Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle For Macragge Rulebook
Closed Thread
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Battle For Macragge Rulebook

My friend tells me that even if I get the "condensed" rulebook that comes with Macragge, I still need a copy of the BGB. This does not make any sense to me, as the "condensed" rulebook includes all the important "meat" of the BGB, without all the fluff and tidbits.

So, do I really need the BGB if I have the Macragge book?
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Battle For Macragge Rulebook

No you will not need the BGB .

The Macragge book has all the rules . Your only missing rules for Kill Team and 40K in 40 minutes (I think that's in there) , extra pictures and some fluff.

What does he think is missing ?

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Hell 90% of the players i know don't own either of them... We just memorise rules... the other 10% bring the BGB or macragge one along for reference.

But i beleive the macragge book should pass.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint
No you will not need the BGB .

The Macragge book has all the rules . Your only missing rules for Kill Team and 40K in 40 minutes (I think that's in there) , extra pictures and some fluff.

What does he think is missing ?
I have no idea, at lunch this week I told him I was buying Macragge for the Rulebook and the Marines, and asked him if he wanted the Tyranids. He then said, "Your going to need the big rulebook too!"

Whatever. I knew I didn't need it, I was just making sure before I spend $45 on it.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 12:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

You don't "need" it, but it's nice to have. Its got some extra fluff (real basic stuff, on how the Imperium works and about Terra, and a few other things on chaos and the warp). My favorite part is Kill-Team rules, and the extra scenarios, like combat patrol rules and extra scenario rules. It also has some campaign guidelines, which help fo someone like me trying to make a campaign. But all the rules and basic scenarios are in the maccrage rulebook, so you can just use that.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 15 Apr 2006, 12:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

how handy is the little book by the way? it's easier to carry, has everything you need in game terms, and isn't so big you could beat a whale to death with ;D
Old 15 Apr 2006, 13:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I bought the battle for macragge and traded off everything but the marines and the rulebook, and it works perfectly for what me and my friends need. we never play less than 1500 points (we have so many units that we like that we want to field as much as possible) so the only thing we're really missing by not having the big book is the fluff. now having said that, I will be getting it later on, I'm just not in a hurry right now.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For day to day play you certainly don't need the BBB. On the other hand, some events do require you to have a copy - the upcoming Medusa V event next month requires the players to have one - in this case for the unit experience rules.

By and large, though, you don't need one. I like the bigger edition, but it's a personal thing.

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 15 Apr 2006, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

The BFM book is good for day to day gaming for the most part. Only problem I have with it for long term use is that it doesn't even have the heavy card stock you get on paperbacks for the cover. It's going to wear down after use and break down. Twenty years form now a mint condtion copy is going to go to collectors for the thousands of dollars probably.

Still, if your going to be gaming for the long run, your probably at some point going to need to pick up the bigger book. Your either going to want the extra bits for campeigns or kill team or your BFM copy is just going to wear out.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 21:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
The BFM book is good for day to day gaming for the most part. Only problem I have with it for long term use is that it doesn't even have the heavy card stock you get on paperbacks for the cover. It's going to wear down after use and break down. .
Lol. Mine is missing the cover, and 7 pages or so of the back, and the back cover. Good think I got a large book!

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread