Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Codex Characters: What do you think about them?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Codex Characters: What do you think about them?

I'm guessing most of you have heard about the slew of new or updated characters rumored to be in the upcoming SM Codex. Personally I dislike characters in 40k, in most cases for 20-100 more points you get an HQ choice that you could never begin to achieve using a normal Captain or Master and arming them with neat gear from the armory. I haven't ever done the math to prove that, but at a glance 40k's super heroes almost beg to be picked over a DIY HQ.

Right now in my 1500 pt. army I run a chappy, usually as a Master of Sanctity unless I need to shave off some points to try out a different unit configuration, ect. I want to expand to 2000 points, so I plan on buying a LR and another tac squad and a commander box set, but now I might just wait and see what the new codex brings.

If any of the rumors I've read hold true, there will be a character allowing your elites to hold objectives, Lysander has bolter drill again, all the UM heroes are getting a face lift, plus like 4 or 5 all new characters we've never even seen. On top of all this character over-powerness, the already humble chaplain will no longer have WS-5, and litanies of hate may or may not make it in the new codex. Basically, GW is making me buy one of their freakin uber heroes, I really have no choice.

I suppose I could buy the commander box set and model him with the same weapons as one of the insanely point efficient characters, and just have him be a counts as. Alas, I wish I could just take a chaplain or a captain without getting a headache over the fact that for 30 more points my HQ could get some stupid new rule like "all your melta and flamer weapons are twin linked!" or "all powers have doubled range and you can use 3 more powers than a normal librarian in one turn even though this character only costs a few more points!". Bah.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black
Default Re: New Codex Characters: What do you think about them?

Yep i agree i liked when you could make a DIY super choppy character and then write your own fluff but now my commander is stuck as azreal due to the fact 4 wounds 2+/4+ save, 5 str 6 attacks (mastercrafted) + the option for your additional attack for ten points oh did i mention that 4+ inv save is given to the entire squad,
all for 20 pts more than a captain with 3 wounds 4 attacks at str 4 (lightning claws) and a humble 3+ save and 4+ inv and all he has to show for it is a plasma pistol

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Is it just me, or have regular captains always been the least popular option? I see regular chappies and libbies all the time, but regular captains, almost never.

Eh, at least if they're going to make chars crazy good, giving us variety is pretty much critical. i'd be pissed to see everyone with the save few guys.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 00:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not so sure if rites is that great, it will be once Marines get combat tactics (voluntary fall back if leadership is passed, in CC or otherwise). Right now though, when my marines take a test I usually want them to fail it so they can fall back and shoot the crud out of whatever just hurt them next turn, while having relocated to a safer position, and still being able to use heavy weapons.

Thats just me though, I run shooty armies for the most part. Heck even in close combat I want to fail any leadership roles I have to take, most units I run probably shouldn't be in close combat unless I'm desperate and trying to kill something with a p-fist Sgt.

I was thinking about it though, and there really isn't any way around except to either make DIY captains awesome, or at least very useful and point efficient like the current codex's chaplain is, or just go ahead and release these uber characters, cause mostly every armies codex has stupid powerful characters to choose from and currently the Marines seem to be a little lack luster comparatively speaking. Except for that UM libby, theres no point in taking a normal libby, you may as well run them as a counts as Tigurius.

So heres to hoping that the new captain is super point efficient, and I can continue to isolate and ignore other armies super heroes instead of lowering myself down to their level and taking a similar character.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 02:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally, I hate special characters. The only special character I ever ran was Abbadon that was when I first started chaos when the *new* 3rd Ed. Codex came out. When I run my Captains, its usually just a Power Weapon (sometimes mastercrafted) and a bolt pistol, and every now and then an Iron Halo or Adamantine Mantle. Other than that, I run them pretty cheap. It just frees up more points for the rest of my army while still giving them some limited effect.
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Ralter (Dakari)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Is it just me, or have regular captains always been the least popular option? I see regular chappies and libbies all the time, but regular captains, almost never.

Whenever I bring out my Marines, I always use a Master. Rites of Battle is such a useful rule. And, they're cheap compared to the other HQ's.
Dont get me wrong...I like it, but I don't know that it's that crazy compared to, say, a chappie. Chaplains don't require much in the way of wargear to make their squad crazy in CC...I wouldn't imagine they'd really be more than a master, generally. And, at least in fourth ed, marine leadership wasn't that big a deal. The chappie squad'd be fearless anyhow, and odds are you've got vets in whatever might get into combat anyway. Fifth might be a bit diff, though.

I really feel chapter masters should have the ability to take heavy weapons. He's the freakin leader, if he wants to grab a master crafted plasma cannon and wander torward the front line solo, I say, let him!

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 04:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Ralter (Dakari)
Quote:

Whenever I bring out my Marines, I always use a Master. Rites of Battle is such a useful rule. And, they're cheap compared to the other HQ's.
Don't get me wrong...I like it, but I don't know that it's that crazy compared to, say, a chappie. Chaplains don't require much in the way of wargear to make their squad crazy in CC...I wouldn't imagine they'd really be more than a master, generally. And, at least in fourth ed, marine leadership wasn't that big a deal. The chappie squad's be fearless anyhow, and odds are you've got vets in whatever might get into combat anyway. Fifth might be a bit diff, though.

I really feel chapter masters should have the ability to take heavy weapons. He's the freakin leader, if he wants to grab a master crafted plasma cannon and wander torward the front line solo, I say, let him!
Well that would go against all fluff wouldn't it

however i always Field a commander of some description and never Field a chappy.

Ld 10 is more important for me as i use the combat squads rules all the time and as much as And they shall know no fear is a godsend i like my marines to stay where i want them and frankly my win to lose ratio speaks in favour of my tactics

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I go for a Captain(BA Commander with statline of Chapter Master), and I kit him out with Duel Lightning Claws and a Jump Pack. Stick him with some Assault Vets and watch him have his fun! >

But I admit that Special Characters are ridiculous, more so in the DA/BA codices than the ordinary Marine Dex. In the Marine dex, they're all 150+ points, and they certainly lack the sheer effectiveness of the DA/BA characters(Mephiston or Azrael anyone).

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I never use Special Characters.
I've never really thought about their points cost, it's just the fact that none of them appeal to me. There are only two Space Marine Charcters I like the fluff and Wargear for and they are Azreal and Shrike. But, they're Dark Angels and Raven Guard. I have my own Chapter called the Blades of Purity.
I usually just take a Master of Sanctity. He already has a Crozius Arcanum and Rosarius, I add a Plasma Pistol, Artificer Armour and usually a Jump Pack and he's good enough to face off against most other HQ's.

Using the fact that Master's are cheaper than Chaplains as an excuse for using them isn't too effective because as soon as you've given them two basic weapons they cost as much as a Reclusiarch with his standard Wargear.

- [i]Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

These are rumours, and I'm shipping them to the News and Rumours section.

The new codex is not out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote