Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheapest, but most effective HQ?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2006, 16:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Cheapest, but most effective HQ?

Which army, has the cheapest, but most effective HQ unit. I'd have to say Demonhunters, 45 pts for an ][ Lord is fairly cheap.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Cheapest, but most effective HQ?

An inquisitor lord with no weaponry, wargear or his mandatory retinue is 45 points.

I think that Tau probably have the cheapset and MOST EFFECTIVE HQ choices.

For 80~100 points you can get a fairly well armed and kit out Shas'el.

He'll be firing two guns a turn at Bs 4 or 5, while being a difficult to target JSJing independant character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
Which army, has the cheapest, but most effective HQ unit. I'd have to say Demonhunters, 45 pts for an ][ Lord is fairly cheap.
Inquisitor Lords are not effective, nor cheap on that scale. The Lord requires a retinue and it's a very expensive ordeal. To make them effective, they must effect the game in some way. The Inquisitor Lord without gear is probably the worst HQ character you can buy in the codex.

Anyhow, let's take a look at that, because it's kind of interesting. But what should be consider? Leadership? Worth as a unit? Combat Ability? Shooting? I guess we'll have to look at them in a full-spectrum light.

And looking over all the HQs out there, there's a few that really come to mind in my eyes, for the raw cheapness and utter usefulness combined:

Witch Hunters ~ Palatine with Book of St. Lucius & Bolter (42 points) - She's a great HQ in the sense of dirt cheap, and she's not easily targeted. Her book grants every friendly unit around her Leadership, unmodified, so she really tucks in nicely with infantry making them very steady (such as guardsmen). And she still has a good old bolter. So price per usability, she is a fantastic steal for the army. She also can be an ally to an I.G. army and simply supply leadership in a way that can be better than even an officer, depending on how you place her.

Eldar ~ Avatar (80 points) - Simply put, that's cheap as dirt for what that is. Here we have an incredible monster who supports his own in combat with his rules and is cheaper than nearly anything else in it's power class point for point. The Avatar is a steal, for cheapness and effectiveness at what it does. Now, getting him to where he needs to be, is another matter...

Chaos ~ Chaos Lord with Stature, Speed, Resilience (100 points) - He's brutally cheap and fast for the kind of terror he is in close combat. This is a monstrous creature who can assault up to 24 inches, so he deserves mention for effectiveness for that cost.

Space Marines ~ Captain with Bolter (61 points) - The Captain is just powerful for his points. He's better than a Palatine in the same category even at the higher price, because he grants his leadership to everyone on this side of the board and not just those near him. Rites of Battle is insane. He doesn't need to be anything else, or do anything else in order to be effective for his cost. He literally costs what 4 sergs would cost to upgrade leadership in just 4 units, and he replaces that for everyone. That's effective and that's cheap for an HQ who supports the army.

Tau ~ Shas'El Commander with Twin-linked Missiles and a Black Sun Filter (71 points) - What can I say other than he's cheap, fast and untargetable with a 36 inch "it's gonna hit!" weapon, that nearly never fails. That's power on the go and he can even do it at night pretty well too. Gotta love the Tau commanders who can drop multiple transports that costed more than they did.

I.G. ~ J.O. with 3x Meltas in the squad; Drop Trooping (70 points) - Cheap, effective and very ready to stomp a vehicle. There are other ways to spread leadership without going all over the place with expensive gear and HQs and Command Squads are great for being the ones who do the dirty deeds to remove the toughest targets right away. The number of weapons scale, but 3 is a good place to be for potential.

Lost and the Damned ~ Aspiring Champion with power fist (42 points) - Cheap, perfect and ready to lead the Horde, granting a great leadership and he's attached and not able to be picked out. We should always be buying a power fist in general doing this, as it's just too good to pass up. And we can have up to 6, but one is good enough for this.

Cheers!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier

Broodlord, enough said =).

Rending and power weapon attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 22:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Um Can we say Archon

105 pts and you get a 2+ inv save and the ability to wound anything ona 4+, powerweapon attacks and strikes before just about anything in the game.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 24 Apr 2006, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by º¥ºAlphaMaleº¥º
Um Can we say Archon

105 pts and you get a 2+ inv save and the ability to wound anything ona 4+, powerweapon attacks and strikes before just about anything in the game.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. For 10 points more you can get something this is almost unparreled in the threature of combat. Get an I 8/9 Archite . If equipped cheaply, say combat drugs (a bargain for it's effects), agoniser and pistol, which weights in a 111 pts, has a potential strength of 5 against vehicles, can charge a unit up to 24" away. I would slay a broodlord in combat and it's retinue. I've seen archites take out tooled up Slaaneshi lords in the past, and their I monsters themselves.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

For SM, I love the bolter captain. Cheap and great Ld! But honestly, Chaos Lords are scary. It's terrifying to know that for as cheap as 100 points or so, you can have a CC beast. Although not cheap, Khorne Lords are absolutely terrifying.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 25 Apr 2006, 00:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Consider a Necron lord w/ Ressurection Orb and other stuff. He'll save plenty pointwise of his own units, and he can also hurt the enemy! Amazing support unit.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Apr 2006, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Chaos lords are the most devastating hq in the game to other hq's they can even beat down de for gods sake.

But I love assulting from 34'' this is only achievable by 2 armies chaos and tyranids

12'' transport move +2'' disembark +2'' base size +d6'' fleet +12'' assault

Now for Dark eldar this is wicked cheap You can toss a well equiped archon or archite 29-34'' for under 200 pts.

But for chaos to do it a landraider is required. Which actually isnt all that bad seeing as you now have a landraider droping the enemy's tanks. 2xtwin las as bs4 and yay your getting hit twice at str 9.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Closed Thread