Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The truth on Gw price raise
Old 22 Aug 2008, 17:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The truth on Gw price raise

so we see several threads with some true info and some false/bad info.
here is the truth - source = one of GW director of retail accounts management. "direct quotes"

"On Monday August 25th a message informing end hobbyists will be placed on all of our websites"

"Prices will change September 29th."

"A message will appear in our October White Dwarf."

"The price increase will affect part of our paint and hobby ranges, as well as a large portion of our metal models and printed materials."

"Even with the pressure of rising costs we are adamant that we will not at this time raise prices on any plastic model kits. Providing high quality, great value kits is fundamental to our corporate strategy and will continue to produce and distribute them at the current prices for as long as we are able."

GTGU will recieve a full list of price changes in about 4 days and we will post them in this thread.
as you can see plastics will not change, and metals and white dwarf and paint may change. please ignore the rumors of "25% increases across the board" and such and wait for us to confirm all the data with direct information.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 18:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The truth on Gw price raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
GTGU will recieve a full list of price changes in about 4 days and we will post them in this thread.
as you can see plastics will not change, and metals and white dwarf and paint may change. please ignore the rumors of "25% increases across the board" and such and wait for us to confirm all the data with direct information.
A paint price change I found believable; the "25% across the board" felt like random scaremongering. Good way to get peopled riled up, whoever started it. :-P
Old 22 Aug 2008, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

And the grand cycle that can only end in bankruptcy continues unabated.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
Why do you say that?

I hope GW doesn't increase the price of the new rulebook...I still have to get it...
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 23:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Great this just means I will have to get my chaos havocs before the price goes up. 25% increase in everything just makes it not seem good. Oh well I do not like have many more metal models. I may need to get my chaos havocs soon.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 23:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Yeah my GW friend confirmed this also.
Metal models I can understand.
Paints I can understand also,
If the books are bigger then I can understand that

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Carson

At least the plastics are staying the same price. I remember hearing about a year ago GW wanted to release everything in plastics. This might be something that reinforces them to release as much as possible as plastics? Who knows.

Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Yeah my GW friend confirmed this also.
Metal models I can understand.
Paints I can understand also,
If the books are bigger then I can understand that
I agree, you don't buy nearly as much paint as anything else. And bigger codexes seem to be the trend anyway.

So what does, "large portion" for metal mean? What wont change?

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 03:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I really think the cheaper metal models will be the ones to increase in price. Like the chaos sorcerers at $10 will be increased a lot.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 05:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
I really think the cheaper metal models will be the ones to increase in price. Like the chaos sorcerers at $10 will be increased a lot.
Yeah but the last time they jacked up the prices I seem to remember it being pretty much every metal model, with the cheapest ones going up the most.

Nice to know what's actually going on, thank you for that GorillaTactics. Methinks I can wait four days to find out what those new prices will be. Glad my current project is like 90% plastic Dark Angels/Deathwing. Looks like those Sisters of Battle will have to wait until I strike it rich :huh:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
Well put. The way I see it, and this is just my educated guess, GW's continued price raising will have (at least) two effects - 1) Casual gamers, younger gamers, and pretty much all and any gamers without a lot of cash will be at best far less interested in the game and at worse forced from it out of necessity, which will then help fuel the second effect: 2) Local, neighborhood game stores will see fewer people playing the game in their facilities and moreover they'll be selling a lot less GW product as more serious gamers will almost certainly be forced to shop at discount online stores. Local stores will see their profits drop and thus order and carry less GW product, so fewer people will be exposed to the hobby that way. It's a nice little vicious cycle GW has set up. I realize GW's business model seems to be that with specialty items if you raise your prices your overall number of customers will drop but your overall profits will increase somewhat, and while that business model is a proven one, what they don't seem to realize or care about is that that's a really delicate way to run your company, and from what I understand it's really only meant to be a temporary measure and if you keep at it long enough even your most devoted customers will become disenfranchised and either lose interest or look elsewhere for their (in this case) hobby needs. Seems to me GW's been pulling this since at least their Lord of the Rings game tanked in popularity. At this point GW is really pushing their luck.

And if White Dwarf is one of the things to get a price raise then we all need to head down to GW headquarters and stooge slap everyone. I've been going back through my collection recently and it's amazing how good the magazine used to be and how much content it contained compared to what it is today. Some time around US issue #330 it turned into little more than a glorified catalogue for their products. Even worse, the most recent issues contain pictures that look like they were taken with a cell phone camera! If the price of White Dwarf goes up while the quality continues to spiral down the drain I will say good day to that publication which frankly would be the first step towards me giving up the hobby :-\.