Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Paint Pots Changing Again?
Old 31 May 2010, 10:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default Paint Pots Changing Again?

Okay, so, through a Bell of Lost Souls post, I've found this.

It looks to me like they're switching to the Foundation/Wash pots across the whole range, but with transparent lids to see the colours from the top. These pots notably are made in China, instead of France, so GW are lowering the costs of production too I'd imagine. Don't expect a price reduction to reflect this though. Capacity should be the same if the Wash/Foundation pots are any indication.

Now, I know by this stage many people use alternate paints to GW's, but I think I might be one of them soon. I've been looking into Vallejo stuff more recently, and if that pot is the type I think it is, I know one thing. I'm not a fan.

Right now the only advantage of GW paints to me is the pots are somewhat stackable. This design they seem to be switching to is not, but I suppose with the transparent lids showing the colour inside they're easier to spot rowed up. However, these lids are fiddly and in the experience of some prone to some leakage and build-up around the rims.

So, anyone like the whole-range looking the same? Anyone else switching to cheaper and sometimes more effective competitors?

Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Paint Pots Changing Again?

To me personally they just look cheap. Cheap and tacky. I don't like them at all.

The ones at the moment are fine, they are reasonably hard to tip over, and are easy to store.

I don't like this idea, but hey, not my choice, I'll probably still be buying them, so oh, well. Bring it on! :

- Will
Old 31 May 2010, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

It occurs to me that this may well signal the end of the paint pot Killa Kan. But, with a Killa Kan kit on the market now, there's less of a need for such things.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
To me personally they just look cheap. Cheap and tacky. I don't like them at all
As my girlfriend just said "Does it matter? It's a pot of paint!"

What it looks like doesn't really make much difference. If you prefer the colours and consistency of GW's own paints, these new pots aren't going to make you stop using them. If you prefer another brand's paints, then the change of pot makes even less difference, because odds are if you were using Vallejo or whatever then it would have taken more than a change in pot design to bring you back to GW.

I don't really care either way. They look like more modern versions of the very first paints they did. It's not going to stop me getting GW paints, though the lids of Foundations and Washes do annoy me, they seem to want to close themselves when you open them. But oh well, it's not a massive issue, certainly not enough to make me switch companies, and we don't even know if these new design ones will suffer from that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
It occurs to me that this may well signal the end of the paint pot Killa Kan. But, with a Killa Kan kit on the market now, there's less of a need for such things.
Nothing will ever stop Ork players from making vehicles out of household junk - I predict only a few weeks at the very, very most (days at least) after these paint pots are released before a Neo-Killa Kan is created.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 14:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
To me personally they just look cheap. Cheap and tacky. I don't like them at all
As my girlfriend just said "Does it matter? It's a pot of paint!"

What it looks like doesn't really make much difference. If you prefer the colours and consistency of GW's own paints, these new pots aren't going to make you stop using them. If you prefer another brand's paints, then the change of pot makes even less difference, because odds are if you were using Vallejo or whatever then it would have taken more than a change in pot design to bring you back to GW.

I don't really care either way. They look like more modern versions of the very first paints they did. It's not going to stop me getting GW paints, though the lids of Foundations and Washes do annoy me, they seem to want to close themselves when you open them. But oh well, it's not a massive issue, certainly not enough to make me switch companies, and we don't even know if these new design ones will suffer from that either.
That's what I finished by saying, even if I don't like it, I'll still be buying them. I just prefer the current ones.

- Will
Old 31 May 2010, 15:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I have spilled more paint from the Foundation pots than I have from the old ones. Not sure why. The seal is pretty good, but I do like to be able to stack them.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

As someone who's got a history of spilling paints and paints drying out after not using them for a while, I welcome this change. They still look like they might be stackable, but since I store my paints on a low shelf all in rows, this will make picking out the right color even easier.

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 19:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Gah. This will only lead to furthering my migration to the Vallejo range.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 23:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Wait we know how well the foundation/ washes paint pots last ??? If you know how long the paint pots last if its not that old.

I wonder if you can make a windshield for a trukk. with the new pot tops.

Really with the dropper bottle comments on other websites. its not that hard to pour a little bit of paint out. I want my paint not to go bad and then have to go back to the store and buy more paint to finish painting something.
[hr]
Am I the only one that thinks the wash/foundation/new paints look like tau outhouses that are a little too small.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is only a cost cutting measure to increase their profit line. When my paints run out I'm going to be switching over as well.