Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW Marketing Strategy
Closed Thread
Old 28 May 2006, 06:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default GW Marketing Strategy

Anyone find it odd that GW's latest marketing pitch is to market their products to people 12-17 years of age, yet they continue to raise the price of their models. $5 more this year in June, when I was at Games Day I was discussing the price increase with a few of the staff and their answers were along the lines of "Wargaming is more of a luxury hobby"

If GW gaming is a "luxury hobby" then why are you marketing it to 12-17 year olds. When I was 12-17 i didn't have $100 a week to go buy toys with. I had an allowance that basically was enough for me to go see a movie on a Friday night and get some fast food with my friends.

With the price increase, even if a 12-17 year old could get a $100 he/she could only get 1 battleforce but it would take the kid probably 2-3 months to get that $100.

Seems like GW is running themselves out of business.
Old 28 May 2006, 06:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: GW Marketing Strategy

GW really isn't the smartest company... I'm 14, I get about 50 USD a week, most of which must be spent on essentials like food (yes, I pay for my own food - best diet ever) and clothing. That leaves about 20 USD a week, which I split between music and war hammer.

Ebay rocks.
Old 28 May 2006, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea it doesnt make a lot of sense. The only reason Ive been able to buy so much new stuff is a rather unique circumstance. Normally I get maybe 10 bucks a week and thats assuming I dont spend it... I sometimes scrounge up more by various means but its so unreliable. I may make a grand total of 75 a month. Minus the occasional fast food and movie splurg and thats not a whole lot.

Old 28 May 2006, 09:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, they're marketing it to the kids, but they're expecting the Parents to pay for it, what with their jobs and all.

*shrug*

D-DS
Old 28 May 2006, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSquid
Well, they're marketing it to the kids, but they're expecting the Parents to pay for it, what with their jobs and all.

*shrug*

D-DS
in that case they should market lower than 14. dont know about you but my parents stopped buying me toys when i was 13, from then on i had an allowance and that was it. i think GW should advertise more. loads of people have heard of warhammer, most will not play it for 3 reasons:
1)expensive
2)dont know how
3)nerdy

advertise a bit and you could eliminate problems 2 and 3. dont squander all the precious LOTR income and you could've solved problem one.

Old 28 May 2006, 10:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you all are making me feel old. I'm a full time college student who also works full time.

of course this means that if I want something for my army I can just go get it > .

however, the marketing that I've seen hasn't really been geared toward any age group.
Old 28 May 2006, 14:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

Age group is supposedly 12 and up, it says on the box. So GW assumes that all 12 year olds aren't lazy people who sit at home all day and play video games. They expect all 12 year olds to have some type of income and spend it on all warhammer like in the olden days when there would be something expensive and all the children would work and save up all their money just to get it. Well seeing as GW started in the eighties I think they just haven't realized times have changed, and Elessar points are what is making them crumble. I will list them again:

1)Expensive:Elessar has already said that if they hadn't thought LOTR was going to stay in forever then this would be problem would be a little less severe.
2)Don't know how this problem seems to be geared around the young gaming community
3)Nerdy Biggest problem they have in fact with the price and the whole "nerdy" thing Warhammer is practically repelling what would've been new enthusiast gamers, the media is part of what makes this problem. That and the whole popularity craze that happens through high school.

And that is what I think is causing GW marketing strategy to fail.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 28 May 2006, 15:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuriousmonke
Age group is supposedly 12 and up, it says on the box. So GW assumes that all 12 year olds aren't lazy people who sit at home all day and play video games. They expect all 12 year olds to have some type of income and spend it on all warhammer like in the olden days when there would be something expensive and all the children would work and save up all their money just to get it. Well seeing as GW started in the eighties I think they just haven't realized times have changed
Dude, in the "olden days" kids would be lucky to make enough money to afford a single blister a week. Hobbies like video games and warhammer rely on kids getting truely ludicrious amounts of pocket money from fairly affulent middle class parents. In most western countries kids couldn't legally work enough to make $100 USD a week (due to various protection of children acts).

Personally I think most GW customers are 12-16, but I think it is those of age 18+ that are buying the overwhelming majority of product. I remember as a kid struggling to put together an army over a year or two (and that was back in 2nd ed when armies where half the size they are now), and now I can go buy a whole new army in 2-3 months (and I am on a very low income for an adult).
Old 28 May 2006, 15:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Actually, I think GWs strategy is (or should be) to et 12-15 year olds in the store, play a game with them, and get them to start the hobby. If their hobby is video games, their parents will be thankful they might be interested in something thats not sitting infront of a CPU/TV for 6 hours a day blowing an alians head off (now I play WoW alot so Im sorta hurting myself here too ). Or, if their past hobbies are, say, football, they tend to have a good amount off money saved up to spend, and theymight buy Macragge or a squad. Either way, GW earns money. It doesnt matter if they get really into 40k or the stuff winds up on ebay in a month, GW still makes $$. Thats how and wh they market to 12-15.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 28 May 2006, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuriousmonke
3)Nerdy Biggest problem they have in fact with the price and the whole "nerdy" thing Warhammer is practically repelling what would've been new enthusiast gamers, the media is part of what makes this problem. That and the whole popularity craze that happens through high school.
what i think seriously helped GW cause in this department was dawn of war. while computer games used to be very nerdy this is hardly the case anymore, with just about every male young person (25 and under ish) playing them in some form or antoher. dawn of war showed people how a squad of marines holding the line against a horde of orks is cool. Fire Warrior had the potential to do the same, but i dont think the game was exploited asmuch as it could've been, it needed more funding.(GW didn't trust its funds to a computer game)

Closed Thread