Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to do next?
View Poll Results: What army should I be next, or should I continue marines? (read post first!)
Necrons 4 18.18%
Tau 5 22.73%
Eldar 2 9.09%
Orks 4 18.18%
Chaos 0 0%
Daemon/Witch Hunters 0 0%
Imperial Guard 3 13.64%
Tyranids 1 4.55%
Other Not Mentioned 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04 Oct 2005, 02:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default What to do next?

Well, I'm just about at 1000pts of marines, and I'm unsure of where I should go. I really like Marines, but I have such an urge to start a 2nd army and to get away from the Emporer. And so far I'm looking mainly in 2 directions.

#1 is Necrons. I'm starting to like them. The idea of mindless machines marching endlessly slaughtering all in their path seems cool. Also, I really would like to try...new ideas with them. I really like Pariahs, so I want to utilize hem. And Wraiths too.

#2 is Tau. In fact, when just beggining, I looked at Tau and Space Marines. I liked the Firewarriors and the Devilfish mainly. Their mobility apealed to me, and I've always been one to favor long-range solutions. Plus the new 'dex is looking great!

So, should I continue looking down these diriections? Or should I choose a new army? Or build my marines to 1850 ps. I would like some suggestions so I can decide. Thanks for your time.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 04 Oct 2005, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: What to do next?

Well that depends. Do you want an army everyone else is going to have? What attributes do you like in an army? We need something to go on, otherwise were shooting at a target in a dark room.
Old 04 Oct 2005, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

necrons are rely just marines game wise.
don't get tau i picked them cuse no won else had them.
eavry one who gets them hurts me.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 04 Oct 2005, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

If it's long range, choose guard. If you dont want to be imperial, choose traior guard!
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 04 Oct 2005, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

If its between Tau and Necrons go Tau. The fluff is actual fluff and you can customize your army much more than the necrons. All necron armies I have seen have pretty much been exactly the same. One shade of shiny, maybe slightly rusted metal, perhaps they swapped out the color of the guns sometimes. There isnt a whole lot you can do with either fluff or with the models to really make them your own, where with every other army you pretty much can.

The Tau are good with guns, close and long range and are very mobile. If you like vehicles go with Tau.

Though I do think you should finish the Space Marines first, then go with the Tau. Collecting 2 armies at once is annoying, I have to do it because my brother now plays as well and it is a real pain in the.... well you know what.

Old 04 Oct 2005, 09:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

If you like Marines, finish them up. 1000 pts. is alot, but not enough for MArines. the Crons and Tau are both way cool armys (I lean towards Tau) but I think finishing up another 1000 pts for Marines and then move to Tau or Crons would be wise.

Althought I reccomend the new Nids. Thiers nothing quite like taking all those genestealers, ripping apart marines in CC, and then having you Carnifex come in with 10 attacks to finish the job!
Old 04 Oct 2005, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRCommander
Well, I'm just about at 1000pts of marines, and I'm unsure of where I should go.* *I really like Marines, but I have such an urge to start a 2nd army and to get away from the Emporer.* And so far I'm looking mainly in 2 directions.
You could do Lost and the Damned, morph your Marines into Bad Marines and get some IG and other stuff (I don't like mutants, but the stat line lends itself to any poor horde like lot, and they are quite useful troops...).

As to your choices, well this is a Tau list ;-). To me the Necrons are like Robo-marines, Tau are just IG with carapace armour and floaty tanks ;-)

If you want the opposite of Marines, try Dark Eldar. A thinking man's army ;-)
Old 04 Oct 2005, 12:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Thanks.* And likes and such...

First and most important of all, I like an army that requires me to think and I enjoy coming up with good unusual strategies.* I mainly started playing this game to play a game with alot of strategy.* I prob. wouldn't like orks, as they don't require a huge amount of thinking.* I heard Dark ELdar might be a good choice...but they aren't sold at my store, so getting an army of them would be difficult.* This is one reason I'm getting tired of SM.* They can pretty much do anything with any unit...so not a huge amount of thinking.* I was appealed to Necrons becuase I wantedto try very unusual strategies (like using Pariahs and maybe NOT taking a monolith), and Tau becuase they are (from what I've heard) require more thinking and handling.

2nd is fluff.* I love 40k fluff, and this is mainly why I chose Marines in the first place.* So I want to have an army with some good fluff, not anything bad (which is why I hesitate on Necrons).

And army type preferences; either solid shooting or solid assualt.* My marine army so far is both (but the strategy works well).

And I kinda added chaos for people to mention on, but recently I tried making a Chaos list...but I just didn't like the field.* And I don't like mutants.

Finnally, I want a cheaper army. Thats my hesitation on Guard. Not dirt cheap, but say one that won't take me a year to collect.

Thanks for the comments, and keep 'em coming!

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 04 Oct 2005, 14:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whats the difference between radical and normal Inquisitors?

" BURN the book!"
" No! READ the book!"

Or something like that. Read it in a WD the other day and it stuck in my mind
Old 04 Oct 2005, 14:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

just build Orks. We Tau players can never get enough Ork opponents ;D

wanax
Closed Thread