Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault Rules
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Assault Rules

Hey, I was just flipping through the rule book and reading about assaults when I read something that if correct means I have been playing the game wrong since 4th came out and I am sure other people have as well.

The assault rule says "a player can declare a charge with any of his units that he believes are in assault range of an enemy unit not already engaged in close combat"

Does this mean that once a CC starts Squad A is fighting Squad B, no other units can charge the combat? Thats what I get from this rule, ie.. Squad A is fighting Squad B, Squad C cannot join the fight
Old 30 May 2006, 18:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Assault Rules

You misquoted. The quote, which is from page 36 in the macragge booklet reads:

"In his own Assault phase, a player can declare a charge with any of his units that he believes are within assault range of an enemy unit and not already in close combat."

Italics added for emphasis.

Despite the lack of commas, the meaning is clear. You can attempt to charge someone on two conditions. One, you must believe you're in assault range. You don't need to actually be in assault range, but you at least need to think you are, so you can measure to find out. Secondly, YOU must not be in a close combat already. An example:

Squad A is in assault with the opponents squad Alpha. So long as Squad A is in assault with Alpha, Squad A cannot assault squad Beta. On your opponents turn, squad Beta could assault squad A however, because squad Beta is not already locked in an assault.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 30 May 2006, 18:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Assault Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Commander Archive
You miss quoted. The quote, which is from page 36 in the macragge booklet reads:

"In his own Assault phase, a player can declare a charge with any of his units that he believes are within assault range of an enemy unit and not already in close combat."

Italics added for emphasis.

Despite the lack of commas, the meaning is clear. You can attempt to charge someone on two conditions. One, you must believe you're in assault range. You don't need to actually be in assault range, but you at least need to think you are, so you can measure to find out. Secondly, YOU must not be in a close combat already. An example:

Squad A is in assault with the opponents squad Alpha. So long as Squad A is in assault with Alpha, Squad A cannot assault squad Beta. On your opponents turn, squad Beta could assault squad A however, because squad Beta is not already locked in an assault.
So I did, strange how the mind misses things. Thanks
Closed Thread