Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Beardiest thing you have seen an opponent do with a model to gain an advantage
Closed Thread
Old 22 May 2006, 07:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Beardiest thing you have seen an opponent do with a model to gain an advantage

I was at a GW store the other day playing what I thought was a friendly game of 40k against a Chaos player. Well the game was going particularly well for me and I was wondering why things were easier then normal against Chaos. I found out the reason I was having a easier time was because my opponent had a greater demon to summon in our 1250 point game that had yet to show itself. Well on turn 3 he summons the beast and places it on the table.

Now normally I don't really care whether or not someone puts a model on the standard 1" base or on the larger round bases but this guys Greater Demon's base was a Compact Disc.

My opponent then proceeds to move his model its 6" of move but really moved about 8-10" because it was centered on the CD and the CD is about 6" wide.

When I quetioned him about it he stated that he could use a bigger base if he wanted to as it says in the BGB you can. Talk about taking the rules literally.

On top of this the whole game when he was measuring to shoot I mistakenly thought he was measuring from the edge of the base or the center of it for ranges but I was wrong, he actually measured from where the barrel of his gun ended. I finally clued in on why every marine was carrying a bolter with a sniper rifle barrel on it. I thought he did it for character or fluff but he did it to gain the extra few MM-CM's.

Anyone else have an experience like this or worse?
Old 22 May 2006, 08:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Beardiest thing you have seen an opponent do with a model to gain an advantage

I was playing a chaos player once with my catachans

He feilded all of 30 models in 2000 points.

When i asked him where the rest of his army was he blatently lied to me saying that his troops had been souped up.

Later he proceeded to bust out a Greater deamon, and set 4 full squads of deamons on me.
The game was a draw but i was still peeved at the little [bad word]

Little idiot got it later when i showed up with my daemon hunters. I lost all of... 2 model in that battle :P
Old 22 May 2006, 10:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default Re: Beardiest thing you have seen an opponent do with a model to gain an advantage

measuring from front to back, and sayign his space marines had 6 stats instead of 4.... I stoppeed playing after turn 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tanis
I was at a GW store the other day playing what I thought was a friendly game of 40k against a Chaos player. Well the game was going particularly well for me and I was wondering why things were easier then normal against Chaos. I found out the reason I was having a easier time was because my opponent had a greater demon to summon in our 1250 point game that had yet to show itself. Well on turn 3 he summons the beast and places it on the table.

Now normally I don't really care whether or not someone puts a model on the standard 1" base or on the larger round bases but this guys Greater Demon's base was a Compact Disc.

My opponent then proceeds to move his model its 6" of move but really moved about 8-10" because it was centered on the CD and the CD is about 6" wide.

When I quetioned him about it he stated that he could use a bigger base if he wanted to as it says in the BGB you can. Talk about taking the rules literally.

On top of this the whole game when he was measuring to shoot I mistakenly thought he was measuring from the edge of the base or the center of it for ranges but I was wrong, he actually measured from where the barrel of his gun ended. I finally clued in on why every marine was carrying a bolter with a sniper rifle barrel on it. I thought he did it for character or fluff but he did it to gain the extra few MM-CM's.

That is sickening. Why someone would do that, eugh.

I am lucky I spose, I have never seen this sort of thing, apart from measuring funny.
Worst would probably be the necrons that move 7" and are fearless, but that was a genuine bit of idiocy for the first one, and a harmless mistake for the second, so I didn't mind. Plus we all take the mick now hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 22 May 2006, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Doesn't matter how big the base is, six inches is still six inches. If you measure from the center, then you measure to the center. If you measure from the edge, then you measure to the edge.

There is very little advantage to be gained from having a large base. It allows more opponents to get into base-to-base with you. It makes it harder for you to hide behind terrain.

As for measuring range, you might want to point out page 6 of the rulebook, where it clearly states that when measuring ranges for models with bases, you use the edge of the base, not any bit that may sticking out.

The traditional beardy modelling trick is the kneeling wraithlord, so that he's shorter and harder to shoot.
Old 22 May 2006, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Quote:
Doesn't matter how big the base is, six inches is still six inches. If you measure from the center, then you measure to the center. If you measure from the edge, then you measure to the edge.

There is very little advantage to be gained from having a large base. It allows more opponents to get into base-to-base with you. It makes it harder for you to hide behind terrain.

As for measuring range, you might want to point out page 6 of the rulebook, where it clearly states that when measuring ranges for models with bases, you use the edge of the base, not any bit that may sticking out.

The traditional beardy modelling trick is the kneeling wraithlord, so that he's shorter and harder to shoot.
There was a huge advantage to his CD base. Sure he moved 6" but then his base reached out another 3", so that increased his assault range as the extra area of the base allowed him to reach out and touch someone that more far away
Old 22 May 2006, 16:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Beardiest thing you have seen an opponent do with a model to gain an advanta

He was abusing that base.

You measure from the front edge to the front edge of the base. That ensures that you only ever move 6". It means his model on a 5" base (the CD) should end it's move with the back of it's base 1" forward of where the front of his base was when he started to move.

However as long as a player measures properly (front edge to front edge) then he can put a model on as large a base as he wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

A guy who did chaos said he could give all of the models in one of his units Lascannons, and could move and shoot them. And they were pretty cheap in points too. Not sure what unit they were, but definitely not Obliterators.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 23 May 2006, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:

That cracked me up, what a flaming cheating moron...

I've never seen rule abuses like that, if I did I'd call the opponent on it mercelessly. If they want to cheat like that I'll gladly pick up my models and leave, and then brag about how I won the game by default just to piss them off.

Everyone else is right btw, there is no advantage to a larger base at all, your friend was merely cheating in how he moved it.
Old 23 May 2006, 01:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually, there would be a slight advantage to having a larger base on a greater daemon. The movement phase would remain the same that's true, but the greater daemon takes the place of a smaller model when it comes into play, and this is when the beardyness comes in.

The base of the chaos lord would be one inch wide. The base of the greater daemon is the size of a CD, which for the sake of argument will be 6 inches in diameter. This makes the new base 5' larger, which means that the edge of the base would have moved out 2.5' farther in each direction. The model has in essence "moved" 2.5' in every direction as a result of being summoned.

Hence, beardyness. 8)
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Closed Thread