Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Using House rule special charcters?
Closed Thread
Old 19 Apr 2006, 14:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Using House rule special charcters?

Do you firstly allow special characters? Do you allow house made special characters? I want opinions people!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Using House rule special charcters?

Quote:
Do you firstly allow special characters?
My and my friends soemtimes play with special characters, be we usually don't. One reason for this, is they're often times unbalanced, and cost to much or too little pts. Another is most tournies don't allow special characters, so we don't either.

Sometimes though we'll play with them, for fun, but we usually don't.

Quote:
Do you allow house made special characters?
Hmm, no. Sometimes, but usually not. For several reasons: (1) Often time's they are incredibly cheesy, and why too powerful for their pt cost. (2) Tournies don't allow them.

Sometimes we will, for fluff reasons, but usually we don't play with made up special characters.

Ben
Old 19 Apr 2006, 16:20   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Home made rules depend largely on how good they are. A lot of the stuff I see made are a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 19 Apr 2006, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The trick is with house rule special characters is to base them around the fluff and ground them in their native codex. All my Lords are house rule special characters, although they have nothing special about them besides how they look and the fluff they have.

For example, I have Lord Arnell (my Khorne Lord) modelled currently in both Terminator armour and in power armour, which represents him in different stages of his daemonic career so to speak. The power armoured Lord is actually a Dark Angels model (painted just like a pre-Heresy Dark Angels marine. The only thing that makes him chaosy is that he is armed with an axe of Khorne. Thats one example of my house rule special characters which don't require opponents consent to play with since they are fielded using proper army lists and rules.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Sometimes, I'll be tempted to use Aun'shi. I'll just pull out my old codex, point, and say please.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 20 Apr 2006, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I dont usually have a problem with special characters but I do find them unbalanced. Instead I prefere commanders and officers that are like Tyross' Lord Arnel that are just simply a commander but with fluff and cool modeling.

For instance my commander Shas'O Ximoro'An has a long record of killing the enemies commander and other respectable kills in his career and also has not only never been killed but has only been wounded once and that was in a close combat which he won against a death cult assasine. Thus I decided his old model wasnt good enough at representing his character. So I bought a commander box and an emperors champion and now his new model has a new commander head, all his old gear and he is standing over a broken and defeated space marine champion. Still a Shas'O with no home made or special rules but his character comes from his past record that he brings with him.

Old 20 Apr 2006, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Over the years, about half of all the 'house rules' I've seen have been unbalanced, almost always towards the overpowered end. The rest were either minor tweaks or just well thought-out. When it comes to using them, I judge them on each individual case.

Generally speaking, I find the less ambitious and overarching the house-rule, the better chances of it being balanced well... Really wide impacting house-rules should really only be done when you know the game inside out, and it's always good to get the input of as many other players as you can.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 20 Apr 2006, 23:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Special charaters are cool on paper, but they aren't worth the 200 +/- points to me.

I do though have my own. I make them so i would never have to ask permission (always legal) this means I have Fluff, Modeling, and 'count as' to make him special. I really have fun making them.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 06:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In my armies I always model special characters; like my Ueber-awesome female commander that I use. But for the most part I don't use any special rules. Occasionally I will use them when my friends and I are doing our own story based campign.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:44   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Me and my mates, generally create special characters from how a guy does in battle. One of my tau fire warrior squad leaders kicked ass in close combat vs howling banshees, ran away then rallied to shoot the unit. After that game we created Vim'To, for +25 points he may lead a squad (instead of the normal +10 for a shas'ui). He gets The Shall know no fear, May choose to route from close combat, +1 WS and +1 LD. I havent played him in a while but he isn't game changing.

Characters are meant to be much more low key in 40k nowadays so I'd be a bit more sceptical of realy powerful ones.
Closed Thread