Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forge world
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jan 2006, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Forge world

I really don't understand what forge world, how to order or how do the models go in playing. Are they legal in GW tournaments, are the rules only in Imperial armour four and are the prices just about the same as other modles.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Forge world

forge world is a company with GW that makes extra more detailed models to buy.

when you play with FW stuff you must agree with the other player before playing. some tournaments can allow them but some don't so i don't know that one. the price is more expensive because it is made of resin and the rules can be found in al imperial armour books.

i hope it helps a bit ;D

join the iron maiden cult, for iron maiden!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19802.0
Old 03 Jan 2006, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Only certain models you have to allow permission. If you read the Baneblade or other Super heavy tank rules you only have to get your opponent's permission in games under 2000 points. At the same time certain tournaments won't allow the special models so check before hand.

You do need the opponent's permission to use titans and the warhound titans really aren't that great in actual battle. Quite a point sink for not too much benefit.

Other models which are just more detailed than the regular models are fine.

The chaos dreadnoughts are a good example I personally think that the models look very cartoonish compared to the Space Marine dreadnoughts, and I don't care for the power scourge that it comes with. It looks like it was meant for the night lords legion more than any other. As such I ordered a thousand sons dreadnought with a lascannon arm and a chainfist arm to go with my Thousand sons and my brother ordered a keeper of secrets for his LATD.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thousandsons.htm

These 2 models are fine to use as all the rules are in the regular codex, its just that they are more detailed and of better quality.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes. It is also where you can find models that are sold nowhere else. Like the Exorcist tank, for example. Payment on the other han dis something I don't quite understand though.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

Forgeworlds models are really expensive, as well as the Imperial Armor books. I wouldn't reccomend getting too much from FW unless you're getting detail parts or are just buying them for collecting/modelling. A lot of the time your opponent won't let you use the FW units (unless the rule specifies that you can deploy the unit without permission, like with the Super-Heavy tanks), but even when you do use them they take up a lot of points and aren't as useful as they look. I've also heard that some of the models are badly molded and you need a lot of green stuff to fix them up.

You'd be better off converting a Perfect Grade Gundam model. Those are maybe 200 dollars most, and yet are poseable, have working lights, AND are larger than the Forgeworld titans. They just need some conversion-work to have the 40k style.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 23:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I never buy IA items, quite happy with my list as it is, however im ordering the new broadside suit (underslung railguns - no argument over this model, theres been enough) and some terrain items like the air moisture things to add detail to the terrain i'm making!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Jan 2006, 00:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't like the philosophy of Forge World given how much it costs for the "standard" models to begin with but it's hard to argue with since there's no other alternatives. Personally I don't see why they'd continue the Broadsides' standard model when they've got the uber-Forge World version. The underslung railguns and sleek head are just plain sexy.

I have never been to a WH40K tournament though when I return to the states I'm thinking about it. With that in mind I find it kinda odd that they wouldn't allow you to use some of the models. I understand things like Titans and all but what about the simple alternative-looking models like the broadsides? It's obviously the same unit with the same armaments, it's just cooler-looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 04 Jan 2006, 04:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun_shaun
I really don't understand what forge world, how to order or how do the models go in playing. Are they legal in GW tournaments, are the rules only in Imperial armour four and are the prices just about the same as other modles.
What is Forgeworld?
- A sub-company of GW - that basically makes 'test' models out of resin (not plastic, so it's more expensive) - and really big stuff. If the models/rules are good, then GW might incorporate them into the main range. You can find their website at http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/
Occasionally the produce models that Games Workshop haven't gotten around to making in plastic yet, but are rules legal as they appear in GW codexes - such as the SM Drop Pods.

How to Order?
- Through their online store. Same as any other online store really - browse through their catalogue, add items to basket, and pay for it all. Keep in mind that the company is based in UK, but luckily charges a flat rate for shipping by air to anywhere outside UK. Good for people like me on the direct opposite side of the world (cheaper than GW UK's online store's shipping too).

How the models/units go ingame..
- Well for this, you'll need to ask people who actually have the models, which is pretty rare around here. Most people get the models for the models themselves, as the rules tend to be underpowered and make the unit expensive, and not as effective ingame as they should be for their points cost.

Legal in GW tournaments?
- Usually its up to the people who run the Tournaments, but generally they are not allowed.

Where to find the rules?
- Currently, all the rules for their models can be found in either - one of the three Imperial Armour Volumes (there are currently only three volumes, IAV4 won't be out for a while..), in the Yearly Updates that contain rules that arent in one of the Volumes, or as Experimental Rules from the Downloads section on Forgeworlds' website. You can see the contents pages of each volume in links from their online store (in the book descriptions).

The Prices..
- Generally more expensive, as the models are made out of resin rather than plastic (they aren't mass produced after all in plastic.. supply and demand..) and the moulds themselves don't last too long, increasing production costs.

Have a look around their website: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/ - that should answer most of your questions (inc. most of the ones above..)
Old 04 Jan 2006, 07:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

Is resin more detailed than plastic or something? Because otherwise they could just use plastic. Unless they're trying to eke more money out of us... >
Old 04 Jan 2006, 09:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamfan
Is resin more detailed than plastic or something? Because otherwise they could just use plastic. Unless they're trying to eke more money out of us... >
No, but something would only be made in plastic if it were to be mass produced - on a similar scale to GW's plastic line. Forgeworld models are bought etc, though not to a similar extent that GW models are, nor are they distibuted as far etc. Most of the time they're more like collector models, with a limited audience of buyers.. This is the same reason for some GW models being metal - there isn't enough demand to make them in plastic.