Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marines - Rumour Bunker
Old 27 Jul 2008, 09:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Space Marines - Rumour Bunker

Well here's the latest, and probably what we can consider as close to confirmed as possible at this point.

From The Bell of Lost Souls:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Games Day Chicago is over, and our Bothan spies tell us the following based on a review of Codex:Space Marines

In general, almost all of the latest round of rumors are correct. The codex is described as lavish, with a large color section, and clocking in at nearly 150 pages. Lets dive right into some of the details:

HQs
Master
Has well over 20 wargear options, and access to a once per game S:10 AP:1 Orbital Strike that is somewhat similar to the Witchhunter power.

Librarian
Leadership 10, and has an entire page of various powers. Big news is the Psychic Hood which now has a range of 24" instead of infinite.

Master of the Forge
Access to the Conversion Beamer, an old-school Rogue Trader era weapon with a 72" range that grows more powerful the greater the distance to its targets. At its top end, it is S:10 AP:1 Large Blast.

Elites
Terminators
Available in squad sizes of 5-10. Stormshields for Assault Termys confirmed as 3+ invulnerable vs all attacks (assault and shooting).

Techmarines
Has a power allowing you to improve the cover save of a single piece of ruins in your deployment zone by +1. Access to the Thunderfire Cannon, which is artillery and has multiple fire modes based upon 4 small blast markers. One of the fire modes makes its target count as being in difficult ground next turn. ~neat!

Honor Guard
These bad boys have access to "Relic blades" which are +2S powerweapons. Their squad leader is the "Company Champion" who is required to direct attacks vs enemy ICs if possible. ~cool!

Troops
Tactical Squads
Available in 5-10 men. Squads of ten grant access to Flamer/Multimelta/Missile Launcher/Heavy Bolter for FREE. ~Heed the words of the Codex Astartes indeed!

Scouts
WS/BS:3; the heavy bolter option has access to Hellfire rounds.

Land Speeder Storm
Scout transport land speeder nullifies enemy teleport homers and icons within 6". Enemy deepstrikers within 12" roll double scatter. Enemy units who are assualted from it are at -2 Leadership.

Combat Tactics
New marine special rule allows you to voluntarily fail any morale check for any unit in the army.

ICs
Shrike (Raven Guard)
Grants the entire army Fleet instead of Combat Tactics. He has rending lightning claws and Infiltrate.

Cantor (Crimson Fists)
Grants the entire army Stubborn instead of Combat Tactics. Sternguard Veterans count as scoring units.

~I'm thinking of two things. First is the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will ensue as folk's 6-man las-plas squads are consigned to history. Second is the awesome combos Combat Tactics and ATSKNF will allow. Things such as taking shooting casualties, then falling back out of assault range to blast away at assaulters comes to mind. I'm sure there are many, many other mean tactics this will allow. What do you guys think?
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 09:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: New Space Marine Rumors: Straight from the Codex

Bah, no info on the Salamanders characters, or Legion of the Damned.

Something else I've noticed too, all the Black Templars, Dark Angels, etc. players saying they're going to use the new book when it comes out. Am I wrong in being bothered/slightly annoyed by that at all? I mean they just recently got their own codexes (granted one in PDF/White Dwarf form, but still), and they're going to play with the vanilla SM book anyway? It feels like all that time spent on those codexes/models was wasted to me...we could have had Dark Eldar or Imperial Guard instead, and those players would have actually been grateful as they've been waiting since 3rd edition for some kind of attention (especially Dark Eldar). But since the new SM codex has the redeemer and all these other toys, the old update was pointless... :-\

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sidstyler, the reason BA/DA/BT players will be using the normal SM codex is simple. It's great.

Look at this objectively, the DAcodex has no special units. The only unique thing about it is the Deathwing/Ravenwing and proper vets(2A). Proper Vets are in new SM(Sternguard/Vanguard) and the Terminators come in bigger squads.

For BA, what was unique? Vet Assault Squads(Sternguard Vets in new SM), Furioso Dreadnought (in new Codex I believe), Death Company(nerfed big time and compulsory) and the Baal Predator (nerfed).

For BT, they had the EC, Crusader squads. Not much when you look into the great new things in the SM codex.

Overall, why should I use the BA codex for my Space Marines when the normal SM codex is (1) more fairly priced, (2) has new units that wll be very competitive and (3) is more flexible?

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Bah, no info on the Salamanders characters, or Legion of the Damned.

I found some stuff on legion of the damned - 3+ invulnerable, WS 5 for the squad leaders...and deep strike rules, but they can reroll the scatter dice i think...check out bell of lost souls, theres some pics of pages from the codex.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broker
Sidstyler, the reason BA/DA/BT players will be using the normal SM codex is simple. It's great.
Well I understand all that, but it still feels like a waste to me. They wasted time doing all those Marine projects because all the Angels/Templars players are just going to switch to the new book anyway.

I guess it means they'll be spending more, though...

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 14:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh, they were damn wastes of time. I reckon the new Codex will be able to represent Blood Angels fairly well, while being far more powerful.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 14:15   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broker
Well I understand all that, but it still feels like a waste to me. They wasted time doing all those Marine projects because all the Angels/Templars players are just going to switch to the new book anyway.

I guess it means they'll be spending more, though...
As for me I'm still going to be playing my Templar(I love the army, and we still have unique things to boot!), but I am planning on buying the new codex(thats a duh anyways) AND starting a new army. Something I've planned on doing for a while anyways, might do one of the "Chapters of Legend" or something like that.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 14:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The codex update sounds really good, can't wait now! ;D

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 15:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Hi guys,

Games Day Chicago is over, and our Bothan spies tell us the following based on a review of Codex:Space Marines (snip)
Hey! They stole my bit! :P

Anyway, some of this stuff looks a bit silly to me. I mean an entire unit armed with str 6 power weapons? 3+ invulnerables for assault termies? Potentially enough str 10 pie plates to rival an armoured company? Of course we haven't seen the pts values on this stuff yet. How many times have we seen a unit that looks absolutely stupidly broken in early rumours end up rarely being taken due to it's crazy high price tag?
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 15:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead

Quote:
Hi guys,

Games Day Chicago is over, and our Bothan spies tell us the following based on a review of Codex:Space Marines (snip)
Hey! They stole my bit! :P

Anyway, some of this stuff looks a bit silly to me. I mean an entire unit armed with str 6 power weapons? 3+ invulnerables for assault termies? Potentially enough str 10 pie plates to rival an armoured company? Of course we haven't seen the pts values on this stuff yet. How many times have we seen a unit that looks absolutely stupidly broken in early rumours end up rarely being taken due to it's crazy high price tag?
Streangth 6 power weapons? An entire unit? Grey Knight Terminators?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote