Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New model making process. Will it work?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Apr 2006, 02:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New model making process. Will it work?

In WD 315 (US), we read that model making is now as simple as a click of a button. Specificaly, a sculptor simple create a model using a 3D AUTOCAD program and use a 3D printer or Hyrojet drill to create a model. My question is: Would we get a wave of sub-par models from lazy unadept "sculptors" or would we get a good wave of models and a decrease of price? Discuss.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 02:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New model making process. Will it work?

decent models, but price hikes are my bet
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 17 Apr 2006, 02:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i say the opposite. decent models with low prices, the machines should save man labour and therefor money. Or games workshop could be asses and make up what they bought the equiptment for by increasing prices.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 17 Apr 2006, 04:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

We already have models with the new process. All the Black Templar sprues were done with it. So far as I have seen there has been no drop in quality.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 04:12   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hard to say really at this point, as the increased costs of the equipment they have bought will pay a major role in their future developement plans, they will reduce costs in the long run, although I doubt they'll lower their prices since they know we'll pay them, even at their current high levels. But to say that their not going to increase them in the future would be in error as well since knowing their track record, their price increases will continue for the foreseeable future .
Old 17 Apr 2006, 05:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

The new Eldar weapons platform looks nice too...

Old 17 Apr 2006, 05:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

No no.. what happens is they make a model normally, scan it, then make changes, tweaks, and fixes to it digitally. Kinda like 'photoshopping'. The end result - higher and sharper detail on the models, in otherwords, better overall quality. Then I believe it gets digitally processed and split up, and the sprue moulds are made robotically - rather than by hand (see the WD when Tau were released - it showed a guy manually making the moulds for the Devilfish model) - meaning speedier and more accurate production of moulds - contributing to model quality AND speed of production - so higher production rates. In the long run - this would probably mean reduced prices, or at least reduced inflation in prices..

Some of the new Tau models are actually made using this process - more specifically the Piranha, 'scanned' from the Forgeworld model then tweaked. Compared to older plastics, it's fairly detailed and the lines and edges are really sharp, rather than 'rounded'. The new, soon to be released Tau plastics like the Skyray and XV25s should also be a product of this new process. Pretty good if you ask me..

Regarding the article in WD - Oz 316 April - there was a slight hint.. (in reference to the new system) "it has allowed us to think about making some really large plastic kits, maybe a super heavyeven bigger than the Giant or the Mumakl a siege tower for Warhammer, perhaps, or maybe a super-heavy tank for Warhammer 40,000?". Plastic Baneblade anyone?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 06:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Manta Missile Destroyer?

Reaver Titans?

"If you make rules for them... they will buy them!"

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 17 Apr 2006, 12:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

"If you make it, nerds will come!" Hurrah!

I think, in the long run, the price may in fact go down, especially after the LOTR bubble ends. They might decrease the price. Might.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thats a bl***y big might...
Closed Thread