bloodletters can be replaced with a plastic box set of beastmen. THats alot for a fair price. Cheaper than metal ones!

And yes, the megaforce is a price saver aswell.

Old 30 May 2006, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, thats crazy my 1700 point Tau army cost me almost $500 and I am more mech then infantry
Old 30 May 2006, 18:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, army 3:

The old standby: Marines. Again, picking an army that has a very attractively priced megaforce, lots of plastic components, and that will do well in the game.

HQ:
1) Commander (Chapter Master) w/ power sword, plasma pistol, terminator honors, combat shield
Command Squad:
1 Marine w/ flamer
1 Company Champion
1 Apothecary
1 Banner Bearer
1 Sgt w/ terminator honours, powerfist, bolt pistol (315)

2) Chaplain (master of sanctity) w/ jump pack, adamantine mantle, terminator honours, plasma pistol (185)

Troops:
1) 6 Marines (1 flamer, sgt w/ term homours, powerfist, bolt pistol), mounted in Razorback (twin-linked lascannon, extra armour, smoke) (224)
2) 10 Marines (1 plasmagun, 1 missile launcher, sgt w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, term honours) (145)
3) 10 Marines (1 plasmagun, 1 missile launcher, sgt w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, term honours) (145)

Elites:
1) 5 terminators (2 assault cannons) (240)
2) 1 dreadnaught (venerable, w/ assault cannon, heavy flamer, extra armour) (140)

Fast Attack:
1) Assault Squad (10 guys): 1 plasma pistol, 1 flamer, sgt w/ terminator honours, powerfist, bolt pistol (261)

Heavy Support:
1) Predator Annihilator (lascannon sponsons, extra armour) (150)
2) Predator Annihilator (heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour) (135)

Hrm, this is going to be more expensive. Marines don't stack points up as easily as chaos, plus, the battleforce box offered to marines is not quiet as good a deal because it includes a command squad, that is pretty much wasted after you have one.

Even still, let's do the math;
HQ 1, Troops 1&2, and the terminators are all part of the megaforce, at $160.
Dreadnought: $40
Assault Squad: 2 boxes @ $25 each
Predators: $40 each
1 box marines: $35
Chaplain w/ jumppack: $15

Total cost: $380 - $60 more than the chaos force, $120 more than the necrons. Less 20% gets you $304.

But... these are marines - and marines are everywhere. A quick scan on ebay shows that I can get predators and dreadnoughts for about $20 + shipping, and, well, if you don't mind using paint stripper, you can get just about the whole army for under $100.

But, there you have it. Three armies, each that you can build to 2000 points for $300 US or less.
Old 30 May 2006, 18:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimxon
You can replace the Bloodthirster model for a Be'Lakor model at half the price. (15pounds I think, instead of 30?)

Also, the bloodletters can be replaced with a plastic box set of beastmen. THats alot for a fair price. Cheaper than metal ones!
There you go, even more savings...

I realize that there are expensive armies out there, but I wonder, how much of it is that the hobby is expensive, and how much of it is that people don't know how to be frugal, or don't want to admit that there are choices to be made throughout life. You can get a 2000 point army, or an X-Box 360, for about the same price.
Old 30 May 2006, 20:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimxon
Redbear, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

And yes, the megaforce is a price saver aswell.
I have a Spacewolf/Khorne theme army.

My bloodletters are metal wolves, my blood thirtster a badass werewolf.

What would be $150 GW was less then $50 non GW modles.
Closed Thread