Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultramarines the movie
Old 27 Sep 2009, 20:01   #11 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Ultramarines the movie

Well, I'm fine with this as long as it has a nice beginning that explains the history of the 40k universe in brief, so that the uneducated masses can understand.

-Matzilla
matzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 20:30   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The first thing I thought was WTF! I then thought, no, this is bad, it has ultramarines as the title characters. Overall, I'm not going to watch this film as it will be very pro-beakie and it will really downsize the cool races (can it be racism if none of the races exist?)

It is good however that a British company is producing this, if Hollywood got it's grubby little hands on it we could kiss our current hobby goodbye.

@ Icer, There's a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzilla
Well, I'm fine with this as long as it has a nice beginning that explains the history of the 40k universe in brief, so that the uneducated masses can understand.

-Matzilla
I don't reckon this is a film for the un-educated masses (although GW will use this to entice some into the hobby), but the film isn't that long (I think it said 70mins) so it's probably just another thing for the existing hobbyists

They will advertise it in White Dwarf and on their website and they will introduce some very expensive models to go along with it
Old 27 Sep 2009, 20:40   #13 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

The original Starship Troopers, not to be confused with the movie 'adaptations' of today.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 20:45   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

If it's anything like the start of the first Dawn of War then I'll be happy

And it was always going to be Ultramarines if a movie was made. I just wonder if it will tie into the Space Marine game that's due for release?
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 23:17   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

My first thought was that there's a hundred Chapters they'd have been better off using...

...and my second was the fact I couldn't think of any.

Ultramarines are iconic. I should know, I collect them. There's something delightfully... basic about them. Ultramarines are always where we start. Then we go off on tangents and explore new concepts, new ideas, new variations... but when we grow tired of that, we always return to the dependable comfort of the Ultramarines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 23:30   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

If there's more than three for the majority of the movie I'll be disappointed.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 00:39   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Depends on the magnitude of the problem. If they're in the face of a Waagh!, then 10-20 might be appropriate. A Daemonic incursion might rate a hundred, maybe even help from the Gray Knights.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 00:49   #18 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ScreamerKiller

I think it'd be interesting to just have the story based on a tactical marine squad, or something along the lines. If it were any enemy for them to fight, I would totally say Tyranids.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 00:59   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyBomb
Depends on the magnitude of the problem. If they're in the face of a Waagh!, then 10-20 might be appropriate. A Daemonic incursion might rate a hundred, maybe even help from the Gray Knights.
Hmm, Grey Knights fighting daemons while the ground still burns from a nuclear hellfire. That'd be worth watching. ;D

If it involves multiple high-ranking battlesuit-clad getting their asses kicked with impunity by fewer than 2 Space Marines, I will also be disappointed.

Speaking of wank, who's writing the script? :P

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 01:02   #20 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Hmm, be looking at the info they have further from that page.

Regarding the company:
Quote:

Codex Pictures is a London, UK-based film production company with a focus on high quality animated features for theatrical and DVD release.

The production team’s previous credits include the original highly successful and multi award-winning DVD trilogy BIONICLE®, produced for the LEGO® Company.
From the News section:
Quote:
The moment fans have been waiting for is finally here... for the first time, the Warhammer 40,000 universe will be realised in a feature-length movie on DVD.

Ultramarines is a 70-minute sci-fi thriller that will use CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques. Games Workshop is delighted to be working with UK-based production company Codex Pictures, who have the momentous task of bringing the Warhammer 40,000 universe to the screen.
Bet ya it won't make it out of the UK.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote