Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Fear of God and your opponent
Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 10:31   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default The Fear of God and your opponent

Have you ever had it when you've got a good unit, seems to do exordinarly well and then next battle with that opponent, they try to get that unit or character off the table asap?

My example, my Khorne Lord Arnell in Terminator armour. My particular Khorne Lord strikes fear in my regular opponents, especially when they hear that I might deploy the dreaded Arnell on the table.

Anyways, last battle, my brother (another Chaos player) was so determined to give Arnell's skull to Khorne's throne that he sent a tooled up Chosen (daemonic strength, aura and power weapon filled squad), a defiler and a Dreadnought into the combat with some berserkers of mine. And my Lord so happened to be near the combat (and being Khorne was forced to move towards the nearest enemy unit, being the Chosen unit).

Arnell comes toddling in as he does (or should I say charging in like a run away steam roller), slaughters the greater part of the Chosen unit with his attacks alone (having 10 of them does tend to do that sometimes ) and he spends the next two turns dodging Dreadnought CCWs. Eventually he does fail his invul save and gets squished... Needless to say, it took about 450+ points to get rid of about 200 points...

Please tell us your unit and what you enemy has thrown at them to get it off the table and whether they were successful or not .
Old 12 Apr 2006, 10:57   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The Fear of God and your opponent

The best example I can think of is when I was trying to get KJ's unit off the table, as opposed to the other way round. ;D
He had a Brutal Ork Warboss, with a large squad of Ork Nobz wielding Power Claws, in a Battle Wagon. :-X
Luckily I managed to destroy his Battle Wagon (I think it was a Pulse-Laser shot from a Falcon that did it in the end), and so forced his squad to foot-slog up the centre of the battlefield.

Not wanting them to reach my 50-or-so Guardians and demolish my front line I sent out the following to meet them in combat:
  • An Avatar (with one wound left)
  • A Wraithlord
  • A tooled-up Seer Council (with four Warlocks)
  • A Guardian Storm-Squad (accompanied by a Warlock)

Only one of the Farseers and the Wraithlord survived from what I can rememeber.
His Command Squad died though. ^-^
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

In my Dark Eldar, it is my Archon and is 6 man incubi retinue that gets the most thrown at it combatwise. Last match agaisnt necrons it was 4 destroyers, 20 warriors, 5 flayed ones and the lord that he tossed in to get rid of them, only to find that it all came to nothing when i destroyed everything and phased him out :P

The most that has ever been throw at me I think was 1 souped up flying hive tryants, a unit of souped up 'stealers with a brood lord, 1 carnifex with all the attacking goodiness, and a unit of 11 hormagaunts, oh and 2 spinegaunts(I had charged the spine gaunts and utterly annihalated 18 of them, only to find that the unit were staying in combat via synapse goodiness) my incubi quickly fell, but they took the hormagaunts and some genestealers with them thankfully, but my lord kept on fighting(destroying the carnifex in his tradmark way) his 2+ invulnerable was all that kept him there , and in my turn i was able to throw in a talos and 2 squads of wyches to save him.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

The only unit in my army to really make my opponents worry other than my famous Patrol teams is Marbo.

He is the best pshycological weapon a catachan player has... Place him in ambush, jump out, let off a demo charge (absolutly obliterating a decent portion of anything) and jump back into the forests!!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:22   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

No point hunting him down after he's used it though.
Although revenge could be a motive...
Old 12 Apr 2006, 12:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Everyone hates my dreadnought. I dont understand why! It barely ever does much, but usually ends the game standing around with no weapons and immobile. It has been officially named "Old Gill" after the hard-luck character from the simpsons
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 12 Apr 2006, 16:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

only once, i brought my newly finished baneblade to its first battle. i deploy a few guys, some heavy weapons, my opponent sits there waiting. i look at the guardsmen, say "thats about it. oh wait i forgot" then i pull her out of the box and place her squarly in the middle of my army. my oponent just blinks and says "oh F...", for the first 4 turns every unit bar his command squadfired at it. after that there was nothing left that could hurt it.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 16:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Hammerheads always draw attention but anyone that has ever seen my commander, my Shas'O in action hates his guts and wants him to die. This was the stance of Daemonhunter player I used to fight quite often. Throughout the game he desperately tried to kill my Shas'O with:

Vindicare assasine-hunted down by my Irregulars and shot firing line style.
Death Cult assasine-caught my Shas'O in close combat but he stomped her after taking a couple of slashes.
Grey Knight Grand Master-Tried to get into cc before my Shas'O finished off the assasine and ran for it but didnt get there in time. I later shot him with a Railgun solid slug.

At another point in time the same player sent this at my Shas'O:

5 man Grey Knight Terminator squad
Grey Knight Grand Master
10 man inquisitorial storm trooper unit with 2 meltas
Rhino with a hunter killer missil

Most of which was blown up in a round of shooting or two and I think my Shas'O ended up killing the Grand Master personally... for probably the third time in my history of battling this player.

However as for my Hammerheads my oldest one once took in the same game fire from the following units (note all were stationary):

Landraider
Devastator squad with 2 lascannons and 2 rocket launchers
Tactical squad with rocket launcher

4 lascannons, 2 twin linked and 5 rocket launchers all shooting at the same tank every turn and by the end of the game the ol Railhead was still intact.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 16:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The legendary "Lucky Obie". One of my obliterator models has an alarming habit of shrugging off pretty much anything thrown at him. I've seen it take something like 6 railguns to bring him down!

Now one particular player will sometimes make it his mission to kill that ONE model!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 12 Apr 2006, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

My lone Broadside always seems to draw a crapload of fire from everywhere. It's so bad that out of 5 games I've used it in, it's only ever fired 3 or four times.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Closed Thread