Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Throne of Skulls
Old 23 May 2010, 11:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Throne of Skulls

Not the usual but seems GW is doing something about the Grand Tournaments. Info is light at this time, but it's in everyone's e-mail. Sounds like they will be expanding it worldwide or something.
Old 23 May 2010, 13:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Throne of Skulls

Just dropped into my Inbox:

[hr]

Incoming! Throne of Skulls Grand Tournaments

The Throne of Skulls is coming: Games Workshop's system for Grand Tournaments promising great games, friendly competition and the chance to enjoy the Games Workshop hobby: over to Jervis Johnson to tell you more.

Our Throne of Skulls Grand Tournaments are all about having a great time playing one of your favourite games. Over the years they have proved to be a huge success, and so we are now planning to run more of them, in more places round the world, than ever before. As part of this process we're updating the way we run our tournaments, to make it even easier for players to have the best time possible. Our aim is simply to get people together so they can play games, meet up with their mates and immerse themselves in the hobby for a day or two.

Tournaments are not just about fighting battles; there are lots of other things to do as well. They offer an unrivalled opportunity to make new friends and see some really great armies. You're sure to come away with some new ideas for your own collection, and hints and tips on how to achieve the best effects. There are usually plenty of other activities to take part in too. You'll find that a Throne of Skulls Grand Tournament is a fantastic way to celebrate all aspects of the Games Workshop hobby.

Look out for details of Throne of Skulls Grand Tournaments to be held in your area in the pages of White Dwarf magazine and on the Games Workshop website at www.games-workshop.com shortly. We look forward to seeing you at a Throne of Skulls Grand Tournament soon!

- Jervis Johnson
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Throne of Skulls 2010

So the rules pack for the Throne of Skulls is out. I am not convinced that I'll be buying a ticket this year.

The cost has stayed the same at 55 per ticket.
There is now 5 games instead of 6.
There is an award for each different army type that takes part, so if you are the only Tau player, congrats you win!
The overall winner is worked out on how much better you did against the other players that also have the same army as you.
You have to use armies that have an in-print codex, bad luck if you have Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters.
There is a favourite army vote so if you take evil lists don't expect to do as well.
In the event of a tie, the Tournament Organiser will decide which army roster is the best and this will be the winner.

What do you guys think of what they are doing?

cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had heard that, cykosis. I'm not the most competitive player out there by any stretch of the imagination. I like soft scores and stuff. However, I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with this event. This is really a laughable attempt at a tournament.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 17:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think GW are saying to their customers "We keep telling you that we didn't write the rules to our games so they can be used for competitions. We keep writing new codex and army books which completely unbalance the game which results in tournaments where you only see a couple of army builds on the top tables. If you want to play competitive war game with a balanced armies which is also fun at the same time, you should go and play Warmachine."

cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

That seems rather like giving the officials almost too much power here.
Favorite army vote is like the only thing that could be acceptable.
So if you do better than an army with a bunch of new players on average you win?

Will there not be people with space marine armies that may be new to the game and lose. Also if the other people that play your army are good players you are penalized?
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

I'm...confused. It feels like the tournament is more....themed than anything else. I know it sounds odd but that's pretty much what it's coming across as. Like it's not serious at all in almost any way, shape, or form.