Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Review of the LOS "Markerlight"
Old 03 Jul 2008, 22:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Review of the LOS "Markerlight"

I just came back from a trip to Italy, and while in Rome, I went into an independent retailer. There I was shocked to see the stuff slated for release on the 12th worldwide (i.e. the 5th edition stuff), up for sale right then and there. We were pushed for space in the luggage, so the only thing I could get was the LOS laser pointer. I would have gotten the rulebook too if they had an English one. Just to make sure: these items should not have been up for sale but held back until the 12th, correct?

Anyway, on to the "Markerlight".

It seems to be a decent laser device, but I can see one rather large problem. It is about 4in long, and difficult to place where the model actually is, so this could lead to some whining about, "its not really where the model is" and the like. Also in confined areas (ruins and the like) it would be hard to use it without removing all the actual models you are checking LOS for.

On the other hand, I could see this (or any "pointing" device at all) could be useful for the debatable questions of "can my lascannon hit your commander through that tiny space?" If there is a disagreement you could just use this to show deffinitely whether it is or is not visible.

One point that is of note, but not really bad, is the "cross-hairs" with a normal laser pointer it projects a dot that doesn't really change size. This projects a "cross-hair" that does expand with distance. I don't really see this being a problem really though. just something to mention.

So, if you don't already have a laser pointer or similar device, I would recommend this. It is about the same price as the cheapest other lasers, and is obviously available to you.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2008, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Review of the LOS "Markerlight"

I think I will probably just use a low-powered laser pointer for this. How is the "Markerlight" on eyes? I had heard that they used something low-intensity to keep people from accidentally blinding their opponents all the time.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2008, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

We've managed perfectly fine without one, don't see why we need one now..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2008, 00:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I think I will probably just use a low-powered laser pointer for this. How is the "Markerlight" on eyes? I had heard that they used something low-intensity to keep people from accidentally blinding their opponents all the time.
I haven't really tested this. Due to the fact that it is in fact a real laser. But for now, I think it could only blind someone while it is activated and pointed at their faces. Or you stand there looking into it for a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
We've managed perfectly fine without one, don't see why we need one now..
I think because LOS disputes will be more common with real LOS. Sometimes a call could be objective.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2008, 01:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via ICQ to djhg Send a message via AIM to djhg Send a message via MSN to djhg Send a message via Yahoo to djhg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
to keep people from accidentally blinding their opponents all the time.
accidentally...

You're very trusting aren't you?

I already have a perfectly good laser pointer, and it's significantly smaller than the GW one so I'll just stick with that.

they are handy for LOS checking, but with the introduction of True LOS they will become somewhat of a necessity in competitive play.
I just hope there won't be any nonsense of moving models in accordance with the laser pointer.
wishful thinking i know, but oh well...
AIM::djHg013
Yahoo::djHg013
djhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2008, 04:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dave Taylor posted about it on Dakka Dakka. I forget the terminology for laser strength or intensity or however it's measured but it's very safe. The example was something to the effect of you would have to shine it directly in your eyes for an extended period to cause any damage but the pain of shining a laser in your eye for extended periods would most likely prevent all but the most determined from blinding themselves or others.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2008, 08:41   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The only reason I'd ever buy one is so I can strap it to my gun while playing LaserQuest. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2008, 10:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

i already have a small much more usefull pointer. im not buying this. but i cxan see the use of it. i do use mine when my oponentr doubt me to have LOS etc, to proove. and it is indeed a good use when the "true LOS" rule is in use
Old 04 Jul 2008, 12:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar, Master of Armour
Just to make sure: these items should not have been up for sale but held back until the 12th, correct?
Nope, Individual retailers can have their own release dates, That is how i got sammael on jet bike 2 weeks before release date.

But as for the LoS marker, I would prefer one that just projects a dot. I really don't like the cross hairs.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 13:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I see GW stores making you use their if you are going to use one while playing in their stores. This would be to prevent outside lazers that are non eyes from being a problem.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote