Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interesting News tidbit about UK GT
Closed Thread
Old 08 May 2006, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Interesting News tidbit about UK GT

Was perusing another 40k board and came across this tidbit.

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=16340

Quickly summed up Codex:Eye of Terror, Codex:Armageddon, and Craftworld: Eldar are no longer allowed as valid army lists in the GW UK Grand Tournament. Mind you this is all hearsay until there is an official notice, but thought it was interesting enough to share and wondering if the US GW tournament scene would be adopting the same plans.
Old 08 May 2006, 23:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: Interesting News tidbit about UK GT

Reiculous, and absolutly stupid. I can stand price increases, but when they are dropping LaTD...thats were it has to stop. And there are no rumors of them getting a new fix anytime soon, so what the heck are LaTD people gonna do?

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 08 May 2006, 23:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Geez, I hope this doesn't spread to the U.S. I was planning on starting Speed Freaks, too :-\

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 08 May 2006, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

The books aren't printed anymore; it was only a matter of time.

The simple answer in any case: Don't play in a grand tournament by GW.

Simple as.

Cheers!
Old 08 May 2006, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I could see them dropping the Speed Freek list when the new Ork codex came out...I can handle there being no Black Templars now they have a real codex. Oh, sure, we can live without the Ulthwe Strike Force when there's already a strong Ulthwe Craftworld army list anywa- wait, NO, this was cut out as well.

Marines cut off? The Salamanders who can be used almost identically in the Trait system. The Black Templars who got a new codex with more stuff. The 13th Company who, I admit, I will miss...but aren't all that different from the original Space Wolves.

What did everyone else lose? Speed Freeks, the most popular form of Ork army that there is. Lost and the Damned, the archetypal TRUE 'bad guys' in 40k, the only thing that really made Eldar personalised and interesting (to me, anyway). All these losses and for what possible gain?

If I had any of these armies (oh wait, I do), I'd be extremely annoyed and disappointed.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 08 May 2006, 23:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechar
Good move.
How so? They are getting rid of LaTD and 13th Company.

But as Mal pointed out, it's just in Grand TOurnament. But I fear this will go to every tournament.

Better get a EoT codex now before they dissapear...

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 09 May 2006, 00:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechar
Good move.
How so? They are getting rid of LaTD and 13th Company.

But as Mal pointed out, it's just in Grand TOurnament. But I fear this will go to every tournament.

Better get a EoT codex now before they dissapear...
Pay me for the postage and you can have mine for free

That goes for any of my codices which I don't even read anymore...I'm finding out people to give them to.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 09 May 2006, 00:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Interesting. My first thought was 'Hah! So long cheesy Alaitoc and Ulthwe lists! Never will thy min-maxing blasphemies pollute a GT again!'.

But then I realized that on the other hand, there are still plenty of other abusable lists, so it does nothing useful. Not that this was even a concern for the event organizers in any case.

All it seems to do is reduce variety. I grant that the case for Eldar makes sense, due to the timing. I think Eldar will probably be quite rare with people not wanting to take chances using a new Codex, but that remains to be seen. But Armageddon? Why cut the whole thing? Why not just cut the obselete parts? Speed Freeks were the main Tournie Ork list of choice, and one of the coolest armies in the game. I doubt there will be much vanilla Ork representation because they can't be cheesed, and UK GTs are all about suped-up lists.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 09 May 2006, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I admit that I was bummed as an Eldar player, but I guess it is mitigated by the fact that a new codex is rumored to be coming out late this year or early next year.

But I think they hit upon a good point.* They have to phase out the existing supply of codexes at some point.* This just gives the retailers time to get stocks off their hands I reckon.

As for the eldar list abuses. I think that if they raised the min number of models for ranger units for Alaitoc to prevent so many disruption rolls and limitng the Ulthwe seer council's max number of warlocks, most of the problems would be addressed.
Old 09 May 2006, 00:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Damn! I won't be taking my Ulthwe to a GT any time soon then. All they needed to do was put a 10 man limit on Seer Councils.

It's pretty huge if it's true. Seeing as a whole lot of Eldar players use Ulthwe. Then again, the new Ork and Eldar codex' shouldn't be too far away and I've no doubt there will be an Ulthwe and Speed Freak option in them.

13th Company will probably eventually get added to the Space Wolf Dex when it gets redone.

The LaTD is pretty big though, I'd imagine a new Chaos Dex is a LONG way off and I can't see a stand alone LaTD Codex getting done anytime soon.