Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Student VS mentor
Closed Thread
Old 22 Apr 2006, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Student VS mentor

When i got into 40K the person who taught me everything i need to know about the game was my best friend. Hes been playing the game for a good decade now and really offered good advice. As a determined rookie, i was playing against his army almost every game i played. i was never really able to beat him consistently, if at all. I played like this for a good year, loosing more often than not.

Pretty soon there were constant rules arguments and other such "disruptions". After all was said and done, ive just realized that playing against my mentor just isnt fun anymore. Whenever i play against anyone else though everything works out great. Both my opponent and i have great games, theres hardly any arguing and, win or lose, we both go home happy. the only times i ever get really argumentitive is when i play the person who taught me.

So, my question is, does anyone else share the experience that i have? The one who got you into warhammer is the one that is particularly hard to play against?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 22:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Student VS mentor

yea, my friend Alex got me into it. Hes one of those people who has about half a troop of every army possible. A great painter, (he taught me, thus my mentor), he is incredibly annoying to play against. He has no clue how to play, and when he does he has to proxy the majority of his army!!
>

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

One of the people I taught to play ended up being ridiculously overcompetitive and I rarely am even willing to play him anymore. When I do, I usually regret it

So its sorta a reverse situation with me
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 23:40   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Hmm... the person who got me into 40k was actually the easiest of my friends to beat. Now he doesn't even play anymore...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I taught myself how to play actually. Just from reading the BBoR, talking to people on here, then playing anyone with an army. I haven't really lost much, my only real losses have come from playing SoB. I gotta say though, that army is alot of fun to play.

I suppose TO is my mentor Reading articles on here is how I learned to play very, very quickly.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

I was the mentor of Mace (That's right! I'm like the mentor of one of your first and foremost members! woot! I feel special....not really)

I've only versed him four times properly though amazingly enough after like....2 years.

First time which i decided to have a 1000pt cleanse to teach him the basics of the game and as a warm up for a battle report. He lost.

Second time for the actual battle report he learnt fast and I had to fight hard to get a draw.

Third game I won.

Fourth game we were using escalation rules and none of my units showed up so he won.

But no I don't find games against him annoying, and now he's pretty much my equal gaming wise. I have more experience but he also knows the 4th ed rules better (I haven't played much 4th ed) and he reads more tacticas and stuff.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 23 Apr 2006, 01:55   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
One of the people I taught to play ended up being ridiculously overcompetitive and I rarely am even willing to play him anymore. When I do, I usually regret it

Same with me. LordAbsol and my brother are both a lot less experienced and tend to lose against me more often then not. But I gotta give them credit, they are trying. In fact there was a period in Absol's gaming life where he wouldn't take my advice and go against it, even though my advice would of probably ended in a win for him.

One particular battle stood out from the crowd in that period. He had a small squad of scouts with sniper rifles and I had bought my Wraithlord when I still had my Eldar as a my main army. It rolled around to his turn and his scouts were within 12" of my Wraithlord. He was still learning the ropes and so in my usual fashion at the time, I gave him a set of options for each of his units and some sound advice along with it. I said that his scouts could move and then charge my wraithlord, or they could stand and fire at it and possibly kill it (I only had 1 wound from sniper rifle attrition).

Then I told him what I'd do, stand and shoot of course, being scouts with sniper rifles, they could wound it from afar but if he charged he'd more or less lost his chance to kill the Wraithlord. What did he do, move and charged. He soon saw the logic of my arguments though and although he doesn't ask for advice, he tends to listen to what I have to say about a particular situation. .
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am a student to my best friend. Great guy, but I hardly play him anymore. He claims that I am afraid of him, but really, hes a rule lawyer, power gamer, and carries the name "dictionary man" for his ability to define words in the rulebook for his advantage. This makes him no fun to play, he laughs when he kills your guys and says you got lucky when you kill his. He blames his dice for his failed saves and to hit rolls. Once again great guy, no fun to play against. I have about 5 "Students" right now of my own. Majority have moved out of my teaching and are on their own. I have a friend who plays tau and really plays his card right every time he plays anyone. He has annihilated me on numerous occasions. My other "students" have impressed me with thier rapid growth into the game and I beleive when we play we have a over all good time.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I understand such a problem but dont have it myself. There were only a couple of people who still played when I actually started and neither of them was very good. One was genuinly inexperienced while the other was all talk and no results. Thus I had to learn on my own by reading the rules carefully and playing as many games as I could learning from my mistakes. After months and numerous victories and aditions to my army my brother started playing Eldar and I tought him how to play. Hes alright now but games against him are always full of arguments and we only really do it now a days to test out new units and tactics.

Old 23 Apr 2006, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead

Same here except with me I have not been faced by my students yet.
Closed Thread