Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forge World to Games Workshop
Old 29 Jul 2008, 16:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Forge World to Games Workshop

There are alot of rumors floating around about several Forge World items being converted to plastic kits fopr GW to sell. Just so you know the process GW has to turn the resin models into plastic sprues. Because of their manufactoring process, they can only produce a kit if it is 17 sprues are less. The exact reason for this I am not sure, the game developer I talked to really did not understand it himself. Or at least he was not able to explain it if he did understand it.

Two items that are in the works currently are the Thunderhawk's and the Ork Stompa. The Ork Stompa is currently down to 23 sprues, so just 5 more to go. I am not sure how many sprues the Thunderhawk has to go, but I was told that as soon as it hits 17 it will be on the market.

GW knows they have a ready market for these kits as well as others. It is just not an easy process to convert molded resin to plastic sprues in a cost effective manner.

BTW: I was tols the proce point for the Thunderhawk is projected to be around $200.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Forge World to Games Workshop

Hold on. Forge World don't make an Ork Stompa.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

17 Sprues? Most kits are much, much less than that. Are we talking super heavies and big flyers?

Anyway, I thought there was more to it than that. I thought the FW model needed to have strong chances of being purchased in numbers to justify the start up costs for conversion to plastic.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
17 Sprues? Most kits are much, much less than that. Are we talking super heavies and big flyers?

Anyway, I thought there was more to it than that. I thought the FW model needed to have strong chances of being purchased in numbers to justify the start up costs for conversion to plastic.
Yes I am talking about super heavies.

In the two cases I listed, GW has research that suggest that they will sell very well.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is no Forge World Stompa! I know NOBODY who would BUY a Stompa, because people who want them build them from cardboard! They're the easiest thing to scratchbuild! How could they sell well???

The Baneblade was plasticised because the Baneblade can be used by four armies. The Thunderhawk is two at best. It will NOT sell as well as the Baneblade, and the Baneblade did NOT sell as well as they had expected - certainly the huge piles of Baneblades in all the stores I've been in indicate that.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
Because of their manufactoring process, they can only produce a kit if it is 17 sprues are less. The exact reason for this I am not sure, the game developer I talked to really did not understand it himself. Or at least he was not able to explain it if he did understand it.
Possible logic is that they only have 17 molding machines they can run at once, or that they can dedicate to a single project at once. Perhaps for effective operation of their production to packaging line, they cannot run one sprue through a mold X times, stop, then switch to the other sprue (this would mean the other molds are useless half the time or they would have a 2:1 ratio of 15 sprues to the last 2 sprues). Perhaps even doing 8/8 or 9/9 could run too much of a risk of mismatched or incorrect counts of sprues in the final box. Is sprue picking for boxing automated or done by hand? That alone could affect the issue.

Just pure speculation on my part.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
There is no Forge World Stompa! I know NOBODY who would BUY a Stompa, because people who want them build them from cardboard! They're the easiest thing to scratchbuild!

The Baneblade was plasticised because the Baneblade can be used by four armies. The Thunderhawk is two at best. It will NOT sell as well as the Baneblade, and the Baneblade did NOT sell as well as they had expected - certainly the huge piles of Baneblades in all the stores I've been in indicate that.
It's the cool factor. The people who have the money to get a Thunderhawk probably have several armies, including a Space Marines army. And Space Marines are the most popular, most played army. It isn't really a bad idea.

As for "I've seen alot of Baneblades, therefore they didn't sell well"... I'm not certain that's a sound argument?

I do agree with you on the Stompa. But there will be some people...
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
It's the cool factor. The people who have the money to get a Thunderhawk probably have several armies, including a Space Marines army. And Space Marines are the most popular, most played army. It isn't really a bad idea.
GW's target audience nowadays are not going to spend 100 on a Thunderhawk for "cool" factor. And GW will not release something for "the people with the money for it." That's what Forge World is for.

Quote:
As for "I've seen alot of Baneblades, therefore they didn't sell well"... I'm not certain that's a sound argument?
Apocalypse saw hundreds of Baneblades piling into stores. Some people bought them, but there is absolutely no reason for Workshops to keep stocking up on that quantity of a single model when they don't keep selling at the same rate. They have more Baneblades on the floor in my local than they have pots of Chaos Black, and if Baneblades were and are selling that should not be the case.

You may call me Circus.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 19:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would buy an Ork Stompa and I'm sure alot of other people would too. Why? Personally I think over half the scratch built stompas look like crap. Putting 2 square pegs on a bucket and adding a head and guns doesn't make a good stompa. Now there are many good scratch built stompas, but most lack any real modeling effort. A kit with the detail of the baneblade would be great and if priced comparably to the baneblade would sell well. Orks have become a very popular army and many veteran players(i.e. ones with lots of money) play Orks and would most likely buy a Stompa.

You should also note Ork players don't always buy kits for simply that model, many kits provide useful bits for conversions. A stompa kit could provide an endless amount of bits for ork-ifying vehicles, or several could build a gargant. Usually scratch building is a response to an affordable model not being available. Make that model available and it will sell. Look at the Battlewagon rumors and the interest it's sparked. People have been using other vehicles for years but that won't stop them from buying an actual kit once it's released.

I think you're also overlooking the "biggest toy" factor. People want the biggest baddest kits around. It doesn't matter if they can use it regularly or not. I think a thunderhawk would fly off the shelves.

Your niche market of your local store isn't a reliable indicator of what's happening elsewhere. Certain areas are big on Apocalypse and other areas are not. The fact your store has an excess of baneblades doesn't mean they aren't selling, it could be something as simple as the manager over ordering.

I suggest reading similar rumor threads on sites like Warseer that have larger number of members from all over the planet. When you see threads with hundreds of people talking about buying at least one thunderhawk if it was released, it gives you a broader perspective of what the gaming community wants and is willing to buy.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 19:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
You should also note Ork players don't always buy kits for simply that model, many kits provide useful bits for conversions. A stompa kit could provide an endless amount of bits for ork-ifying vehicles, or several could build a gargant.
That's a very good point. I also think it depends on the kind of Stompa. If it's like the Epic Stompa I don't see why a kit would be necessary because the scratchbuilt ones look fine.

However... I can't remember who did it, but one of the guys here built a Stompa as a commission and it was AMAZING. If the kit were like that, I'd buy one.

Oh and by the way, if I don't address a point it means I agree with you and am backing down, not that I'm ignoring your comments and flying on regardless =)

You may call me Circus.