Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about AP, just got my main rulebook
Closed Thread
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question about AP, just got my main rulebook

Just got my BBB after 3.5 weeks of waiting for a delivery from an Ebay store... w00t!

Anyway, I've been playing WFB for awhile, and something seems wrong with the AP rules. How is it that AP3 weapons, for example, can completely bypass 3+ armor but do nothing to 2+ armor?

...Am I misreading the AP rules or not?
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Question about AP, just got my main rulebook

You got it exactly, its a weapon that will pass straight through 3+ but on 2+ will do nothing special. It is a fairly odd system but that is the way it was written.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes. That is how it is... Back in 2nd edition there was a system of "save modifiers", where instead of negating a save outright, a weapon would impove a negative modifier on it, making it more difficult, or impossible to save. I much preferred the old system myself.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 16 Apr 2006, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Save modifiers are awesome. A terminator armored unit taking fire from pulse rifles? Take a -1 modifier! Hiding behind an ferrocrete wall, you lazy guardsman? Have a 2+ save! Oh wait, a lascannon is aimed at you! Take a 4+ save!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 16 Apr 2006, 09:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

...except that there were no cover saves then, just to-hit modifers.

That and the fact that a pulse rifle would probably have been a -2 save mod. Still, 5+ on 2D6? I'll take those odds...

I did the maths a little while ago, and under the current rules Terminators work out marginally worse against small arms, but about as well against lascannons.

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 16 Apr 2006, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the only reason that they got rid of the modifiers to saves was so they could simplify the game. I remember having to take a calculator with me to speed up the game play, otherwise it would take at least an hour longer than normal. at least you would have to if you were playing with different guns mixed into your army. if you played a space wolves army, what was it six terminators all armed with assault cannons in a 2000 pt army. wow look first turn I win.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 16:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

ya see its like lets say the gun is only powerful enough to pass through 3 + armour saves. Now i find it easier sometimes if you draw out the numbers to the extremes, moving the numbers farther away to make it easier to understand. so with that lets say you fire at something with a 5+ save. Now this armour is light armour, and can only supply a weak 5+ save. now if you fire the gun at it, it will peirce through 3+, 4+, 5+ and 6+ armours, because it is powerful enough to go straight through the weak armour. Now, if you had a really strong armor that was a 2+, the metal or whatever would be so thick, strong, and solid that the weapon with an ap of three could not peirce it, because it is not st rong enough.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 16 Apr 2006, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
ya see its like lets say the gun is only powerful enough to pass through 3 + armour saves. Now i find it easier sometimes if you draw out the numbers to the extremes, moving the numbers farther away to make it easier to understand. so with that lets say you fire at something with a 5+ save. Now this armour is light armour, and can only supply a weak 5+ save. now if you fire the gun at it, it will peirce through 3+, 4+, 5+ and 6+ armours, because it is powerful enough to go straight through the weak armour. Now, if you had a really strong armor that was a 2+, the metal or whatever would be so thick, strong, and solid that the weapon with an ap of three could not peirce it, because it is not st rong enough.
.... um..... yeah... ...what he said!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 16 Apr 2006, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to LordAbsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yon Penguin
Just got my BBB after 3.5 weeks of waiting for a delivery from an EBay store... w00t!

Anyway, I've been playing WFB for awhile, and something seems wrong with the AP rules. How is it that AP3 weapons, for example, can completely bypass 3+ armor but do nothing to 2+ armor?

...Am I misreading the AP rules or not?

That is pretty much how it works.
Here is a second e.g.......firing an AP4 weapon at model with a 3+ armour save, would have the same result.
[/td]
[td]
Vote for Tau Online[br]Before me grasp does drain thy life, I pray thee, Beg of thy God for their forgivness, for only then will me grasp upon you siece. [br]
Can you see this this!!!!! WORD
[/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Closed Thread