Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Size matters? (what force size do you enjoy and why)
Closed Thread
Old 01 Mar 2006, 13:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Size matters? (what force size do you enjoy and why)

I've been seeing a lot of 1000 pt battles, and a TON of force sizes built up for 1500 on these boards.

What size battles have you found to be the most enjoyable--what scenario?

I'm pretty new to 40K and have been playing mostly kill team to get a grasp on the rules set (while I assemble and paint my models too!!). I don't know if kill team is a good place to start, but my kroot are pretty un-defeatable by those pesky tyranids! When I get my Tau and Tyranid armies up and running, I'll have to exact some retribution.

The question is whereabouts do you guys think is the sweet spot in force size for enjoying the game most fully!
Old 01 Mar 2006, 14:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default Re: Size matters? (what force size do you enjoy and why)

I personally feel that the best lists are at 1500 points. At 1500 you can make some pretty cool lists, but you still have to make sacrifices. One of my friend's favorite is 1850, because once you get to 1850 you aren't making as many sacrifices, but we all agree that 2000 is the breaking point of "Too Big"

From my experience, it's also a bit harder to power-game at 1500. When you hit 1850, the power gaming lists flow from the ears. You see lists with 25+ terminators and the like.

With that said, I think you should probably build your army up to about 2500, so that you have some flexibility in your army, and you aren't stuck playing the same list over and over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 01 Mar 2006, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

i like 1750. Halfway between 1500 and 2000
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 01 Mar 2006, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

Any reason why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 01 Mar 2006, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ReApEr

Shouldnt this be in the 40k section?

I like 1000 points, mostly because thats what most of my friends are at at the moment but at 1000 it dosnt take to long and you can get a decent list out of it.

ReApEr
Old 01 Mar 2006, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This needs to be moved to the General section for the proper attention and crowd. Great topic by the way.

I like games at 1250 pts even though I excel at 800 pt games. I'd say 1250 is a good number because mobility and terrain start to become issues for armies while still having squad losses as major blows to forces.
As for scenarios go, I've always liked 'King of the Hill' style games to get armies into the thick of battle for some carnage.

My second recommendation would be a 750 pt game with four players. Make sure to add more terrain than normal and make it a standard VP game while adding in a 7th turn. This is a great social match between friends as players really take their time and get really into movement strategies even if the game will last a while. Only play this one if you and your friends are crashing at someones place for the night so no one will rush for fear of parting early. Oh, make sure it's all vs all when playing to keep everybody on their toes the whole game and making sure to use the map to avoid traps between multiple opponents.
Old 01 Mar 2006, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Can a mod move this to the General Discussion board please?

I find 1500pts the ideal competitive size, 2000pts the max army size.

At 2000pts, you can field a full force and have it entirely customised to your whim. Any higher than this and game dynamics break down a fair bit...units become either too numerous to have an effect or too strong to ever potentially do something worthwhile.

At 1500pts, you get a big army...and you have plenty of options. While you can generally narrow it down a fair bit, there's always a feeling of "what if I had one more tank" or "if only there was another squad" here and there, which I think is a good thing, as it makes you CHOOSE something instead of something else rather than just having it all. It makes for a more competitive game in that everything you lose is a real loss.

Powergaming either exists or it doesn't at any level to me, so whatever size it is won't affect that. People who play troop-heavy lists like me generally win out in small games as it's easy to concentrate on a single powerful unit. Personally, I like small games (500pts Combat Patrol) or big games (2000pts Army games) more than Tournament games (1500pts)...but I still believe that the latter there is the best overall game to play, personal preferences aside.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 01 Mar 2006, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiates
Any reason why?
I like that it gives me the points so that I can take some of the fun little "toys" in my chosen army list, but it doesnt take as long as a 2000pointer to play.

I think alot of the people where I play like it for the same reason
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 02 Mar 2006, 01:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like 1500, its a nice number where SWs take 2 HQ's and its actually worth it and the games are exciting without being drawn out. It's also the ideal size for Tyranids, since anything smaller will usually result in a lost game...

My friends, though, like to play 1000 pts. I really don't like playing this low, since the games are a little boring and some lists are susceptible to being cheesy. Case and point, 2 Dark Reaper squads in Beil Tan or a Defiler with Chaos, usually I don't have enough points to counter each of them...

2000 pts is also good, but as people have said its susceptible to power gaming at that level and the faults in some armies are evident then.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 02 Mar 2006, 08:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

I think 1500 pts is the best size. Why? Well, it is in my opinion a full scaled battle, where the lists will have had to make some sacrifices, and you need to consider what to bring, and what to leave. The game mechanics work best at this stage too, as there are not too many details, but it's not too simple either.
This game will also last for about long enough, any bigger and it will take a lot more time.

I also enjoy 400pts combat patrol, where the Tau really stand out. Their jet pack suits totally dominate combat patrol, and it's fun watching these few mobile units battle it out. Problem is, this game is only 400pts, so often enough luck will determine the winner if it's a close game. Still, it's a short and fun game, and you can do several in an evening, making a good storyline before you go on to bigger battles later in the week.

750 pts are fun, you get to test out your big toys, without too much of them. Games are not too long.

500 pts and 1000 pts cheese lists can be fun, for the sake of it. For example, 500 pts = fire warriors in fish + 2 hammerheads (only restriction is 1+ troops). This rocks!

Anyway, 1.5k is my favourite battle, they are a lot of fun

~Olannon
Closed Thread