Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice for opponents and letting things go.
Closed Thread
Old 04 Oct 2004, 17:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Advice for opponents and letting things go.

I was wondering if any of you try and help opponents in battles that are getting really one sided in your favour. Or advise against really silly moves the opponent is about to make.

Also do any of you again if your playing a noob or are winning easily let the opponent off with things for example they fail a LD test which would end the last bit of resistance they have, do you let them off with things like this,

Personally i try to help my opponents as it does make for a more challenging game if they aren't making silly mistakes, perhaps due to not knowing the rules of my army entirely.
I also let people off with things if it goes someway in enhancing the game.

Now don't get me wrong i absoloutley HATE loseing, more than pretty much anything else(and i hate loseing at anything as well, football, rugby,tennis etc not just warhammer), but a challenge is always more interesting and it is no fun totally decimating your opponent(it is in some other things but not warhammer).

(p.s: Does anybody ever go on the witchunter board?).
Old 04 Oct 2004, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Advice for opponents and letting things go.

It depends upon the person. I once had a friend that used to go against everything I was advising him to do, and it backfired upon him. Then eventually, he saw the logic behind my suggestions and started taking them more seriously. He know wins more often then he used to.

In the normal course of the game, I let them go more often the not, but there are some types of gamers where I let nothing go (mainly the power gamers). But if I'm totally desimating my opponent (which is a very rare occurance coz I make stupid mistakes on purpose such as not putting a valuable unit behind cover just so that the opponent has a good chance of victory). Anyway if I'm decimating them, i usually do characterful things with the army I'm playing with. For example if I'm using Khorne, I'd get one of my units to charge one of my own just coz the Champion is staring at the other Champion the wrong way... or kill off a powerful and expensive Farseer as he tries to see into the future.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

I personally don't believe in giving advice to newbie gamers, at least in my group, cuz it measn he doesn't seem to learn from his misytakes, just mindlessly nods along to whatever he's being told.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 04 Oct 2004, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

I Help newbies and much younger people, to help them get a better feel from the game, and iff they are still getting thrashed I try to loose to even it up more. There was one time I was playing a kid who was thinking about playing. We both had 2000pts of my army, I was trying to loose, and giving advice, and still cained him with out taking a wound.

He decided not to play.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 18:42   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Has it occured to you that your just TOO GOOD God?

I have helped a few starting Khorne/Dark Angel/Space Marine/Eldar players in my time.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

In my club there are days when new players are encouraged to come along and vets are their opponents and refs of the games.

This allows new players to get advice and also not be totally hammered which may put people off the game.

I personally try to help new players as this may prevent them making some mistakes in the future, which could be expensive for them if it involves army selection and thus the buying of models.

I think by helping new players we are advancing them quicker which gives us better opponents to play against and due to this help that we have offered it may encourage them to help other new players. I also think that by helping them at this early stage it stops them becoming power gamers etc.

I personally only played against one person for my first year of gaming, i then met 2 people at school that played and got a few more mates into it, one of the people that i met at school encouraged me to start playing at GW's. I don't think the GW shop environment is as beneficial to new players as well established gaming clubs as at these gaming clubs you can get advice from the same people and can become comfortable with asking these people for advice.

I tend not help really young kids who are screaming/shouting really loudly all the time at anything that happens in the game as this can become annoying, i actually don't play against gamers like this at all.

I also won't help fully grown men who whine and whinge when you are beating them and then go into lists of things that they would be able to beat you with that they have left at home, or whinge about how appalling their luck is when they havent failed a save, or over heated a plasma weapon all game.

If im in a closely faught game, against an experienced, accomplished vet i obviously won't be doing them many favours as it's a battle to determine the better gamer IMO, i really enjoy games like this when you are seriously getting worried about failing that save on your wriathlord or trying desperatly not to draw attention to a unit that you have left vulnerable so you try to direct their attention at another squad on the battlefield. Intense, close games like this make the game of warhammer for me.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 18:49   #7 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT (Farseer Tyross)
Has it occured to you that your just TOO GOOD God?
Considering my win to loss ratio. No it hasn't.

Good idea having vets as refs.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I've taught a fair few people in my time, the best job I ever had (yes, I got paid for it!) and I find that some noobs are really unpleasent if you try to help them, but they tend to be even more so if you take advantage of their mistakes.
But then again, ignoring their mistakes, like forgoing shooting at their uber-killy close combat unit when they took the wrong way around some cover is liable to cause problems.

Sometimes, even when you're winning, you just can't win.

Old 04 Oct 2004, 20:45   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

i was never that bad as a noob...clueless yes, obnoxious no. mind you, i still clueless now.....tactics are still beyond me....

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 04 Oct 2004, 21:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I try and tell them what they can do, or say a list of good possibilities, and if they decide to go against it they can do so.
Closed Thread