Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tutorial: Creating Themed Armies
Closed Thread
Old 14 Feb 2006, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Tutorial: Creating Themed Armies

Well, we have all thought about creating a themed army, but found it far too daunting.

FEAR NOT MY BRETHERN FOR I SHALL ENLIGHTEN YOU!

For referance, I will use the creation of my themed Tau

There are several parts of a themed army:

1. Background - Where does your army come from, what are it's goals, who do they fight for, Chaos, the Emperor, Tau'va ect.

2. Charater - What would a themed army be without a highly converted HQ to lead your forces into battle,
In my Case - my "Aun" is really a Shas'O who's parents were a Shas'O and and Aun'El, part of an Inter caste breeding program to help unify all tau into one caste (this was scraped shorty after the D. Gulf crusade) and recived a life-enhancment treatment adminsitered my a new alien race allied with the tau, My Shas'El is higgly modifyed with Enlarged Plasma rifles, and other hard to discribe features, Her shas'vre is a Hape/Tau cross breed (Eldar swooping hawks, with a tau head) and her other is a Mek boy in Mega Amour with tau jet packs crudly strapped on.

3. Themed Units - what units would an army of your theme have eg. an expidionary legion may have large numbers of Pathfinders and Tetras and Stealth suit, where as a jungle force may use many kroot. you wouldnt have a broad side in a themed army of a gas giant (see where I am going so far?)

4. Allies and Enemies - who is your amry P.Oed at perhaps Orks lead by Big Boss Thunka raided your armys home world, or DE often raid your for slaves, or mabye you have an uneasy treaty with the Imperials to ward off a harsh incrussion of Chaos or Nids, or mabye your army's planet is a tomb world so on and so forth

5. Favoured Terrian - what type of terrian does your army fight on, reflect that on the models. eg using weathering powder to "dust" a model from the desert, or snow flock on winter models ect.

6. Tactis - The fulff of your army usually dictates the tactics eg. a Tau army that is fueled by a blood rage, will get as close as safly possible, so FoF, or an Ork army that as been beaten on by marines may hang back and pour on shoota rounds enmasse into the approching enemy.

7. Sheme - Your sheme should clearly indicate the Favoured terrian, OR appear menacing, and somehow tye in with your fluff

8. Equipment - your troops need to be converted to reflect their role, eg. Tau that are cramed into a DF, may not have arm badges and have extra gear on thier back so that if they are stranded, they can survive in the field

In closing, this is the check list I have used for my Tau list, and Lizardmen (Fantsy) list. Both of which often get extreme priase. If you follow these ease 8 steps, You will have on granddaddy of a themed army.

Well there you have it, Lynx's 8 step program to creating the perfect themed army.

Lynx
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tutorial: Creating Themed Armies

Good job, you've definately done your homework! Thanks, I just realized I was missing a few of those in my army...

~1shot
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

more than a little home work if I may say so my self, I have been trying to perfect this for quite some time

Now, to put these steps in action (using the Katari Raider Cadres)

The Raider Cadres for Katari (300 lightyears from Hape, aprox. 100, 000, 000 light years from T'au) is the most respect Tau army on the Western Rim. Their leader, Shas'O T'au Aun'O Mont'yr Shi Vral, is recognized by the Hape High Council of Matres as a War hero beyond any seen before, and as a reward was granted a life-extention treatment, making him near immortal, with a new life span of 1000 years. He is currently 366 years of age.
His raiders are fast, leathal and tent to strike faster than even Dark Eldar. They, unlike most Tau, do not fear close combat, but don't readly engage in it, unless it may send fear though the enemy's ranks.
The Katari's goal is to aid the surrounding systems and to subsume more races into the Sub Tau empire forming on the western rim.

Tau:
'Aun'
Shas'O Tau'n Aun'O Mont'yr Shi Vral
Though a member of the Shas, he demands the same level of respect as an Aun'O. He is the oldest living Tau, at over 360 years old. He was a Shas'Vre who had no idea of his linage during the Gulf Crusade. After the crusade, when the Hape Ambassitors arrived five years later he requested to lead the army. Before he left it was reveled to him that he was not a mere Shas'O, but his parents were members of differant castes. An Aun'O and Shas'O breed and as a result he was taller and stronger than the avrage tau, and always got far more respect than he diserved. Even as a La, the Os listened to him. As a result, when he assumed command of the White Shield Cadres, he allowed intercaste breeding, mostly between Shas and Fio, or Kor and Fio, for Shas and Kor. Thjis way they got Super solider that could fly, and fight on the ground, or repair thier ships or Battle suits.

Shas'El

Shas'El Katari Fio'ui Ukos J'karra Shi
El Fio Ukos is the hundredth daugter of O Aun Mont'yr, and her mother was a Fio'ui. As a result, she often improves apon her battle suit between battles. At the moment, her greases number in the thousands of Orks, Imperials, and Eldar.

Body Guard

Shas'Vre Hape Hapa'O
This 'thing' is not Tau, but a cross bread of Tau and Hape. He wares Hape battlearmour and has a Kustom Plasma rifle, it ws created by El Fio Ukos and an Ork Mek boy who left his clan for the safety and big ol' guns.

Mek Boy Bonebasha
A rouge Ork who joine the Tau because well, Ded got dez big shooty gunz dat kill tonz o' boys, He is fully suited up in a mega armourthe has Tau jets strapped to his back.

3. This army is a fully mech force, with plenty of kroot to support the ranks. This is because their terrian is vastly sovered in tall planets, fungus, water, sand. Kroot are every where, as they have never been this far out, and couldn't wait to emerse them sleves in the life on the far rim.

Allies
Hape Empire - Tzemplar, Pho'een, Angatang, Hape.
Xindi Co-Operative
Kroot
Imperial Democratic Rebels

Enemies
Pyromancer Space Marine Chapter
Imperial Guard (From several panets)
Warboss Skullzbasha Git Smasha
Eldar Pirates

5. stated in troops

6. FoF, JSJ, anything up close and personal (and fast)

7. 2 Shemes -
Decoys - Bleached bone Armour, Catachan Green under coat
Everything else Tau
Catachan Green Amour, Schorched browun under suit, 60/40 Bleach bone, Snake bite leather highlight, Catachan green gun, bleach bone detials
Kroot
Snakebite leather skin, gobo green quills, spines and belly, red eyes, scorched brown cloth, verman brown dry brush and gun with orange to yellow glowy power weapon fighting staves.

8. No arm shields, some green stuff capes, carbines attached to backpacks, shovels and pick axes, knives, and few helmets as they would get hot in 100+ degrees f.

There is one example, if you want another, I can post my lizardmen outline

Lynx
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

I also have one posted for my Dark Eldar in my themed army post, great outline Lynx! Some of the points don't work well with Dark Eldar, but nothing is perfect, but that's also because Dark Eldar are nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 14 Feb 2006, 02:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is a general outline, I you want i could go to work for a few weeks and make a perfect DE themed army creator?

Oh and thank you for the support!

Lynx
Old 14 Feb 2006, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

I don't think it's necesary(necisary? How do you spell it?! Oh. Right. Spell check.) that you go and make an outline for every army, this is a good basic one and people can make ammends to it if they have a specific army such as dark eldar or the like. Great job though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I hope it helps every one.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 23:56   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
Well, I hope it helps every one.
It's already been of use for the "Themed Armies" discussion going on elsewhere on this very board: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18170.0

Kudos. And yes, you were cited [grins].
Old 15 Feb 2006, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well I am truly touched that this helped

Lynx