Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Creating Special Characters and VDR
Old 27 Jan 2012, 00:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Post Creating Special Characters and VDR

Hello fellow gamers,

Once again i was bored and decided to check out the forums, and i saw a fair few posts of how people have created their own special characters, a lot of them were pretty cool but i found a problem with them. either the points cost was too high for the model or way too cheap for what the model could do. Thinking back i remembered coming across an old article on how to create a chapter master for 2nd ED 40k (WD issue 209). Thanks to an old GW owner, together we rewrote the rules so that any army can create their own Special character from the basic troop type to HQ.

Here is how you start:
1. Pick a basic Troop type or HQ
2. Select one of the upgrade using the apropate Points cost (Basic or HQ)
3. Add the point cost together and add your wargear
4. write up your special character, play test it and enjoy

Special Character Upgrade:
-----UPGRADE----BASIC----HQ
+1 WS or BS---- 5 pts-----10 pts
+1 Toughness--- 15pts----30 pts
+1 A or S-------- 10pts----20 pts
+1 Wound--------10pts----20 pts
+1 I or LD--------5 pts----10 pts

Just to help everyone understand i have 2 examples: 1st is my chapter master Lamorak base cost is 125 pts i decide that he is slightly tougher then most and so select the toughness upgrade (costs 30pts) and add his wargear (58 pts) which makes him a nice 213 pts.

My 2nd example is a space marine scout sergeant with a base cost of 25* pts (This can be worked by minus the standard troop points cost from the total cost (13pts per model x 4 =52, 75 - 52= 23pts)), he is a really good shot so i take the BS upgrade (5 pts) and add the wargear (23pts) which makes the scout 53pts.

I hope this all helps everyone to create some awesome characters for your army.

Good hunting

* Round up the base cost of your HQ or Troop to the nearest 5pt
Part 2 Special abilities/rules
I have had the discussion on how this should be done, i thought at first that maybe it should be done like the 4th ed of the space marines codex with it's merits and flaws system, but the problem with that is people will pick the flaws that really don't bother them (or is the smallest annoyance) with their chapter. And of course the points system has nothing you can really judge it against to see if the points are fair, but in the end a mix of both seems to work.
I hope to see some really awesome characters out there in the forums.
Good Hunting one and all.

Once again you may only select one of the following to create your special character, and if he leads a unit i have included a points cost so that unit may take the special rule as well. Enjoy!

As this is just a summary, if any of the Codexes include one of these special rules and the rule is different, the one in the Codex takes precedence (representing how the general special rule applies to that specific race). The special rules marked with an asterisk (*) are
automatically lost by an independent character joining a unit that does not have the same special rule; unless you pay the appropriate point cost for the unit or independent character. These rules are also lost by a unit that is joined by an independent character that does not have the same special rule.
The special rules marked with an “I” are for independent character’s only and are exempt from loosing the special rule if joining a unit that does not have the same rule.
The special rules marked with an “R” have restricted wargear see the description under each special rule for further details.

COUNTER-ATTACK Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model

ETERNAL WARRIOR (I) Cost: 30pts

FEARLESS Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model

FEEL NO PAIN (I) Cost: 30pts

FLEET* Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model

FURIOUS CHARGE Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model

HIT & RUN* Cost (independent character/unit): 30pts/5pts per model

INFILTRATE*® Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model

R: Cannot take terminator armour, jet packs, artificer armour or any form of transport (bikes, tanks etc)

MOVE THROUGH COVER* Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model

NIGHT VISION/ACUTE SENSES Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model

PREFERRED ENEMY Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model

RAGE Cost (independent character/unit): -10pts/-2pts per model

RELENTLESS Cost (independent character/unit): 30pts/5pts per model

SCOUTS* Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model
R: Cannot take terminator armour, jet packs or artificer armour.

SKILLED RIDER Cost (independent character/unit): 10pts/2pts per model
R: Cannot take terminator armour, jet packs or artificer armour.

SLOW AND PURPOSEFUL Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model

STEALTH Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model
R: Cannot take terminator armour, artificer armour or any form of transport (bikes, tanks etc)

STUBBORN Cost (independent character/unit): 30pts/5pts per model

TANK HUNTERS Cost (independent character/unit): 20pts/3pts per model