Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which is the best 40k army for Tournament play?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Sep 2005, 11:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Which is the best 40k army for Tournament play?

Hi

Up till now we've played our armies (kids & me) for fun with each other and at local club nights, but there is a local tournament in a few months, thought it might be fun. I was wondering which army is viewed as the "best" for tournament play. We have DE, Eldar (Ulthwe usually), Orks, IG and Necrons (non-Monolith version). Its 1500pts on 6x4 tables, I'm told terrain can be a bit sparse.

Of all the games we've had, the Necrons seem the most reliable army, but the Dark Eldar pull off the most stonking wins against armoured (SM/CSM/Necron) or Horde armies, but are more vulnerable to the mid range outfits. Eldar can be awesome, but are proving much harder to use well...need a lot of thought. Orks rokk and are a hoot to play, but are not a great tourney army imho. IG is good at dishing it out (but not in the Dark Eldar's league) and lousy at taking it, so its hard to get big wins.

I am told SM/CSM will be 2/3 of any set of oppos - so, given that both Necrons and DE armies will reliably pop smurfs, which one should we go with?
Old 21 Sep 2005, 11:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Which is the best 40k army for Tournament play?

Tournaments are full of power-gamers, so...

Tyranids (loaded up on Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants)
Space Marines (loaded up on Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders)
Chaos Space Marines (loaded up on upgrades)
Eldar (loaded up on Wraithlords and other Monstrous Creatures)
Necrons
Imperial Guard (TONS of Tanks)

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 13:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Which is the best 40k army for Tournament play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
Tournaments are full of power-gamers, so...

Tyranids (loaded up on Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants)
Space Marines (loaded up on Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders)
Chaos Space Marines (loaded up on upgrades)
Eldar (loaded up on Wraithlords and other Monstrous Creatures)
Necrons
Imperial Guard (TONS of Tanks)
This is very poor advice. I suggest looking over the results of recent grand tournaments on the GW page to find out which armies are doing well.

Marines should not load up on land raiders or dreadnaughts, as both are easy victory points for other tournament armies. Marines do well with either A) fast attack with special rules (blood angels), B) Super shooty infantry, or C) drop pods. Landraiders appear in none of these forces.

Tyranids seem more successful when running a fast horde as opposed to monstrous creatures, as their monstrous creatures don't get invulnerable saves, and can be mowed down or avoided fairly easily.

Tournament eldar armies may have wraithlords, but do better by loading up on starcannons rather than on monsters.

Necrons probably aren't as strong as you seem to think.

Since 4th Ed came out, with it's heavy reliance on victory points, in order to get best general scores (because you can paint any army well, and be a good sport with any army), you need to rack up victorious slaughters. Close wins are good, but not enough. So you need an army that can win and win big.

In the four grand tournaments this year, the highest battle points were:

Baltimore: Deathguard, Ultramarines (shooty), Blood Angels, Tyranids (old codex), Guard, Eldar
Minneapolis: Dark Eldar (Wych Cult), Iron Warriors, Tyranids (old codex), Tau, Dark Eldar
Seattle: Blood Angels (Droppod), Tyranids (old codex), Marines (droppod), Marines (droppod), Blood Angels (droppod), Night Lords
Chicago: Thousand Sons, Feral Orks, Marines, Feral Orks, Dark Eldar

Seattle was basically won by drop pod armies. Reading some reports after the fact, these six guys from Utah (I think), basically all playtested how to make the forces work for a few months, and showed up and won it all.

Given that some of the other armies (dark eldar, thousand sons) are generally considered to be weak armies, I would venture to say that any army can win, with a skilled general. Afterall, the only army not to make it into top 5 battle points in the last four grand tournaments was Necrons.
Closed Thread