Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Multiple Armies
Closed Thread
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:19   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Multiple Armies

I have a question for those with two or more armies, which method do you use to select an army for a certain bout?
  • 1. Roll a dice and randomly select one
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
  • 2. Pick one your using for the day/week/month and use it all month and not switch
  • 3. Find out what your opponent's playing and select the best to beat it
  • 4. Find out what your opponent's playing and select the best army to go against it for a fun game
  • 5. Find out what your opponent's playing and select the worst army to go against it
  • 6. Find out what your opponent's playing and select an army that can face it and be fluffy (DE verse Eldar, Witch Hunters verse LatD etc)

Be honest, otherwise the only person your cheating is yourself. I personally do 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Multiple Armies

I do mainly 3 and 4, but usually I just use what I feel like playing, and what appeals to me atm (at the moment).

Ben

Edit by FT: We don't mind the occational text speak online, although just don't have it cropping up in every post you do
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

6 and 4

Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
2. Pick one your using for the day/week/month and use it all month and not switch
4. Find out what your opponent's playing and select the best army to go against it for a fun game
6. Find out what your opponent's playing and select an army that can face it and be fluffy (DE verse Eldar, Witch Hunters verse LatD etc)
II ~ Sometimes, if I'm working on a particular army or have created a new HQ unit (which I do often), then I will want to play that army for gratification. Whenever I play opponents on a regular basis, I like to use a certain character that I basically made just for them (the model) as to make it more fun--they remember that one model. And it gives me a project to do usually. So if it's current on my table; it will be current when a game comes a long.

IV ~ Fighting Grey Knights up against a mechanized Ork list is just not fun, for example. So I tend to at least try to find out which army not to bring as a worse case scenario. The idea is simply to know whether or not to bring your goofy fun theme army, or if you should bring a more serious list with a bit more of a match in mind, and not just a beer & chip game, where we role dice and talk more about other things, between laughing moments in the game. So long as we're both, or all of us, playing with an army designed to work at the same level, then it's all good.

VI ~ If it's a cinematic battle report type game, where we want to have fun, but we also want it to read back like a nice story or battle report, then it's more fun to have a fluffy match up. So no two armies that are the same are fighting each other (no Tau vs. Tau for example). Lost and the Damned and Radical Hunters typically show up at these games, for the "big show down" kind of thing. It's more fun having the loyalists attempting to stop the scum & traitor hordes from over taking colonies, or having the Radicals hunted by the loyalists while guarding an artifact of chaos, etc. Games with a purpose can be really rewarding when you look at it from that perspective.

Cheers!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I tend to use whichever for whom I have a new list to try - against two Marine armies, I took my Death Guard because I'd never seen how they fare, and my Eldar don't have the high volume of AP weapons you tend to see, so I didn't feel like having to deal with 2 fronts of power armour with one Starcannon.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I try to be as random as possible. my usual opponents and I usually just pick a points value to play and then ten minutes before we play I pick which ever army I feel like at the time and write it up as quick as possible.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Its hard for me to really say. Sometimes I just get out an army because I havent used it in a long time. If one army is on a hot streak I will often run with them for a while. Sometimes I just use the army that's already packed up!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Hmm, not having had two armies finished at the same time makes it hard for me to answer honestly. I after all, just play with the complete one.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its usualy a pick of what ever I feel like.

ie- If I feel like being mean, I'll play armored company
If I feel like winning, I pick tau.
If I feel like CC I pick my pure GK force.
ect.

But there are some limits, like my friend's overly powergaming Chaos force, I just wount play an IG agaisnt it.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 04:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have note cards with various army lists on them. When a game comes up I look through them for a list that looks good at the point value I am playing. Have the time I narrow it done to about two or so from each major army group then do random. With DE, SMurfs, Tyranids, Chaos, and LatD it can lead to some rather varied matches.