Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle for Skull Pass - Getting "Destroyed"
Old 23 Jun 2010, 08:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Battle for Skull Pass - Getting "Destroyed"

Talking to the store manager of my LGS and he said that after the new rulebook is released, all unsold copies of BFSP are being destroyed. This strikes me as very, uh...what's the word...stupid. If they destroy it they get $0 money from it. Why dont they just sell it for half price? I'm about to start a fantasy greenskin army, and if they dropped the price by 50% i would buy 2 of em, but otherwise i'd just buy the one.

Arent there clearly better alternatives to just "destroying" sets?

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 09:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battle for Skull Pass - Getting "Destroyed"

He was probably pulling your leg - I don't suppose they have that many copies left to begin with; with their latest push to sell them, they'll probably get rid of most of them.
And the rest... I don't know. There ARE valid reasons to destroy them - having older editions still in circulation might give people ideas, and to avoid confusion especially for newbs, it is probably better to really pull them off the shelves at all, rather than have them lying around.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

but if they are going to "destroy" them once the new rulebook is released, wouldnt it be smarter to dock the price down low (to even 20% value) until the new release date, and then destroy them? That means they will most likely sell more sets, and get less money sure but it's more money than they would've got anyway if they only destroyed em.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 11:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
but if they are going to "destroy" them once the new rulebook is released, wouldnt it be smarter to dock the price down low (to even 20% value) until the new release date, and then destroy them? That means they will most likely sell more sets, and get less money sure but it's more money than they would've got anyway if they only destroyed em.

Zambia
It would be smarter to simply remove the old rulebook and then sell it. This would help avoid confusion, however it would no longer be a starter set, with everything you need to play. So it would be like a nice addition for an army. But then they would have to either put stickers on every box saying does not include rule book, or change the box, causing time and/or money to sort out.

I think they have just used the easy option.

- Will
Old 23 Jun 2010, 11:38   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

A simple sticker on the box saying "Not current edition" would be the best approach IMHO. You get inexpensive models and avoids some of the confusion.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

They are the property of the store that bought them. I don't think they will destroy them. GW may buy them back, but my guess is that smart store owners will open them up and sell the parts individually. People have made a killing on that via eBay over the years.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Our store celebrated their 6th year in operation (yay....?) and gave out door prizes and ballots. Just before close, after hotdogs cake and pop, they did a big draw. I won the BfSP box set and Bilbo Baggins (heh, a familiar maybe?), someone else won a WHFB rulebook. Addition ballots were given out for each 50$ spent. I mean did I want the set no, but I was buying the Fire Prism anyways, and it happened to work out.

So yea, don't destroy them,make it a prize for something, get your LGS community involved and together, much better than a trashcan.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I've heard tales from staffers about practices about as wasteful from the company. There was a story about literally thousands of ancient OOP models ending up in a dumpster when they decided they weren't going to sell them anymore. It really makes no sense, but if the tales I've heard are reliable, there's actually a decent likelihood of this!

Obviously, the more sensible choice would be to just sell them off as a dirt cheap way of getting models, but then again "sensible" and "GW" rarely wind up in the same sentence.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 18:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If they destroy them then they can claim a loss in revenue and claim it on their TAXes it is a common practice with toys r us, target, and walmart.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 18:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxlover_bill369
If they destroy them then they can claim a loss in revenue and claim it on their TAXes it is a common practice with toys r us, target, and walmart.
You also then don't pay the costs involved with having non-selling inventory in the store. Space takes money. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote