Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Female Players?
Closed Thread
Old 22 May 2006, 21:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Female Players?

There don't seem to be an abundance of female players in any sort of game like this, be it Magic, D&D or Warhammer 40k... In fact, I have only seen one female 40k player, and one female D&D player and no female Magic players... is my first statement true?

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 22 May 2006, 22:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Female Players?

well in my little group of Dnd, warhammer 40k, magic players theres i think one girl, and she plays magic and dnd, but the rest is guys. i guess its just a masculine thing or something. maybe there asking the same question about why there are no guys that like to shop for clothes or something like that.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 22 May 2006, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

good point... although I'm sure there are some out there

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 22 May 2006, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here's one for ya....I play 40k and love it ;D

But yeah we are few in numbers

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from you kids!
Old 22 May 2006, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

we must bring all the blinded ladies to the light of 40k! and goddes of darkness shall be the leader, to be an example of how wonderful the 40k life is!

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 22 May 2006, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

I know of girls that play and young gamers mothers who say there only in it for the painting. I do know a fair few crossdresser that are into warhammer, D&D and magic I should Know I'm one of them ;D

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 22 May 2006, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Interesting, although I don't think crossdress count as real women ;D I'm glad that there are poepl who play warhammer and think of it as a guilty pleasure (moms+painting)

Quote:
Old 22 May 2006, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's a cultural thing really. Even though all the games mentioned are social events that require no actual violent activity, and almost completely rely on conversation, they have the stigma of being "violent" activities because that is what is being represented, albeit in a fictional way. This is especially true for Magic and Warhammer, because not only are they "violent", but they are also often associated with competitiveness, even though most games are casual events among friends, and not set in the competitive framework of a tourney.

Because in most societies view violence and competitiveness as masculine traits, most women shy away from them even though they are often interested in other aspects of the hobbies. For example, most women I show the miniatures to, or talk to about want to paint up a couple of their own, but the idea of playing an actual game was a laughable suggestion.

Off all games, roleplaying games (such as D&D) are the most likely to breach the gender gap, because it is essentially like acting or playing pretend. A lot more of the game is based off of pretending to be someone else, and therefore has less of an emphasis on combat. This is especially true in campaigns based in urban areas or in campaigns that encourage social connections amongst characters, such as kinship or romance.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 22 May 2006, 22:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

that's a really good point you make... it is true that women shy away from violence, however there is still violence in D&D, but is isn't against another player but rather a creature that EVERYONE wants to die... the painting I haven't seen so much of , at least not in the area of interest, but it is plausable

Quote:
Old 22 May 2006, 22:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Unfortunately Tech-Commander is right...which gave me an idea for recruiting...

I'll put some ads in Dolly and Cosmo Mags. If they think its ok then it must be right.

Back on topic...

Not many girls I know will sit down and watch a good war movie or anything like that because it isn't feminine. But what they don't realise is that there is more to games like this than trying to kill each other.

There is strategy and planning and generally getting your brain working.

Then the skills of painting.

Also the people you can meet while playing.

For me it's a win win situation. I moved across the country to no friends etc and this has helped me make more.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from you kids!
Closed Thread