Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need opinions (Close combat troops)
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Need opinions (Close combat troops)

I currently play IG, but like many others, i occasionally have a desire to dish out some hurt in CC instead of taking it all the time. also, id like to start a new army, preferably not horde, as i realize the mind-numbing work to paint up a horde army.

looking for: low model count, excellent close combat.

i hear blood angels, black templar, grey knights, and Khorne bezerkers are good examples of CC oriented guys with less models than my IG.

opinions?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 07 May 2006, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Need opinions (Close combat troops)

Khorne is the ultimate close combat army IMO. they cost 20 points per models so they arent cheap, they are very survivable because they have feel no pain and the normal 3+ marine save. along with tht they have Khornate chainaxes which allow your marine opponents to take a 4+ armor save in close combat or just remove them. they also have a bunch of ther goodies, like their demons and a very high powered lord can make very easy work of almost everything.

Old 07 May 2006, 21:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ever thought of 13th company? Pretty assault oriented, some cool upgrades, low model counts, wulfen and a look that mixes both Space Wolves and chaos. Not bad if you ask me.

Old 07 May 2006, 22:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Blood for the Blood Bowl!

I'd go Khorne. The amount of conbversions and detail it allows you will offset your "horde" army.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 May 2006, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
I currently play IG, but like many others, i occasionally have a desire to dish out some hurt in CC instead of taking it all the time. also, id like to start a new army, preferably not horde, as i realize the mind-numbing work to paint up a horde army.

looking for: low model count, excellent close combat.

i hear blood angels, black templar, grey knights, and Khorne bezerkers are good examples of CC oriented guys with less models than my IG.

opinions?
Why not use your Imperial Guard, and just add to them to make an army with assault power. You could do this with the Lost and the Damned. You can field your imperial guard as traitors; and then pile up some marines and daemons and other nasties to do the dirty work you're wanting.

Otherwise, if you want elite combat artists with low model counts, you're going to be looking for a very difficult army to make work well. Even combat armies need numbers. Small numbers hurt elite specialized combat units (look at Grey Knights). Khorne limits our control (and as for the comments above, they do not have feel no pain).

Then there's an even better choice, in my opinion, for you:

Alpha Legion

It's a chaos army. You get to use your guardsmen as cultists. They form the core of just having bodies. Then you take chaos space marines, everything infiltrates for dirt cheap and you can use this to do some serious combat. The marines are your combat artists in the following: Chaos Lord, Chaos Lt., Raptors, Bikes. You don't need big squads to dish out big pain; you can simply use your HQs to be spear heads and then finish up with other units. Fast combat units are probably going to help you get your fix on combat. That's what the above are good for. And you can make a pretty big force, to make up for numbers, with cultists which you already have (using I.G. as substitutes).

--- Other options (low model count, high punch):

Warrior & Tyrant heavy Tyranid.
Bike/Assault Marine heavy Space Marines.
Bike/Raptor heavy Chaos Marines.

I'm sure there's others, but those come to mind as something that may last longer in an all comer sense.

Cheers!
Old 07 May 2006, 22:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wych Cult. Model count is reasonably low. You'll get about 4 or 5 squads of 10 Wyches in Raiders in a 2k list, along with a Lord or two, and some ancilliary units like small units of Warriors with Dark Lances, or Ravagers, or jetbikes.

Not the smallest army in the world, but certainly not a horde.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 07 May 2006, 23:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Definetely go with the Blood God Khorne.

>

Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn!

With a slogan like that, how can you fail? ;D

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 08 May 2006, 00:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

or you could go with the nids'. not the regular ones but the godzilla nids list. (god I hate to say it) the one with the 2 minimum troop choices and the heavy amount of hive tyrants, carnifexes and every other really big bug the tyranid can take. now thats an assault based army.
Old 08 May 2006, 00:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah I have to agree with Howl, Godzilla is like the epitome of low model count high CC. It has the added benefit of being cheaper than most armies because of how few models it takes to fill out the list. Finally, there's the fact that a Godzilla list is as far as you could ever hope to get from guard.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 08 May 2006, 02:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
they are very survivable because they have feel no pain
Khorne Berserkers do not have Feel No Pain unless they have access to the Armoury and specifically buy the Khornate Gift. I think Berserkers are nasty enough as it is without that on top

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread