Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW Swtiching to Resin
Old 18 May 2011, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Exclamation GW Swtiching to Resin

So it has been confirmed that GW is now switching from its metal minis to resin. I know from reading the forums here and else where that the swtich is has been long awaited to finally faze out the metal minis.

Also on top of this GW has also announced yet again an increase on pricing of their miniatures. There is some speculation on what is being increased or if its an overall price increase on all product ranges. I've heard they will be increase pricing on large box sets like Battleforces and on their books like the Codecies. The question here is that why are they increasing the price while they are saving themselves money by swtiching to resin from the expensive to produce metal models.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this newly released information? I welcome the change to resin but what it sounds like is another increase on pricing by at least 20%.
Hayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2011, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sounds like price gouging on their monopoly and a posible switch to a new hobby if the new codex is not worth it. Thats what it sounds like to me. i love the modelling more than anything and I can always go back to war diaramas (I know my spelling sucks) or buying cheap used off ebay and retooling them. now if the new codex makes it worth it to stick around, so be it.

Last edited by articulategrunt; 18 May 2011 at 20:03.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2011, 23:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Pricey or not, I personally love a lot of the resin models (Forge World has plenty of them already even if they are not mainstream models for the most part). They are a big improvement over the metal miniatures of old but I agree that gouging the prices a bit on them is unnecessary.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2011, 09:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here's my two bits. GW stores offer two things, GW products, and tables to play with said products. Now imagine this, most GW customers that I see (apart form the regs who sit there to paint and talk all day) are in the kid to the older teenage age group. They convince mommy and daddy to buy an expensive ($80-100 for a box of minis is expensive to ANY parent) and the book for said army after a GW employee excites them through a round of WH40k (since that is the most common I've seen at the stores) The kid puts together the army, maybe buys a blister figure or two, but then he realizes something, he can't really afford to keep buying more and more boxes of minis because well he's a kid and parents rarely will keep buying more and more other than maybe a box a month (from what I've seen and personal experience with these kids). So they have a battleforce, a blister or two, and maybe one box of extra troops (if the GW employee does the good thing and suggests to make their army more balanced). They build it up and paint them, and they get comfortable with their roughly 1k point army (most likely making units "shiny" depending on army) and they go every week or every other day to play. Other than the initial purchase, GW does not make any more money off that customer's time being in the store, in response to lackluster sales because these kids are satisfied with their armies and what not (give or take a couple who have more willing parents) (most of the regular playing customer base is not buying) they raise the price of models to make more money off the guys who buy every now and then or to the newcomer wanting to buy in. But other than the initial battleforce purchase, GW will lose out sales to online sellers (I know I would rather save $10-30 on a squad of marines) and customers continue to play for free. My solution to this would be simple, lower the price of models to where they rival online prices, and charge a small hourly usage fee for the tables. That also clears up tables because people usually like to "park" their minis on a table for hours at a time, preventing others from using it. My advice would be charge $5 to use a table for one game, having a GW worker regularly check on players and whatnot. So effectively if a GW store is open from 10-9, and they have 5 tables, they could effectively make ~$25 an hour from gamers, making an extra ~$275 a day. That way they can afford the models dropping in price, but have a fair trade off. I say this because the GW I went to frequently shut down because of lackluster sales, and imho is was because they never sold models frequently. Since the store was near my campus, I would go there after classes to play or chat, and 90% of the boxes would never be touched, having that layer of "sitting" dust with the finger imprints from the off chance someone decides to check the box out then put it back. Also a gaming store opened up down the street with more game variety. But heres my answer to the local game store, recently they've been suffering the same fate as the GW store, no one wants to buy but everyone wants to play, and then again barely anyone plays because no one cleans or watches the tables. At least at a GW store you have someone actively making sure that the tables are clean or in good condition, and then you have a free rules judge, rather than 4-5 guys arguing about their own interpretations. I know this is a wall of text so here we go

TL;DR:
Games Workshop should make a significant price drop, and start charging a small usage fee for their gaming tables.
Oriorortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2011, 18:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think they should give discounts on Multiple sets purchased at one time.

I dont think they should charge by the hour, most kids like you said don't have the cash to throw away like that. What they could do is charge a RESERVATION FEE. I'm an adult hobbist and i'll happily pay that.

GW could do more to sell more, with Volume discounts.

How about an Advanced box, like a Starter box (which is a good dea ) and Call it an Elites box set. Like for Space Wolves, comes with two sets of Terminators and some Scouts, and maybe a Razorback.

Then add an SM Heavy Box comes with Dred, Predator, and a Devastor Unit.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Little kids don't have the money to pump 40+ dollars into a box each week yes, but asking mom or dad for $10 bucks for the day to play a couple games, then parents are much more cooperative. And I do like the idea of bigger box sets, but I remember they tried that idea with a 40k marines and Orks, and that idea flopped because of like a $200 price tag. But I DO like the idea of applying discounts with bigger purchases, like if I bought 3 boxes of marines, I get like 10-15% off or the fourth box half off or something. The problem with the reservation fee is that I can still see the guys who would reserve the table for the day, play like a game then leave their stuff there for the rest of the time while they talk to do some painting or what not, even though I think the foundations of that idea are good.
Oriorortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2011, 23:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the suggestions and for cheaper models I wouldn't mind paying to play games ( maybe 5 bucks for the day or for the table so 2:50 per player) but we won't be heard here and I can only think of flooding GW email with messages from everyone and they may put some of the ideas into play.

Cause the hobby is getting expensive I'm starting to look at other games only newly made and in the first stages
Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2011, 07:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

One way GW can make alot more money , is to have more events. They dont hold tournaments in thier stores. they could also have more than one day of games day.. and also have multiple locations for these events.

People would go to them , but im not gonna fly to Chicago, (possibly get mugged while im trying to get to a convetion center) just for one day.. look at how much Comiccon in San diego dose. Or Adepticon.. they just need to think of different ways to make money with their game.. and not raise the price on minis just cause they are made of resin
( $20.00 for 1 gallon of resin. $5.00 for the hardener)+ about 100 large sprues
thats alot of markup..
spacewolfbill is offline   Reply With Quote