Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dealing with arrogance
Closed Thread
Old 10 May 2006, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Dealing with arrogance

How do other people deal with arrogance in players? Does it just not bother you, or what do you do?

I'm sure we've all been a little arrogant at some time, but when someone constantly badgers on about how amazing his army is or whatever, when does it get too much? Case and point, an eldar and a necron army in my area. I'm good friends with both guys, but they're both so incredibly cocky and arrogant it isn't even funny. The necron player, first of all, rubbed it in incredibly when he beat me (by ~100 points in a 500 point game, in my VERY FIRST GAME) for... well... a week or so. The Eldar player also pretty much never stops talking about how his army will own; he's convinced he's invincible (I've yet to play him, so we'll see).

Anyways, the main question is, besides utterly trouncing the guy... how do/can you deal with arrogance?

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 10 May 2006, 01:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Dealing with arrogance

Beat them. Slaughter their little army into total annihilation and make it obvious that it had nothing to do with your list, and everything to do with their own incompetance and unremarkable tactical knowledge.

People who play and mock newbies for losing usually get wasted by anyone with a little skill. Its no different from all those L60's on the WoW pvp servers who get their kicks taking out things 40 levels under them, yet need to call all of their friends when someone slightly more than half their size/power shows up.
Old 10 May 2006, 01:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I have yet to find a good way and it is certainly incredibly annoying and irritating. Its not so bad at first but after the minutes wear on into hours you just want them to shut their yap. This is why I dont really go to the local GW store anymore because there are a ton of such players there who are cocky and arrogant in the extreme and playing them not only isnt a challenge its just not fun and this is a game after all to have fun. Overall I find there is nothing you can do but ignore them and refuse to play them or beat them horribly.

Besides I dont see the point in constantly touting about your army. At my local hobby shop I dont have to say anything for myself my army is known and feared and others do the talking quite well without me having to say a word all I have to do is keep obliterating marines and others.

In short let them bluster, anyone with a brain will not be fooled and realize how shallow they really are. They are an annoyance but one that, as I find, has no real solution.

Old 10 May 2006, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Hmmm, so besides the fact I mentioned besides beating them, the advice I get is to beat them.

:

Haha, yeah, I guess I'll just have to practice with some of the nicer players I know.

:P

It's also pretty annoying when talking to them for a while. They make their army seem utterly invincible, and then I ask for one stat of their unit and then instantly see a counter and tell them. It's funny... they still keep going.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 10 May 2006, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The last one I met was so utterly certain that 13th company was invincible and he wasnt the only one there at the time. One is bad enough but having 4 in the same room at the same time is just plain evil. The funny thing is the whole while he was ranting about his army he had no idea what my force was doing and I had to spend 10 minutes explaining to him why my skimmer wall was still intact after 2 turns and all had still moved more than 6" and that yes my fusion blaster worked like a melta gun and carbines had pinning it was rediculous.

Still other than outright proving them wrong infront of a crowd (normally by beating them flat) there is nothing you can really do, its not like you can tell them to be quite and they will actually listen, or at least Ive never seen one listen. Its worse when you have more than one of them together at a time.

Old 10 May 2006, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Beat them. Slaughter their little army into total annihilation and make it obvious that it had nothing to do with your list, and everything to do with their own incompetance and unremarkable tactical knowledge.
These people I enjoy beating more than everyone...and when I do, I act as arrogant and masterfully awesome as them. Ever see me act that way on the boards? I do it as a joke against these highly irritating and unfun people. Fanboys, metricists (those who use metrics to death in making an army list) and just plain uppity people all need to be beaten in front of people, mocked, ridiculed and taunted. Some say not to sink to their level and that's generally what you should do- if it matters. I will never play a game against someone that annoys me in this manner again...so I make sure they feel as bad as possible about being idiots.

That's an extreme measure but I know of extreme cases where people take to half-throwing my models around the room whenever they manage to kill one...and arguing over every single measurement and that such and such a rule of mine, by letting me counter their daemon-bombing power list, is beardy and abused. Such people deserve and receive no respect or decency from me.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 10 May 2006, 03:27   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
These people I enjoy beating more than everyone...and when I do, I act as arrogant and masterfully awesome as them. Ever see me act that way on the boards? I do it as a joke against these highly irritating and unfun people. Fanboys, metricists (those who use metrics to death in making an army list) and just plain uppity people all need to be beaten in front of people, mocked, ridiculed and taunted. Some say not to sink to their level and that's generally what you should do- if it matters. I will never play a game against someone that annoys me in this manner again...so I make sure they feel as bad as possible about being idiots.

That's an extreme measure but I know of extreme cases where people take to half-throwing my models around the room whenever they manage to kill one...and arguing over every single measurement and that such and such a rule of mine, by letting me counter their daemon-bombing power list, is beardy and abused. Such people deserve and receive no respect or decency from me.
now you Bash are a very smart person in this.

i just sort of ignore them...a lot and although they keep talking i just completely destroy their army by turn 2 and ask for any other comers, i try to teach and be taught by these simple minded fools who brag and brag until i smack their army to oblivion and they call me beardy, then i tell them that all i have is a moustachee (and a small one at that) i love that dumbfound expression on their stupid mugs

Old 10 May 2006, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
How do other people deal with arrogance in players? Does it just not bother you, or what do you do?

I'm sure we've all been a little arrogant at some time, but when someone constantly badgers on about how amazing his army is or whatever, when does it get too much? Case and point, an eldar and a necron army in my area. I'm good friends with both guys, but they're both so incredibly cocky and arrogant it isn't even funny. The necron player, first of all, rubbed it in incredibly when he beat me (by ~100 points in a 500 point game, in my VERY FIRST GAME) for... well... a week or so. The Eldar player also pretty much never stops talking about how his army will own; he's convinced he's invincible (I've yet to play him, so we'll see).

Anyways, the main question is, besides utterly trouncing the guy... how do/can you deal with arrogance?
Let them talk. Hopefully they'll reveal a secret ploy or weakness in their army. That's what I let cocky people do, I let them talk themselves into defeat...

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 10 May 2006, 03:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Sorry to sound like I'm ripping into Math-hammer (reading the last post there reminded me of it), but I've played a game against a guy who had perfectly printed out sheets of metrics and graphical tables for what weapon to use against me in what situation and he spent a good 5 minutes skimming through these to do any action and then sneered when he actually managed to kill a dummy unit I sent to a flank to draw his fire and then hit him with my main assault units, to which he cringed visibly and said that "at least I don't use beardy tactics to win my games".

I ignored him in this, because I just wanted to beat him...but he then proceeded to 'accidentally' knock my models over and chip the paint on the metal ones...and this I can take as an accident, we all do it, but we don't do it about 5-6 times in a game and then say "well, it's not like your painting was good anyway". At this I just had enough, packed up my army, told him very politely where he can forcibly insert his army, then walked out and never played in that game store again.

I don't like walking out...but arrogant people annoy me and when you challenge that arrogance by beating them, they usually act like small children. This guy was in his late 20s, I was about 15-16 at the time...and he should consider himself quite fortunate I am not as pathetically vindictive as he is and waited outside for him.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 10 May 2006, 03:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Excuse me for saying this, but I would have knocked the {insert explitive} out of that guy. I especially hate it when people do {insert explitive} like that and they don't apologize or anything.

{Don't want to get in trouble for cursing.}

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Closed Thread