Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armor's use fullness in 40k
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2006, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Armor's use fullness in 40k

How effective are tanks?(not including artilry such as russ and baskalisk or any thing with wepons only vehicle mounted.)
A 5 man devastator squad can get 2 lascannons and a heavy bolter for 1609 if memory serves me right)
A land raider has those same wepons for 250 points.

The tank has better acrurcy but for 90 points.
devastators can survive more fire than a land raider, butare vulnerable to all wepons.

a single shot can kill a land raider while 5 are needed for the devastors.

Is the tank(not just the land raider) use full in this game?
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 15 May 2006, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Armor's use fullness in 40k

The land raider CRUSADER is the useful land raider.

Tanks are very important dude. Even though the devastaors are cheaper, but they die rather easily, while a tank won't die that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 15 May 2006, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

In my experience, something with an armour value dies faster than a squad of termies ( for instance )

Something that disapointed me when starting to play with armour was that one penetrating hit was enough. They didnt have saves or wounds.

You can penetrate a tank, but disabl a crew member,
Firing a turn, next turn reloading ( for instance ) instead of just killing the tank.
Only fast vehicles or ordnance vehicles are in my list now.

Piranha for cover hugging.

In my guard army I will only use bassislisks.
Im a huge thread head, but I just cant play with these metal monsters because they can be taken out a bit too easy for my taste
Old 15 May 2006, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

One thing to consider is that even the lowly lasguns en mass can down devastators, broadsides, havocs, heavy weapon teams, you name it if its infantry small arms fire can down it. However a tank will simply ignore anything that is below str 4 and that can only hurt AV 10 (the lowest) on a 6, there are plenty of tanks with higher AV even all around. So the only threat your armor has is from anti tank weaponry and if your good you can get rid of most if not all of that quickly and mitigate your opponents ability to stop you.

Tanks are very usefull you just have to use them right. For instance you dont want to use a Hammerhead like a Russ and you dont usually want light transports to try and be shooty or too expencive. Each tank has a purpose and needs to be used for it. For instance a rhino may not be a great tank but its excelent mobile terrain and has many uses, a Land Raider is a poor transport but can set up a decent fire magnet and ok output, the crusader is a much better transport and great for getting those assault termies to the fight. The Hammerhead is a wonderful mobile tank but always needs to be moving and should never sit around like a russ, etc, etc, etc.

Also I would never field lone tanks even two is many times too few. When you have few tanks they just get blown away. If your going to use armor I would suggest 3 and up to split your opponents anti tank fire otherwise your armor will just get busted to pieces in one volley.

Old 15 May 2006, 22:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The way you say how to use the tanks is quite incorrect. Tanks are supposed to be supported by infantry. Infantry provide the "wounds" for the tank (ex. a guardsman taking the lascannon instead of the tank). The other way is to use the tank sans infantry. That considerible reduces the survivabilty of the tank. That's why they are so vulerable in your case.
Old 15 May 2006, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
The way you say how to use the tanks is quite incorrect. Tanks are supposed to be supported by infantry. Infantry provide the "wounds" for the tank (ex. a guardsman taking the lascannon instead of the tank). The other way is to use the tank sans infantry. That considerible reduces the survivabilty of the tank. That's why they are so vulerable in your case.
In real life, yes, tanks need support from infantry. In 40k though, infantry cant support tanks really. Why in the world would your opponent fire a lascannon at a guardsman instead of a tank, its not like the gaurdsman can screen it.

The way I use tanks is to take atleast 5-6. The opponent cant take them all out before you take out his anti-armor weapons. But yeah, a lone tank or two wont do much unless it has A14.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is one of the reasons that I switched to Tyranids: no tanks.

I would rather take a wound on a Carnifex than have my hammerhead (used to play Tau...) be stunned and just sit and be an easy target.

At least the fex keeps moving and shooting and getting closer to assault.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

In my old Witch Hunter army (the only one I fielded which had tanks lately, not walkers), I safely fielded two Exorcists and rained my death upon the enemy in close support of my Sisters...two medium (13-strong) squads of each were on hand to protect their tank. If you've got infantry that can handle that kind of firepower and still worry about killing that tank, good for you. Any tank that gets in range of those things is pretty doomed.

Enemy heavy weapon teams can 'snipe' in a way and hit you from long away...but really...that's about it and it's one weakness you can't easily avoid (except trying to kill them, which is their true usefulness- distracting you from destroying what you took the tanks for).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 16 May 2006, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is like a Falcon VS. a Wraithlord.

On one hand you can use the Falcon to transport small squads, but the WL can't get a Weapons Destroyed (or can they?).
Old 16 May 2006, 15:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, High toughness is actually preferable to light armor; if you have T7 or 8, those S 3/4 weapons can`t hurt you... not so with AV10. Plus, being a creature means they still have to roll to-wound, and then you`re talking about most likely getting an armor-save.

Getting through 2-4 wounds before having any effect on the firing-capacity of that giant bug or wraithlord can be a lot tougher than just laying one or two penetrating hits down; which at least will knock the thing down a peg or two...
Closed Thread