Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW Canada Price Hike
Closed Thread
Old 05 May 2006, 01:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Aarhus
Default GW Canada Price Hike

Before EVERYBODY gets their panties in a twist, this is ONLY Canada that's getting the hike.

Here's the announcement:
http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn...6/CHANGE06.htm

Here's what changing:
http://coreytamas.com/changes.txt

Here's why they're changing:
http://investor.games-workshop.com/R.../placcount.htm

Here's what went wrong (LoTR, surprise surprise):
http://investor.games-workshop.com/r...ts_int2006.htm

Here's the solution:
http://www.gc-minis.com/

GW is NOT evil. However, they're also not smart.

I'll start the ball rolling on bad thing #1 (aside from the inanely obvious more money out of our pockets)

Some vets I know are actually getting out of the hobby because of another price hike, which is sad an tragic, because they're great guys and I'll miss them in the hobby. Also, with the higher product prices, less new comers will likely join.

Here's an anecdote from a very good friend of mine that I feel describes this situation perfectly:

Quote:
I have an aunt who was buying a new car. When she was working out the price with the dealer, he tacked on an extra $50 to the final number. She asked him what that was about, and he said "Hey, I got bills to pay". She looked him square in the eye and said "News flash... so do I"and walked out. If you know my aunt, you'd know that guy is lucky to still have his teeth... but that's a different story.

If the quality of the product goes up, then a modest price hike isn't unreasonable. If the cost of materials is going up, a modest price hike isn't unreasonable. If GW is running more free events, if they have to pay more import tax in Canada or if it's just a matter of inflation, then fine. That's how it works. Rent goes up, food goes up, utilities go up and wages go up.

The key word here, however, is modest increments. Games Workshop isn't doing that. These are not modest price hikes. According to the info on the GW site, this is worth $40, this is worth $35, and this is worth $45. These aren't reasonable prices for what you get, and that factor overrides whatever bills to pay GW might have. You know I love the GW staff and have no grudge against them, but the first guy who tries to tell me there's a reason why Eldrad Ulthran is worth $35 is going to play a large part in me walking away from GW.

And if it's not worth $35 then, guess what? It's wrong to charge that much. Why? Cause I got bills to pay, too; I'm not GW's automatic teller machine.

Me? As much as I despise this new price hike, I'm going to buck up and bear with it. I still love this game too much.

Cheers,
Lawrence.

All that I write is wrong.
All that is left is right.
- Liber Chaotica, Book of Tzeentch

Vengeance and goo flow through my veins.
I shall paint this town a sanguine shade of doom!
- Battlecry generator
Old 05 May 2006, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: GW Canada Price Hike

<-Canadian

Didn't they just do one of these this year?

:

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 05 May 2006, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Im out. I quit. As much as I love the game, I can no longer afford to pay as much as is needed.
I know I will get ssmited for this but seriously, Game Workshop will lose sooooo much of their market now.
Old 05 May 2006, 01:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

*snore* Huh? What? Another Games Workshop price hike? What else is new?
Old 05 May 2006, 01:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

My opinions of GW at the moment are firmly stated in my signature. Heres an interesting comparison

Years ago GW realized that its US and UK prices were not in line with each other when current exchange rates were factored in. So they jacked up the prices on whoever was lower

A while later Mongoose (the company that produces the Starship Troopers game and who currently have A certain Andy Chambers as a big part of the company) realized the same sort of problem. What did they do? The lowered the prices that were too high!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 05 May 2006, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I supppose this would be a bad time to point out this is already in discussion on the Rumours forum?
Old 05 May 2006, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

Worst idea ever. Do they truly realize that many canadians will simple do the following.

canadian: hello
american relative: hi a
canadian: do you think you could purchase this this and this
american: sure
canadian: okay i'll see you in a few weeks for this or that etc

Long story short this will encourage border crossing and purchasing of items in america then going back. And with all the border controversy this can only lead to trouble. Consequently the price raises with constitute more border conflict...
My .02 anyways.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 05 May 2006, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

It would be, but, eh, what can ya do?

And, since its official, its not really a rumor, anymore, now is it?

Seriously, its time we started to take some action. E-mails, petitions, anything. We should start to organize something.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 05 May 2006, 02:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

GW can bent.

Already Canadians are paying more for warhammer then everybody else, even at old prices it was better to order from the UK.

Now, online shops that sell GW will get even more bussiness.
Old 05 May 2006, 03:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Years ago GW realized that its US and UK prices were not in line with each other when current exchange rates were factored in. So they jacked up the prices on whoever was lower

A while later Mongoose (the company that produces the Starship Troopers game and who currently have A certain Andy Chambers as a big part of the company) realized the same sort of problem. What did they do? The lowered the prices that were too high!
Lovely, that just solidifies my belief in GW=Microsoft of tabletop gaming...

It's a good thing I've pretty much finished buying models then. I just need to buy a few things here and there just to round out each of my armies, and I know that I'll be making those purchases online (Hillcity rules, especially since they have American prices!). The only way I'm starting a third army now is for GW to reduce their prices, so I'll probably have to wait for pigs to fly first...

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Closed Thread