Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MAGIC THE GATHERING+40K=WAR
Closed Thread
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default MAGIC THE GATHERING+40K=WAR

I play magic the gathering and 40K and it seems that MTG players Hate 40K players and Viceveersa.
Is there a Reson For this?

brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird
Default Re: MAGIC THE GATHERING+40K=WAR

A long long time ago in a game store far far away there were many altercations over table space and who was the bigger geek.

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well if you must know, I claim full responsiblity for this feud.

Back when both of these games were in their infancy, a group of Magic the Gathering players asked me about 40K. I showed them the rules, the tabletop, the dice, and of course the great miniatures. They were so excited, that they took some of my unpainted mini's at the time and primed them, and asked me if they could paint them. I agreed, but had them promise me they would share the wonder and glory of their game as well.

So they showed me their game. They showed me the rules, the tabletop, and the deck of cards they use.

I was so excited, I took some of the cards and primed them. ;D
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
I was so excited, I took some of the cards and primed them. ;D
LOL. I'm putting this in my signature.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to penguindw

As said previously the main problem between the two groups is table space. I play both games and the store I go to solves this problem as they have more or less defined days for 40K and Magic.
40K: Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Magic: Thursdays and Sundays.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to xv15 kill team

personally i think its because of tanle space and just plain the fact that mtg can be learned in a day a deck can be assembled in a day, and it relys on luck not strategy.whereas 40k requires time and effort and thought as well as artistic creativity for the color scemes and also 40k has unlimited areas to explore and mtg is the same old thing over and over and over. :

ps dont even get me started on yu-gi-oh. lets see how dark magician handles against a railgun hehehehehehe >

pps i also just dont like buying something unless you know exactly whats in it (booster packs)

unfortunatly i made the mistake of hiring constuction workers who are high school dropouts with 5 o clock shadows and generaly only answer to "hey fatty" or "stop urinating on my property or im calling the police!". But they stand around and spit alot so i figure they must be halfway decent construction workers...
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

What I'm talking about is I go to GW for 40K and Wizards for MTG
and it's not the employs that hate it it's the other players.
Damn Yu-gi oh Die die die
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 23:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Quote:
personally i think its because of tanle space and just plain the fact that mtg can be learned in a day a deck can be assembled in a day, and it relys on luck not strategy.
Har har har! As a magic player I could write many pages contradicting that.

I'll just say that I think Magic has a far better rules system. Both have planning and collecting aspects. You can get your magic cards in singles if you like, it'll probably still be cheaper than a 40k army.

I quit magic for the same reason I'll probably quit 40k eventually: I got sick of the way the company did things. I was sick of the company constantly putting out new cards that I just HAD to buy. The boosters also got more expensive and smaller. There was also a stupid trend to make up a new rule or two with every expansion, give it a one word name, and explain it in italics on every card that has the ability. Freakin' annoying.

It's good though, I guess; better than GWs approach where the rules are sold separately in expensive books, poorly written, and so vague and contradictory that there is a rule about what to do when you can't make sense of your expensive rulebooks! The Magic rulebook used to come free with every starter deck, was very tiny, but written in perfect, lawyerly order. If a card was weird, it explained on that card exactly how it worked, and very rarely did they miss something. Errata were issued for balance reasons, and not to explain rules which were always clear.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 23:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I play magic off and on. I built a really powerful counterspell deck that everyone refuses to play because they say it isn't fun. I don't particulary like magic, but I still play because I already have the cards and my friends want to. The thing that really irriitates me are the first or second turn decks that people constantly put together. When two of those decks go up against each other it really is luck of the draw on who wins. 40k has dice rolling which depends on luck, but you roll so many dice per game that it will usually balance out. Also, with magic you have to constantly spend money to be competitive and you have to spend a bunch of money just to get a single deck powerful enough to be playable for more than one editions. It is really a contest of who has spent the most money and thus has the best cards. 40k goes off points so even a new player can beat a veteran if he has the skill and a bit of luck. Having a huge collection gives you more options on what to take in 40k, but that can only help you so much.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 00:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ive played magic many times but never seriously. For one its not my style of gaming and I really hate spending money on boosters, (if I knew how much money Ive spent on Pokemon, Magic and Yu'Gi oh Id shoot myself). The only reason I played the evil pointy haired anime game was out of sheer boredom during school, though as soon as the rules were changed to favor whoever had the new stuff I dropped it, I could find other things to do... like say research Warhammer. Whenever I play magic no matter how little of the rules I remember at that time I always lose though I get my opponent down to 1 life/hp, whatever its being called now.

The argument is deffinetly table space, aswell as the fact that no matter how much luck and strategy are involved 40K is a hobby where as Magic is just a card game. You have to buy, construct, paint, organize and play your army where with Magic you just buy the cards and build your deck.

Closed Thread