Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to start a gaming club in School?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Mar 2006, 18:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How to start a gaming club in School?

Hi. In my town there is no gaming club. I have seen people in the shop that sells warhammer stuff, i once saw one person buying a box of Dryads. It is good to buy from but i think that there needs to be a gaming club. I am thinking of starting one in my school because there are other people who play warhammer. Any advice on how to start one?

Thanks for any advice.

Besides, I'm a fellow nerd, I can tell these things :P Actually, I think the only nerds on this site that are more attractive than me are Novae and Yriel. Because Yriel has a kick-D'yi moustache, and a hot fiancee. While Novae just had the most awesome beard ever :P

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Re: How to start a gaming club in School?

First of all, check for interest. Assuming you're going to be playing at the school, you'll want a quiet room that can accomidate your board, preferably with locker access where you can keep your models during the day. Having a teacher onboard for this is a big help.

You'll probably want to get establish a raport with the local vendor. If you tell him that you're starting a school GW club, he may offer you as discount as a "hosted" group.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 18:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

[size=14pt]Gaming Clubs :: Getting Started?[/size]

Starting up a gaming club is a great idea in most cases. You’re not looking to start a store, but you’re looking to get a group of people who can come together, have some fun, play some games, and just get along. It’s a great way to add a social event to some peoples’ lives and give them a solid group to just “be with.” It’s always good to be a part of something after all.

So let’s look at some general advice for starting one up!

[hr]

:: Organization ::

Before you start up a club, it’s probably a good idea to make an organization of it. For example, are you planning on just having your friends and their friends join up and just sort of play games, or do you plan on being able to host events. If so, you’re going to need to have someone who can take care of things like this reliably.

Obviously, you’ll want someone, or better yet, a group of people to really take lead of it all. This person will need to be reliable and able for generating the place of the meetings, the materials you will have access to, the time you will have allotted and if required, supervision and even transportation possibly.

Having more than one person for this, will help a lot since not everyone is always available.

It’s also important, because if there are questions or if there are problems, these people are the ones who are going to have to deal with it, or solve it. In the end, the prosperity of the group will shine through good organization from the ground up, so sitting down and working it out will be a great way to begin.

What you should be looking to organize before you get the club together may include:

Meeting Establishment – You’re going to need a place to game right? You’ll need a place with several tables, and easy access for everyone. You will not want to pick an obscure place that only a few people can reliably get to. If this is located in your school, you will do well to speak with someone who works for the school and helps to organize clubs in the first place. Outside of school, you will again, need to find some place that will give you what you need, free or not, even if it involves someone’s home or community establishment that allows groups.

Materials – You’ll need to secure tables, and find ways to have enough for several games to be played upon. This includes having terrain, plenty of resources in terms of your gaming supplies, dice, books, etc. You can get together with the group to make this part, so it can come later after you have an establishment (or two) worked out.

Dates & Time – You’ll need to work out which dates are going to be the most common in terms of availability for most people and have a time that everyone can fit into their schedule. It may be a good idea to split this up, so that it can be at multiple times on multiple days perhaps. Or if possible, as regular as everyone possibly can! It’s all up to the group here mainly, so you’ll need to get a good idea from them, after you’ve gotten a good group of names of people who are interested to do this with you.

[hr]

:: Getting Members / Spreading Awareness ::

This part is going to be the harder part most likely, because sometimes, there are plenty of people out there who would love to join in on your games, but who simply don’t know about it. So you’ll need to scheme up with some others perhaps, unless you do this yourself, and find ways to get some access to letting people know. Let’s look at some examples of how you can do this:

School / Store Flyer – Talk to the folks in your journalism department. If you’ve already worked it out with the school or establishment, then try to get it out to the people via this as many people will be receiving it already anyways. Otherwise, get a flyer to your local shops to post up. Generally, shops like this stuff because it means they’re probably going to make some sales off you guys.

Local Paper – Put an add in the paper! This can cost some money, but you’d be surprised how many people will see it through indirect means. People read, people talk, and people ask questions. Sometimes, those who join up found out because someone else noticed and mentioned it to them.

Mailing Lists – Go to your local shops that sell the games you’re trying to make a club for. Put up flyers and leave space for people to leave their emails, phone numbers or mailing addresses. Maybe a little box that they can drop papers into perhaps. Let it sit for a while, a couple of weeks perhaps. Friends will tell other friends. Then you’ll get more and more names. Then you can form a mailing list to see who all is truly interested and also to get more information to them, as well as being able to let people know if there are changes, cancellations or new events that weren’t regularly planned.

Screamers – If all else fails, go to events, or rooms, or anything and just shout out that there’s a gaming club starting up. Who knows, maybe you’ll snag a few interests!

[hr]

:: Maintaining the Club ::

In short, all groups need money sometimes. One thing you’ll need to work out, after you get a good number of people who are definitely interested, is to possibly consider if you are going to have any kind of financial burden from time to time. Depending on where you are going to have the club meet and play the games, you may need to buy that time. You many need to rent things. You may need pooled money to help afford all the materials which will be necessary. So you will need to form a plan for that. And it doesn’t have to cost much at all!

Simple Dues – Lots of clubs are totally free. But sometimes, you need a little cash to get certain things done. Even if it just means getting refreshments for people. After you get a sizeable amount of people, consider what a single small amount of money will do, when people show up to an event, if they donate 50 cent or even a dollar. You can mass up a small chunk of cash every time you guys meet. And that money can go towards the club. You could be buying the terrain needed for tables, or even pool up the cash for a rulebook! Whatever your club needs, more people make it easier to buy.

Available Supplies / Additions – You may need to continually replace things, or help your club grow. So make sure you can get your hands on the money or resources in the form of help from others, in order to keep up the equipment and establishment you are using. And of course, you may need to keep finding new people!

[hr]

Anyhow, you get the idea I think. So start talking to the people at your school, ask teachers, ask councilors, anyone and get into contact with the people who will be able to help you set this up with the least cost required.

Get some contacts, get the materials sorted and secured and start getting people who are interested and the rest should fall into place naturally as people meet on a regular basis.

Happy gaming and best of luck to you guys!

Cheers!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just make a website. Everyone likes having a website. Nevermind the fact they won't actually visit it. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
Just make a website. Everyone likes having a website. Nevermind the fact they won't actually visit it. :

It's actually a good idea

Easy boards are free and everyone can access it to quickly get information around who are part of the club.
I would say that's something worth doing--it just needs the people there already.

Cheers!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

If you were at my school I'd also watch out for rocks being thrown at me...most kids at my scool dont take a liking to my 40k hobby...

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
If you were at my school I'd also watch out for rocks being thrown at me...most kids at my scool dont take a liking to my 40k hobby...
I know how you feel...

I have a school club; Although, we mostly meet out of school. I would try to meet outside a school though. I get freaked out taking at least 350+ dollars to a place full of idiots.......

Still, school can be cool to meet in, and you will most likely get alot of newbies wanting to play/start an army.

Good luck with your club!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Be very careful about how to secure models etc, someone tried to set up a club at our school. It didn't work, nobody was willing to risk taking in a case of minis and having it stolen, being laughed at, bulled, etc. Get a teacher if you can and I would advise meeting after school to avoid the idiots that will try to come in and nick stuff and intimidate people. Good Luck!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Maugan_Ra

We have a gaming club at our skool. It was set up through one of the teachers we have so always check whether a teacher is into 40k/fantasy/lotr and suggest it to them. Our club attracts people from the lower years of skool who are just starting warhammer or lotr and that might be sumway to gain interest by asking people if they had ever thought of starting but bcoz of the lack of club/store where you live this might be a way for them to play the games...if you do get one set up let every1 know how it goes!

'Chaos does not teach, it mis-guides'
Old 17 Mar 2006, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
I know how you feel. Last year at my school, me and my friend had to keep it a secret that we played 40k.
This year, well, no one around here even knows what it is but I have convinced one guy to start.

BACK ON TOPIC...

MalveauX, once again, made a very helpful, detailed post. Pretty much everything you need to know is on there.
Closed Thread