Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

happy happy pie-plates
Closed Thread
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02
Default happy happy pie-plates

How many people thes days play, dare I say it, without ordanance! It seems that, with the exeption of eldar/dark eldar players, every army you see has ordanance in it. I played a game with my Nurgle force the other week and neither my opponent nor myself used any ordanance and it turned out to be one of the most fun games I have had in a long time. Has everyone gotten addicted to being able to take out whole squads with one shot rather than watching lines of infantry maneuvre around each other to gain cover, take objectives etc. And is ordanance one of the reasons that most games have become very 'line up and shoot' affairs?

Just a bit of a half hearted rant for you all to consider there

Thought for the day: We have the objective! *whistle...BOOM*
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: happy happy pie-plates

I find that my ordnance is a very "hit or miss" affair. Some games my big guns cant hit the broadside of a darn from the inside! Other games, they are unstoppable killing machines of death. I finally got a chance to turn a demolisher shell loose on a deep striking terminator unit the other day! Man that was good!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't find Ordnance all that common. Most Marine armies I face use Preds rather than Whirlwinds or Vindicators. I rarely see Defilers. IG always have ordnance, but that's to be expected. Tau usually have a Hammerhead or two (or three...). Overall I don't find ordnance to be a constant companion in games. My Dark Eldar certainly don't use it - though my Orks do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I finally got a chance to turn a demolisher shell loose on a deep striking terminator unit the other day! Man that was good!
I know that feeling - I use a Looted LR Demolisher with my Orks. Great for mushing Marines.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

i really don't like playing ordanance, maby a whirlwind or 2 a once in a while, my guard army doesn't even have ordanance in it .
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
Old 06 Apr 2006, 00:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No ordnance in guard?! Are you all-infantry then?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 06 Apr 2006, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

I haven't played much with ordinance yet, but ohh, those Scouts wil pay when I have my railhead built!

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 06 Apr 2006, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Last time I played with some Sisters of Battle against Chaos marines with a Defiler and managed to blow it to heck in the first turn. No, I wouldn't say ordinance is a real "problem" in WH40K.

Now Mechwarrior....that's ENTIRELY different. COMPLETELY ruins the game. Totally and undeniably. Worst idea EV4R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 06 Apr 2006, 05:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I do not play with Ordnance (except for the occasional orbital strike.. but that doesn't count really).

Ordnance is weak in 4th edition. Sure, it's powerful in some eyes and it's powerful on the board against someone who just packs their models together and stands out in the open. But it's no more powerful than other weapons for example.

-- If your opponent spreads out his models near the 2 inch coherency line, depending on how big the unit is and what shape formation they have, and cover if present, they ordnance may only get 2 or 3 hits at the most and may be saved against if in cover. And that's including partials. Our template just isn't that big. A line of 6 marines taking full 2 inch coherency will have 2 marines hit on average .... that's, not good. And since they can remove any models from the unit, not just those under the plate, then you're not sniping anything out any time fast. Is that a great weapon? Not really.

-- Ordnance hits all the time! Again, it doesn't hit as often as we like. Sure, you're going to hit something probably, but a single inch is a big deal. A single inch can drop you out of 3 partials and into so few hits that you're no better than using a nother gun. And if you're using indirect fire ordnance, its even worse due to minimum ranges, which are very easy to avoid and render the firing useless.

Now, that's not to say that everyone should throw away their ordnance tanks. It's just to say, that Ordnance is really an old mechanic that is still around and is still used, but simply doesn't hold its "magic" that it used to have. Ordnance used to be a really scary thing to behold. Now, it's just a few 4+ partials away from a missile launcher team.

Anyhow - I'd rather throw a few heavy bolters at a unit rather than a big template if they have less than a 3+ save. And if they have a 3+ save and I need to beat it right away, I'd rather throw missiles or lances or plasma at it instead as well. I can get more reliable and harder hitting shots than ordnance when you really look at the actual damage you cause with it per game (subject to opponent's silliness of tightly packing 10 models together... which I don't consider part of the gun's abilities...).

In the end - I'm a dakka head. I like to throw dice, lots of them. I don't like throwing 6 dice total per shooting phase, most of that being scatter dice. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that for those who like totally devastating one-hits and all. I'm tickled pink when an orbital strike kills anything for example, but I just love rolling heavy bolters and autocannon dice... oh the joy!

Cheers!
Old 06 Apr 2006, 06:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

in my dark angels army I will use a vindicator, in fact its the only tank I will use in less than 2000 pts. and on top of that I'll only ever use one.

in my deathwing, well lets just say that they don't really get ordnance now do they?

and in my tau, the only thing I use that uses a pie plate is my hammerhead, but truthfully that rarely if ever gets used. most of the time I use the single shot to try to take out tanks or instant kill whatever I'm aiming at. not to mention that its technically not a ordnance, it just uses the big pie plate.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 08:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

MY MADUSA!

The same str and ap as the dreaded demolisher cannon, but with a range of 36!

The thing about WH, is ordnace is realy cool, but the tanks are stupidly easy to blow up, while a broad side is nearly indistructable.
Closed Thread